MOTOACTV TCX Exporter

Search This thread

two_wheels

Jul 1, 2007
Did my first bike ride with the new version this morning, thanks for adding power, I have power and cadence numbers now from the power meter, well done superdave!

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Oh but one more thing (there's always a 'but')..... the power numbers are different from what I am getting from downloading the .csv from the Motoactv site. Avg power is showing as 186 on Motoactv's site and through their .csv, but the .tcx file shows it as almost 194 watts when imported into SportTracks. I have power data smoothing turned off in Sporttracks.. Any idea why they would be different? Thanks.

superdave

Feb 19, 2005
That is odd. Is the data from a route your wouldn't mind posting? The TCX and the CSV would help. I use the duration of a lap to determine which trackpoints apply to a lap. Its possible I am missing a trackpoint. Comparing the csv and the tcx should tell us.

Did my first bike ride with the new version this morning, thanks for adding power, I have power and cadence numbers now from the power meter, well done superdave!

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Oh but one more thing (there's always a 'but')..... the power numbers are different from what I am getting from downloading the .csv from the Motoactv site. Avg power is showing as 186 on Motoactv's site and through their .csv, but the .tcx file shows it as almost 194 watts when imported into SportTracks. I have power data smoothing turned off in Sporttracks.. Any idea why they would be different? Thanks.

superdave

Feb 19, 2005
The .csv (exported from Motoactv) and the .tcx from the same ride are attached..... Thanks!!!

Thanks that helps.

It appears the portal is smoothing the data to every 4 meters. That is what is throwing off the averages. The data from the watch and what is going into the tcx is not smoothed at all. When you export the data from the portal your getting that same smoothed data that they use. This is the reason for the discrepancies in the averages. There smoothing/estimating all the data points.

,Dave

stoudamire

Sep 17, 2010
Munich
stoudamire,

Sorry I missed that post the first time. How do intervals work, have you looked at the activity.db to see how they are stored. How are they shown on the portal?

Thanks,
Dave

No reason to apologise. I´m very grateful for your work.
You can set-up the intervals (and normal workouts) on the MotoACTV portal under "Planning". Then you have to do a manual sync in the wireless settings. After syncing, the planned intervals/workouts are shown under "workout" -> "run" -> "outdoors" -> "planned".
I attached a screenshot which shows how intervals are shown on the MotoACTV portal.
I´m not sure but I guess the corresponding data is stored under "workout_sub_activity" in the activity.db.

Last edited:

superdave

Feb 19, 2005
Yeah workout_sub_activity would be the equivalent of lap details for an interval workout. There appears to be a corresponding entry for each interval, shouldn't be to much to check for a workout activity id in this table and if its there use it instead of laps details.

No reason to apologise. I´m very grateful for your work.
You can set-up the intervals (and normal workouts) on the MotoACTV portal under "Planning". Then you have to do a manual sync in the wireless settings. After syncing, the planned intervals/workouts are shown under "workout" -> "run" -> "outdoors" -> "planned".
I attached a screenshot which shows how intervals are shown on the MotoACTV portal.
I´m not sure but I guess the corresponding data is stored under "workout_sub_activity" in the activity.db.

superdave

Feb 19, 2005
Version 1.7 posted

Added steps to lap details
Uses workout sub activity (intervals) if available for lap details.

stoudamire,

Please let me know how this works, I only had a interval setup that used time for the splits to test. Ill try to get one in with distance if the rain today holds off.

stoudamire

Sep 17, 2010
Munich
Version 1.7 posted

stoudamire,

Please let me know how this works, I only had a interval setup that used time for the splits to test. Ill try to get one in with distance if the rain today holds off.

Wow, you are unbelievable. I´m going to test it tomorrow. Thanks a lot.
I would be happy to send you a small amount via paypal if you send me your adress via PM.
Your app saves me a huge amount of time and made the MotoACTV one of the best GPS watches on the market. :good:

superdave

Feb 19, 2005
Your welcome, there is donate link next to my username. Its not necessary, but, very much appreciated.

,Dave

Wow, you are unbelievable. I´m going to test it tomorrow. Thanks a lot.
I would be happy to send you a small amount via paypal if you send me your adress via PM.
Your app saves me a huge amount of time and made the MotoACTV one of the best GPS watches on the market. :good:

jmcourir

Feb 7, 2009
Québec
Please help...

Please help,

I have tried to update to 1.7 and now having this error.... what should I do?
20120905-ym0-105kb.jpg

JmCourir,

Attachments

• 20120905-ym0-105kb.jpg
    20120905-ym0-105kb.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 112

superdave

Feb 19, 2005
Hey JmCourir, it looks like your trying to install the settings.apk. That cannot be installed through adb install. Maybe you download the wrong file?

Thanks,
Dave

Please help,

I have tried to update to 1.7 and now having this error.... what should I do?
20120905-ym0-105kb.jpg

JmCourir,

Last edited:

jmcourir

Feb 7, 2009
Québec
Hey JmCourir, it looks like your trying to install the settings.apk. That cannot be installed through adb install. Maybe you download the wrong file?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for replying,
I was too much excited about steps version 1.7 hehe.

I just did a run test and steps are at the end of the file. Very nice! Thank you very much for that 1.7 version.
:good::good:

JmCourir

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Hi Dave,

I just sent you a little DONATION for your good work !!! :victory:

WELL DONE!!!

Have a nice day!

JmCourir

pocketedgejr

May 26, 2011
I was running 1.5 when I noticed an issue - had it happen twice so I came here and noticed 1.7 is out so I upgraded, then foolishly didn't reproduce the circumstances in my fatigued state.

Basically what happened was I didn't completely close out a workout (paused but did not end, then end again in the summary) and plugged it into the USB port. Closing out the workout when the device is plugged in either didnt trigger 1.5 or 1.5 failed to work properly.

The 1st time I had the motoactv software setup to autosync to motoactv.com and lost the workout due to this. I removed my wifi setup and turned the software sync off of auto.

The 2nd time I didn't lose the workout, but I had to manually export it.

My last run was away from home so I had time to remember to fully close out the workout vs coming in from the run and plugging it in right away.

I'll attempt to reproduce in a day or two when I go back out, but I figured I would throw this out there to see if anyone else had it happened or something jumps out in the code.

superdave

Feb 19, 2005
pocketedgejr,

The app listens for com.motorola.android.intent.action.WORKOUT_COMPLETED which is set when the end workout button is pressed. I have tested hitting this button with USB connected in adb mode and it works fine. I'll do some testing with it when adb is not running. When you say you lost your workout do you mean the motoactv sync deleted the non finished workout?

Thanks,
Dave

memtd

Sep 11, 2012
Run Cadence

superdave,

First of all thank you for this program. It makes the motoactv so much more useful!

I am not sure how the watch tracks indoor vs. outdoor running. When running "outdoors" I use both the GPS and a foot pod. Motorola does not show run cadence on their website and the tcx export does not either. Are they not recording this metric when running "outdoors"?

Thanks,
Matt

pocketedgejr

May 26, 2011
pocketedgejr,
When you say you lost your workout do you mean the motoactv sync deleted the non finished workout?

Yes. This is just a guess but I would assume that the workout looks (for all intents and purposes) finished in the DB and there just wasn't a signal thrown until I click a frowny face and end. I believe it was the USB sync that did it.

pocketedgejr

May 26, 2011
Ok, so I went out and managed to do it "correctly" this time and the results are the same.

Pause workout, go to computer and plug into USB, remember I have to end workout and go through that process.

Hit import on SportsTracks and it pops up to the F: drive that is the motoactv. Workout file from the 9th is visible but nothing from the 11th.

Now:
I tried to launch the manual exporter just now (I have launched it in the past) and I'm getting a force quit error

"The application settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

I just rebooted (held button until I could select power down on screen) and its still doing that. Being plugged in seems to be the issue. I tried launching it with it plugged in with adb on and off with no luck. Unplug the USB cord and its just fine.

I wonder if the Motoactv software isn't part of the problem. If the software is up (saying please plug in a device) when adb is active it seems to interfere (I can't adb at all, it says device not found I have to kill the software then unplug/replug the device). I don't really use it anymore except for some manual syncs with the website so I can browse some workout results on lunch.

Anyways. now that the manual exporter launches I exported the workout without issue and can import it now.

I'm running Windows 7, whatever kernel the easy rooter kit uses on a 8gig device. I have the latest Motocast installed (what I believe to be the source of the issue)

stoudamire

Sep 17, 2010
Munich
Ok, so I went out and managed to do it "correctly" this time and the results are the same.
Pause workout, go to computer and plug into USB, remember I have to end workout and go through that process.

It looks like you have USB debugging disabled. Consequently, the app cannot work because the internal sd card is always mounted via USB when you plugin your MotoACTV. As the GPX files are written on the internal SD card, you get the error message because the internal sd card is not accessible.
As superdave already wrote, just push the end button before you connect the device via USB (is there a reason why you have not done that before?). If you want ADB access again, you have to reinstall the ROM.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

@Superdave: The change for interval workouts works perfectly. However, I have another (really small) request. Could you change the setup of the output filenames that it always includes double figures ("workout_XX.tcx")? Currently, the first workout is saved as "workout_1.txc". However, I would prefer if it is saved as "workout_01.txc". It helps because the files are usually sorted alphabetically within apps (i.e. Dropbox) and then the file at the bottom will always be the last workout. I really hope you do understand me. :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Attached is a custom service for the MOTOACTV that will export the workout data table to a TCX file on the SD Card. The TCX file will be automatically created every time a workout ends and will be named with the unique id of the workout. This app is a work in progress, try at your own risk.

,Dave

Version 1.1
    Service now exports Garmin TCX file.
    Added export app to manually export workouts.

Version 1.2.
    Lap Heart Beat Average skipped if 0.
    Skip Lat/Lon if not valid

Version 1.3
    Corrected naming of auto entered lap.

Version 1.4
    Added workout activity lap check and use default value of 6 hrs for 1 lap duration if not found.

Version 1.5
    *Apps changed to a release key, uninstall of old version required before install.
    Added DistanceMeters to trackpoints
    Corrected issue where workout id was being used instead of workout activity id for lap details lookup.

Version 1.6
    Combined manual app and service into one app. The previous two apps will need to be removed before installing.
    Corrected issue with sport type for biking
    Added power
    Corrected issue with run cadence and biking cadence.

Version 1.7

Version 1.8
    Changed TCX filename to include Timestamp
    Added Settings (Use menu then Click settings to access)
    Added DropBox auto export (must enable in settings) *In Testing
    Added Google Drive auto export (must enable in settings) *In Testing
    Added Runkeeper auto post with Facebook option (must enable in settings) *In Testing

Version 1.9
    Corrected issue with default value of local TCX pref (was set to false instead of true)
    Corrected issue with manual exporting requiring wifi for local TCX only export.

Version 1.10
    Corrected Wifi state on preference change check.
    Added settings button to main form (scroll up to see it)

Version 1.11
    Improved user interface for settings
    Added auto Wifi disable on app exit (optional)
    Added Wifi enable button.
    Removed automatic Wifi enable and waiting.

Known Issues:
    Lap info not calculated correctly after pausing and resuming a workout.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ADB Commands

#Install
    adb install Motoactv_export.apk

#Uninstall
    adb uninstall com.sdsoft.motoactv_export
    adb uninstall com.sdsoft.sd_csv (if coming from old version)

#Start Motoactv_export without having a launcher
    adb shell am start -n com.sdsoft.motoactv_export/com.sdsoft.motoactv_export.MainActivity

#View debug logs
    # For Motoactv export launch the app, run the following command then click export
    adb logcat MainActivity:V *:S
    adb logcat AndroidRuntime:V *:S

# For the service run the following command, start and stop a workout, then click End workout .
    adb logcat SYNC_Service:V *:S
    adb logcat AndroidRuntime:V *:S

* Added optional modified settings.apk that has an Export TCX option that will launch the manual TCX exporter app. Only use if your on stock roms or your settings.apk has not already been modified.
    # To install
    adb remount
    adb push Settings.apk /system/app
    adb reboot
    This app is now open source and can be viewed at https://github.com/superdavex/Motoactv_export
    Please use this site to track in issues with the app.
    Strava upload

I've added a strava upload feature, this is *very* hacky at the moment, but thought anyone else still using this might be interested, I will clean it up a bit (lot) more. (check for upload success/failure etc!)
    https://github.com/ihewitt/Motoactv_export

Edit:
    cleaned up error conditions.
    attached built apk with api keys.
    updated to v13. added cadence estimation.
    I am just now starting to get to some of these issues. If you have a repeatable issue please re-post it, a consolidated list would be great. So far I have corrected the runkeeper data to include heart rate. I don't see the issue with only Google drive being able to be enabled at first. I also cant repeat the issue with google drives credentials token not being stored. Is anyone else having these issues? The other issue im trying to track down is the tcx not accounting for a pause.

ETA:
    I am working to set up a github for this now. The source will soon be GPL v2.
    Thanks JmCourir,

Glad its working for you.