Wipe data/factory reset from ODIN

Search This thread

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
My phone is brick but I can still go to odin mode and flash recovery or modem. But it will not odin a one click rom, it get stuck at data.img. Is it possible to recover from this or should I just sent to jtag people....Dang! they charge $50..but I guess is better than a useless phone collecting dust.
The purpose of this OneClick is not to FIX your data.img lockup brick, it is to avoid getting it in the first place.

Once you have the /data corruption superbrick, JTAG won't work either. There are internal structures that are corrupted causing the phone to lock up whenever those corrupted structures are accessed.

You might have some luck trying to remap around the problem areas with parted and/or custom pit files, but if you have warranty available, I would use it to get your phone replaced.

Reactions: Indrid Cole

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
I will try this on my Samsung Galaxy Note, which has a lot of problems right now...

edit: Oohh no, it didn't work on my GT-N7000... Will have to keep on searching this forum...
As you found out, this OneClick was made for E4GT.

The purpose is not to FIX your superbrick. It is to avoid having it happen in the first place by doing wipe data/factory reset using a method that is safe regardless of which recovery/kernel you are using.

Reactions: Indrid Cole

K.0.0.L.

Jun 16, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The purpose of this OneClick is not to FIX your data.img lockup brick, it is to avoid getting it in the first place.

Once you have the /data corruption superbrick, JTAG won't work either. There are internal structures that are corrupted causing the phone to lock up whenever those corrupted structures are accessed.

You might have some luck trying to remap around the problem areas with parted and/or custom pit files, but if you have warranty available, I would use it to get your phone replaced.

Thanks for the tip. I got this phone not even a year yet. I got it with an upgrade n not sure if it have warrenty. Thanks again for the helpful tip..I'll look for some custom pit file to odin and see if any luck. If not then goes on ebay as brick.

Pastie13

Jun 27, 2012
sfhub, you came recommended to me from another thread.

My symptoms are about 2 weeks ago the phone started some random reboots, this is on the stock rom, at the same time I notice at each reboot it would reinstall the app updates and lose all my phone and text message logs. I tried to install other GB roms at this time, but none would take. I tried to install the Clockworkrecovery and it did not take. I have ran this 4 times and everytime it has passed in ODIN.. OC -SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097_ROOTED-oc-sfx

Here is the last log

5> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> recovery.bin
<ID:0/005> hidden.img
<ID:0/005> boot.bin
<ID:0/005> Sbl.bin
<ID:0/005> param.lfs
<ID:0/005> cache.img
<ID:0/005> zImage
<ID:0/005> factoryfs.img
<ID:0/005> data.img
<ID:0/005> modem.bin
<ID:0/005> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
<ID:0/005> Removed!!
<ID:0/006> Added!!

After the reboot, the phone looks and acts just like it did prior to me trying to put a new rom on it. Same picture on the screen, still has a screen lock on it. The only difference it is cannot message or make calls, it says I need to activate it.....which sound like I suspect a full install would have happen, but other things are still there like I mentioned.

Any help is appreciated:good:.

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
If you are still seeing your old data after flashing the OneClick you mentioned above, it is being restored or synced. It isn't coming from the OneClick.

I would suggest you do a ##786# reset from the dialer (you'll need your MSL, which you can get typing getprop ril.MSL in adb shell)

This will reset your NVRAM and android data (it'll leave your internal/external sd card untouched)

When the phone first starts up, it will do a hands-free activation and populate your phone #, then update PRL, and profile (populate your data login information). It may also check for firmware updates, I forget.

Just let everything run its course. You need to be in a Sprint native cell area for everything to activate properly (ie you can't be roaming).

Then verify everything is stock, prior to restoring any data or entering your google login info.

Assuming you are now stock w/o your original data, by carefully recording your future steps, you can see where things are being reintroduced.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastie13

Pastie13

Jun 27, 2012
First Thank you for your help.

I did the ##786# reset and it had the same issues as before.

Then I did the #786# reset and installed the OCEL29 on the reboot...

The screen looks the same, the lock comes back up, it did not give me the option of a hands free activation. So I did a manual activation, then cleared the PRL and Profile. It all works great. Signed into goggle, downloaded updates. Did about 10 texts and made a call.

Then I rebooted it and the same problem is there. The 10 texts I sent are gone, no call call log. It is trying to update the apps that I just updated prior to the re boot. It will not erase the "image" of when the phone decided to crash is what it is looking like.

Any more ideas?

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
One other thing - do you have Kies installed on the PC?
And if so can you check and see if any backups are made?
Also check your Google Account settings as it recently allowed to back most things up to the cloud - this may be part of the problem as well.

Pastie13

Jun 27, 2012
One other thing - do you have Kies installed on the PC?
And if so can you check and see if any backups are made?
Also check your Google Account settings as it recently allowed to back most things up to the cloud - this may be part of the problem as well.

Yes I have Kies, and no I was stupid, no back ups, this is my daughters phone. I understand about the Google, but how would that explain. 1. Text history and Phone call history erased back to July 16th on reboot. 2. I change the screen lock to none and then I check to see if it has none, then I reboot and the screen lock is back on a screen. 3. Random Reboots.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

I forgot to add that upon each reboot I have to enter the gmail password.

Last edited:

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
If not Kies there are apps that can back up call logs and sms to Gmail, which is why was curious. Don't know about the lock screen though...

Can you check the list of apps downloaded and see if any mention backup or restore in them? Or if willing include the list of apps downloaded.

Pastie13

Jun 27, 2012
If not Kies there are apps that can back up call logs and sms to Gmail, which is why was curious. Don't know about the lock screen though...

Can you check the list of apps downloaded and see if any mention backup or restore in them? Or if willing include the list of apps downloaded.

My daughter backed the phone up when the problems started, but that was too late it seems, I got all the photos and contacts off later on that day, and then I did the factory reset...which got me nothing.

She has a **** load of apps. I am going to guess at what is stock and what is not:
Talking Translator
Netflix
Flixster
Astro
Camera 360
ATK
Pandora
Triple Town
Redbox
Vevo
ooVoo
Skyvi
mp3 ringtone
Temple Run
Play Books
Instagram
Tunein Radio
Stardom
Tublr
Mega Jump
Bmx Boy
Pink Nation
Collage
Nordstom
Kik Messenger
Voxer
Glow Puzzle
Barcode Scanner
My Calendar
Gifboom
100 Floors
Knee Surgery
Plastic Surgery
Kies
Local
SMS Go Pro

Esoteric68

Jun 9, 2011
Hellabama
Any chance we could get this stickied? Pretty please?

With so many new people coming in I think it's a valuable tool for them to know about. :)

Reactions: feyrune

mylife0117

Jun 6, 2012
Could you please make one for GT-i9100? This is exactly what I need as I cannot reboot my phone after flashing a stock firmware, coz my home button is not working :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A few weeks back, I got tired of not trusting wipe data/factory reset from any ICS-based kernel's recovery so I put together a small ODIN utility to wipe /cache and /data

Here it is if anyone is interested:
    SPH-D710.ODIN_WIPE_CACHE_DATA.exe

You just double-click in windows, boot your phone to ODIN DL mode, and press Start.

No need to flash GB-based kernel/recovery just to do wipe data/factory reset then flash back to ICS-based kernel.

To be clear, the purpose is to have a "safe" replacement for wipe data/factory reset (recovery option) until we get the "fixed" kernels. It will wipe /cache and /data only, which is what wipe data/factory reset does. It will NOT wipe /system nor will it wipe your kernel.

In case people are not aware, there is a bug in the EMMC firmware (likely wear-level code) where if you issue an mmc_erase() it may result in a lockup/superbrick(). The reason it doesn't happen in GB is because GB doesn't use mmc_erase(). In ICS they added mmc_erase() into the code path initiated from make_ext4fs(). This is used by wipe data/factory reset in Recovery which is why we sometimes see the lockup/superbrick. Given that the problem is likely in the wear-level EMMC firmware code, it may not get triggered all the time even if mmc_erase() is called, but we are at risk whenever it is called.

As usual, you should be careful when flashing anything. I've been using this for 2 weeks now to test releases and haven't had any issues.
    No it just wipes data/cache. You'll still be on the same rom/kernel/modem, just starting "fresh"

Hey sfhub, how can we mobile Odin this from our phone again?
    Here is a tar.md5 (7zip self-extractor) you can use:

SPH-D710.WIPE_CACHE_DATA-sfx.exe

Double-click on windows (or use zArchiver on Android) and it'll give you the .tar.md5
    Q1 - Will this completely wipe all data, even from internal storage? How do I get my phone to go back to having only the basic folder/files needed to run?

Here is the reason I ask. I'm currently running Team Rogue Recovery. I just selected the Calkulin's Format All for E4gt.zip and ran it. It said it wiped a number of directories. After it ran, I then selected the Wipe > Factory Reset option. It said it wiped a number of directories.

However, when I go back and say "Choose .zip from Internal Storage", I see all these directories that were created by apps I installed that I thought would have been wiped. For example, I see a directory for BeWeather, CameraZoom, GoLauncher, GoLocker, etc. If I did a factory reset, shouldn't all those directories disappear from the internal storage?

Q2 - Assuming the answer to Q1 is yes, then based on the instructions provided, if I were to use this utility, it would clear out the data, but it would not remove the kernel. So could I use this utility while having a GB (EL29) kernel installed, and then flash a GB ROM?
    The purpose of this utility is to simulate the wipe data/factory reset option in Recovery using ODIN. The reason I put it together is there is a change in the ICS kernel where wipe data/factory reset does an mmc_erase(). This in turns triggers a bug in the EMMC firmware which could lead to your phone superbricking.

Wipe data/factory reset in Recovery will reset /cache and /data. It won't touch your SD card. This utility does the same, but does it in a safe manner that won't trigger the EMMC lockup/superbrick situation.

Don't expect stuff in /system (ie your ROM) to be reset nor your kernel. That is not the purpose of Wipe data/factory reset in Recovery. Its purpose is to get rid of your Android user data so you start from scratch.

If you are using a GB-based kernel/recovery, you don't need this. Your kernel/recovery doesn't issue an mmc_erase() thus are safe from the EMMC lockup/superbrick.
    My sentiments exactly. So SF, can thus be used in between flashing ROMS with mobile odin/ Odin?
    I cannot tell you for sure how it will work with Mobile ODIN unless I look through the source code.

After examining the problem code for Recovery, it appears the code that is causing issues is in the libext4_utils.a library. If Mobile ODIN links against an ICS-based version of libext4_utils.a, then it is susceptible to the problem. If not (or it never calls make_ext4fs()), then it is probably safe.

I will say however, that the purpose is to simulate wipe data/factory restore, not necessarily for the purposes of flashing a ROM, but rather to reset your Android user data. Wipe data/factory restore isn't exactly geared for ROM installs because it leaves /system untouched, which you probably want reset for ROM flashing.
    Thanks sfhub. Can someone upload the tar version for those who do not have access to a computer? Just wanna mobile Odin haha

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

You don't need access to a computer. I did what sfhub said. Downloaded Zarchiver from Market. Opened zarchiver, navigated to the exe file I downloaded onto my phone from the OP, long pressed the exe file, and selected "extract here." The tar.MD5 file was created on my external sd card. Mine shows up in Mobile Odin as a flashable file but I haven't tested it out yet. You're welcome to the file I created, but probably safer to do it yourself in case of a bad upload or download with dropbox.
    http://db.tt/XER4pAjp