[LAPDOCK] trying to fix HDMI-out resolution on JellyBean

Search This thread

Gizoid1337

Aug 31, 2006
Hello, I went and got a atrix hd as an upgrade from at&t, and I've rooted it, unlocked it's bootloader, and went and fastboot flashed I think 144 version of ics 4.0.4. my lapdock doesn't work like it used to. I just get very large mirroring, and most features work, other disabling tap to click. and something about auto backlit keyboard. I think I'm missing files or at least the dockservice isn't checking, kinda frustrating. also it's the 500 pro, was on ebay for 74.95, I should've checked this detail first. I just need the correct screen resolution, worked on the lapdock 100 I used to own

(I was due for an upgrade, and all the other phones did not have standard micro hdmi, which my xperia tl,i777 would sorta work under mhl but wouldn't charge, actually discharge)

souljaboy

Apr 30, 2009
put the settings> display> overscan to max. and thats the best you can get on the Atrix HD.

if it doesnt work, show us a pic. the bionic dock, 500 and 100 have the same res.

Gizoid1337

Aug 31, 2006
the display is mirrored and the overscan is set proper. everything just looks big, due to the dpi I'm guessing. I know changing the dpi to get a proper size causes the system ui to force close, so that's a no go.

Does anybody know which other droid phone can work with the lapdock 500 pro. The website mentions the RAZR, DROID 4 and RAZR maxx which one could be unlocked for at&t, at least work with the webcam and vga out

souljaboy

Apr 30, 2009
the display is mirrored and the overscan is set proper. everything just looks big, due to the dpi I'm guessing. I know changing the dpi to get a proper size causes the system ui to force close, so that's a no go.

Does anybody know which other droid phone can work with the lapdock 500 pro. The website mentions the RAZR, DROID 4 and RAZR maxx which one could be unlocked for at&t, at least work with the webcam and vga out

Thats what we call working here. You should of asked if you wanted more...

The razr and razr maxx both have proper lapdock support, and have GSM unlockable versions... just look for the codename there is XT910 and XT912.

Gizoid1337

Aug 31, 2006
Thats what we call working here. You should of asked if you wanted more...

The razr and razr maxx both have proper lapdock support, and have GSM unlockable versions... just look for the codename there is XT910 and XT912.

Sorry about that,

I remember having an atrix 2 that I had tried both the Bionic and 100 lapdock and they worked. Except the bionic had no battery meter or volume control, or multi touch.

I could have sworn that the Atrix HD worked with my lapdock when I originally had the phone. I went through a bunch of other smartphones until I renewed my contract and got another atrix hd.

I confused myself

Thank you for correcting me.

also correct me if I'm wrong, but the xt912 has LTE running @ 700 mhz, class 13. would that work with AT&T's LTE Network? I keep finding old articles saying that AT&T bought a piece of Verizon's LTE spectrum. Does that mean it's being implemented currently by AT&T?

diamond12

Nov 7, 2012
Los Angeles
Sorry about that,

I remember having an atrix 2 that I had tried both the Bionic and 100 lapdock and they worked. Except the bionic had no battery meter or volume control, or multi touch.

I could have sworn that the Atrix HD worked with my lapdock when I originally had the phone. I went through a bunch of other smartphones until I renewed my contract and got another atrix hd.

I confused myself

Thank you for correcting me.

also correct me if I'm wrong, but the xt912 has LTE running @ 700 mhz, class 13. would that work with AT&T's LTE Network? I keep finding old articles saying that AT&T bought a piece of Verizon's LTE spectrum. Does that mean it's being implemented currently by AT&T?
AT&T uses bands 17 (704 - 716, 734 - 746MHz) and 4 (1710 - 1755, 2110 - 2155 MHz), depending on the city. Band 13 (777 - 787, 746 - 756MHz) is Verizon's.

smogtdi

Jul 16, 2012
Montreal
My AHD is on 4.1.1 ATT (on bell ...) and rooted.

got a logcat when I connect just the HDMI to the lapdock (original atrix lapdock)

the bad : ExtDispService: setPublicState: 1|1|1|720x576|0|-1

w

the trick :

after the lapdock is plugged in, open a terminal window and as a superuser, run this :

Code:
echo 4 > /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fb1/video_mode

it will stick until you disconnect the hdmi wire (or lapdock)

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
I've been thinking and maybe it would be possible to take a stock ics kernel source, compare that with a JB kernel and see if the ICS hdmi code can be used with JB, stock or custom.

What's interesting is our ics smali indicates that we were intended to have Webtop 3.0. ICS also has native ethernet and printer services... They got rid of so many interesting things with JB.

/Damn I'm bored. I have mrsa and can't leave my hospital room.
//At least I have some Red Seal now.
///Don't respond to the hospital crap here. Lapdock only.

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Slight update on the latest KK kernel.

Had display partially working, but it was like it was in 1080p and only the upper right corner would show, checking /sys/blah/fb1 confirmed.

Only managed that twice. First was with a dead Lapdock 500 within 5 secs of plugging the charger. Second was about 3 secs into Carbon's boot animation. It's been the black blink as usual since.

Edit/update:
Did some searching and users of other devices have suggested that hdcp isn't supported by the dock (previous logs indicated that for us too) as well as mhl might need to be enabled. Mhl isn't* more than enabling it in the kernel source, not sure about hdcp.

I'm giving up with Funtoo and figuring out the right combination of use flags to get my gui to compile. Gonna just go Debian minimal and go from there....don't want to, but I also don't want to fight with my PC more than using it. ;)

*shouldn't be (if lucky) :p

Last edited:

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
Slight update on the latest KK kernel.

Had display partially working, but it was like it was in 1080p and only the upper right corner would show, checking /sys/blah/fb1 confirmed.
[...]
Did some searching and users of other devices have suggested that hdcp isn't supported by the dock (previous logs indicated that for us too) as well as mhl might need to be enabled. Mhl isn't* more than enabling it in the kernel source, not sure about hdcp.

I don't think it's HDCP. I have that disabled on my phone and Mokee 4.4 works just fine with my 1080p HDTV.

My hunch is that the lapdock uses DVI instead of true/full HDMI. Exhibit A: both my Droid Bionic and AHD display the same stretched image as the lapdock when hooked up to my 720 monitor via an HDMI to DVI adapter. "Information" shows a 640x480 resolution from both phones. That echo 4 > /sys command works perfectly, however, on my DVI monitor (stock JB).

I'm guessing 480p is the fall-back resolution on non-HDMI connections. Perhaps if the default/fallback resolution could be changed to 720/768 we might get somewhere?

Also, I'd be curious what would happen if connected to a 720/768p HDMI monitor. That would (dis)prove my lapdock DVI hypothesis.

Last edited:

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
I don't think it's HDCP. I have that disabled on my phone and Mokee 4.4 works just fine with my 1080p HDTV.

My hunch is that the lapdock uses DVI instead of true/full HDMI. Exhibit A: both my Droid Bionic and AHD display the same stretched image as the lapdock when hooked up to my 720 monitor via an HDMI to DVI adapter. "Information" shows a 640x480 resolution from both phones. That echo 4 > /sys command works perfectly, however, on my DVI monitor (stock JB).

I'm guessing 480p is the fall-back resolution on non-HDMI connections. Perhaps if the default/fallback resolution could be changed to 720/768 we might get somewhere?

Also, I'd be curious what would happen if connected to a 720/768p HDMI monitor. That would (dis)prove my lapdock DVI hypothesis.

Carbon works on my 1080p tv as well. I still think hdcp could be an issue, especially since we didn't have full hdcp support until one of the dev team members added it, which could explain the 4 working with stock jb and not now. For now it seems like it forces 1080p no matter what, but I have a 1080i tv I can test that with. ICS worked just fine with Netflix on that 1080i scrren.

I'm not positive what dvi settings the kernel has enabled, but I know there's something there worth looking at that.

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
Carbon works on my 1080p tv as well. I still think hdcp could be an issue, especially since we didn't have full hdcp support until one of the dev team members added it, which could explain the 4 working with stock jb and not now. For now it seems like it forces 1080p no matter what, but I have a 1080i tv I can test that with. ICS worked just fine with Netflix on that 1080i scrren.

I'm not positive what dvi settings the kernel has enabled, but I know there's something there worth looking at that.

On 4.4 cat /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fb1/modes returns only 480 and 1080, so that explains the forced resolutions and why echo X > gets us nowhere. I haven't checked on JB, but I'm sure that supports more modes.

Also, does the AHD recharge on the lapdock? (I haven't done the mod yet.)

skeevydude

Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
On 4.4 cat /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fb1/modes returns only 480 and 1080, so that explains the forced resolutions and why echo X > gets us nowhere. I haven't checked on JB, but I'm sure that supports more modes.

Also, does the AHD recharge on the lapdock? (I haven't done the mod yet.)

That's the same as I've noticed.

It charges.

What mod? Battery?

progrockguy

Feb 9, 2013
That's the same as I've noticed.

It charges.

What mod? Battery?

I have the bionic lapdock, so I either have to flip the ports or get extension cables to use the ahd.

Using JB right now and "cat" returns the same results. However after issuing echo 4, 720p suddenly appears alongside the usual 1080 and 480.

Wish I knew more about this kernel and hdmi stuff, but some things obviously got lost after 4.1. My best shot was to dual boot ICS with a custom boot.img and loop image system, but I could never get the ramdisk offsets right because last_kmsg had no mention of it.

Man I forgot how smooth JB (Holoblur) is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My AHD is on 4.1.1 ATT (on bell ...) and rooted.

got a logcat when I connect just the HDMI to the lapdock (original atrix lapdock)

the bad : ExtDispService: setPublicState: 1|1|1|720x576|0|-1

w

the trick :

after the lapdock is plugged in, open a terminal window and as a superuser, run this :

Code:
    echo 4 > /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fb1/video_mode

it will stick until you disconnect the hdmi wire (or lapdock)
    Good news. DRHD KK OTA works with the lapdock. Now I can't wait until we get our KK OTA.
    You shouldn't.

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app
    Have any of you tried the Lapdock on any of the 4.2 custom kernel roms? Just curious if they work with it. I don't have one so I can't do any testing....though I'd like one to play psx games in bed...touch screen controls just don't work for me with any emulator. I can hardly run around correctly in Link to the Past :p

I don't believe I've ever even had HDMI out

Sent from my MB886 using xda premium