Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

Mr. Vi

Sep 23, 2006
Berlin
I have some promissing news for ELF users: first I could boot into linwizard and after that even start the x server using ssh-over usb-ether gadget from my Mac. Now I switched to the android initrd I found around here somewhere and I even get to

init: HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN
init: reading config file
init: device init
_(blinking cursor)

but then the fun stops. If I plug in the usb wire I get some lines with cdc ethernet, so the system is still alive...

Hi squix!

Could you post your settings and the kernel you're using please? I just can't get Linux work. I want to try it first, and then go on to Android.

Thanks!

squix78

Feb 5, 2008
Be aware that is is for Touch/ELF!
I'm using the kernel from Linwizard 0.2.0, haret 0.5.1 and in the beginning the initrd also from Linwizard 0.2.0. My default.txt looks like this (you should adapt this to your running processes, which you find by connecting with telnet to your ELF and using "ps" to see the running processes.

kill QuickDial.exe
kill MediaHubMini.exe
kill APLauncher.exe
kill Biotouch.exe
kill tmail.exe
kill SAPSettings.exe
kill connmgr.exe
kill shell32.exe
kill cprog.exe
kill rapiclnt
kill repllog.exe
set MTYPE 1229
set KERNEL "zImage"
set INITRD "initrd"
Log log.txt
set CMDLINE "rootdelay=10 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=20504 init=/linuxrc rw quiet"
bootlinux

My image is one of th latest Blue Elves for ELF. Probably that offers more RAM than yours?

With the new linwizard kernel and the minimalistic initrd from this thread I get a tux and then a ANDROID and a blinking cursor. Then the screen either turns black or white... Hope this helps you to run linux...

revertive

Mar 26, 2008
Ede
Some interesting news on linwizard: Android First Full Boot

The movie in the news shows a fully booted android with a error but its progress. This is highly experimental, the touchscreen doesnt work so we can't go past the error message. But where @ linwizard are working on it. And we use our own initrd to boot into linux, then start android throught nfs because the image is too big.

Last edited:

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Hi All,
Ok, I've got the radio to work (for data only at the moment). Try the latest set of files at http://cs-alb-pc3.massey.ac.nz/vogue. For providers other than Telecom NZ you will need to put a username and password in the default.txt file. I don't know how other providers work but for TNZ this is the same username and password for everybody.
You should be able to use the maps app and go to the bookmarked web sites. To get the phone fully working we will need to write a ril library for android.
Obviously this is just for Vogue, no chance of it working on Kaiser yet.
Enjoy.

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
Hi All,
Ok, I've got the radio to work (for data only at the moment). Try the latest set of files at http://cs-alb-pc3.massey.ac.nz/vogue. For providers other than Telecom NZ you will need to put a username and password in the default.txt file. I don't know how other providers work but for TNZ this is the same username and password for everybody.
You should be able to use the maps app and go to the bookmarked web sites. To get the phone fully working we will need to write a ril library for android.
Obviously this is just for Vogue, no chance of it working on Kaiser yet.
Enjoy.

WOW this is AWESOME news! :) great progress thanks a lot! your are amazing lol... :)

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
so i have a question about the radio's current function:

when you say it only works for data..does that mean the only thing it does not work for is voice? or that internet capabilities are its current limit? i ask this because i am very curious about its abilities for text messaging and the like...?

thanks a lot :)

klmsu19

Oct 2, 2005
Yup works nicely. Data is a little flaky (or maybe just the browser) but the maps worked well. Sprint people just copy the files and run, dont have to change any config stuff.

Just need a keyboard now to input info and well be able to do a lot more with it.

klmsu19

Oct 2, 2005
so i have a question about the radio's current function:

when you say it only works for data..does that mean the only thing it does not work for is voice? or that internet capabilities are its current limit? i ask this because i am very curious about its abilities for text messaging and the like...?

thanks a lot :)

it only works for the browser and google maps thats it. theres no phone radio to make calls. And theres no email or text program in there as of yet so texting would be impossible.

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Text messaging won't work because there is no SMS application in the SDK. It wouldn't be hard to write one but some other things need to be done too. Audio is quite important, as is Power Management, I think I might write an on screen keyboard first though.

Red49er

Feb 1, 2008
How hard is it to slip software into the Android image? I was gonna wait until Android was officially released to start developing (I was sorely disappointed by the first revision of their SDK and I haven't looked at it since), but if its easy to drop apps in I'll start writing as soon as this damned senior design project is put to bed :)

Mr. Vi

Sep 23, 2006
Berlin
Be aware that is is for Touch/ELF!
I'm using the kernel from Linwizard 0.2.0, haret 0.5.1 and in the beginning the initrd also from Linwizard 0.2.0. My default.txt looks like this (you should adapt this to your running processes, which you find by connecting with telnet to your ELF and using "ps" to see the running processes.

kill QuickDial.exe
kill MediaHubMini.exe
kill APLauncher.exe
kill Biotouch.exe
kill tmail.exe
kill SAPSettings.exe
kill connmgr.exe
kill shell32.exe
kill cprog.exe
kill rapiclnt
kill repllog.exe
set MTYPE 1229
set KERNEL "zImage"
set INITRD "initrd"
Log log.txt
set CMDLINE "rootdelay=10 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=20504 init=/linuxrc rw quiet"
bootlinux

My image is one of th latest Blue Elves for ELF. Probably that offers more RAM than yours?

With the new linwizard kernel and the minimalistic initrd from this thread I get a tux and then a ANDROID and a blinking cursor. Then the screen either turns black or white... Hope this helps you to run linux...

Hi squix

I tried it with your settings and the files you mentionend. I even flashed the BlueELVE V5 to my device and tried it again.

All I get is this what you can see in the attached picture. I don't see a tux or anything. Only white text:

_CLK?
_CLK
_CLK

The last string is:
HTC INIT

and then it stops. Nothing happens at this point!

Do you or does anyone have an idea what is wrong?

Thanks, Vi

Attachments

• Bild025.jpg
    Bild025.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 203

squix78

Feb 5, 2008
Hi Vi

Are you using the zImage from the latest linwizard version? And before running Haret I soft-reset and close all other applications, including ActiveSync and the FileExplorer. You have to have as much free RAM as possible... Maybe I'm just lucky or forgetting something...

Good luck! I really hope you can make it run!

Mr. Vi

Sep 23, 2006
Berlin
Hi Vi

Are you using the zImage from the latest linwizard version? And before running Haret I soft-reset and close all other applications, including ActiveSync and the FileExplorer. You have to have as much free RAM as possible... Maybe I'm just lucky or forgetting something...

Good luck! I really hope you can make it run!

Yes but I renamend zImage to Image, because in the configfile it points to Image and not zImage or am I wrong?

With my previous rom I had after softreset and oxios hibernate about 25mb free memory. Are you running haret from the device or from your sd card?

suanccd

Feb 22, 2008
Yup works nicely. Data is a little flaky (or maybe just the browser) but the maps worked well. Sprint people just copy the files and run, dont have to change any config stuff.

Just need a keyboard now to input info and well be able to do a lot more with it.

Wow, this is amazing! Google maps works very well, however but not the browser. BTW, I am on sprint sero and no need to change anything.

squix78

Feb 5, 2008
Yes but I renamend zImage to Image, because in the configfile it points to Image and not zImage or am I wrong?

With my previous rom I had after softreset and oxios hibernate about 25mb free memory. Are you running haret from the device or from your sd card?

Yes, the kernel in the default.txt and the one on the device need to have the same name. I'm running from the device and it seems you have much more free RAM than I do! How big is your initrd? Mine is about 18.7MB. Is it possible that you own a different version and not an ELF? I get the CLK stuff too and after "HTC init" the tux appears and a lot more boot messages... Could you at least make the initrd from linwizard run?

Mr. Vi

Sep 23, 2006
Berlin
Yes, the kernel in the default.txt and the one on the device need to have the same name. I'm running from the device and it seems you have much more free RAM than I do! How big is your initrd? Mine is about 18.7MB. Is it possible that you own a different version and not an ELF? I get the CLK stuff too and after "HTC init" the tux appears and a lot more boot messages... Could you at least make the initrd from linwizard run?

I'm having the HTC Touch ELF (64/128, GSM version) I was just trying to run the linwizard initrd which is about 20mb big. I'll give the androidinitrd a try!

And I made a rom for you :)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=2129080&posted=1#post2129080

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..