Camera problem: red/blue/purple noise in low light photos

Does your One have red/blue/purple noise in low light photos?

• Yes

Votes: 1,590 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 180 10.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
@Floris2310
Yes I am fully aware and have tested more than those scenarios. It seems like we have a oversaturated device in our hands. I noticed in the other HTC One the pictures were yellowish(warm) and colors are not as bright as ours.

damn, bad news then. Probably a stupid question but did you check the ISO settings on the device?

There are two possible scenarios here:
1) We have a sensor which is acting weird/broken
2) There is something wrong with the ISO selection and it typically takes an ISO to high which causes the red image

I think (read: hope) the second option is more likely and the good news is that this would probably be a software rather than hardware issue.

I think our issue is related to exposure and saturation.

Anyway, thanks @Riyal for checking this!

@Riyal

This is horrible :crying: @#$%!

If this is truly confirmed and there are a number of One's out there with broken sensors, than I think this thread should be renamed so that all users know about this problem. Maybe some of them, looking to buy the One, can do the camera test before purchasing a faulty unit!

I just got my One and I'm falling in love with it and now I have to take it back and be without it... :rolleyes: More over, the great HTC-partner service we have here doesn't not know the meaning of the word "replacement" and they will most surely try to open and fix it (oh the horror!!) ...

I'm also in that situation. I purchased the device from Europe and I live in asia imagine the hassle I would need to get it fixed/replaced.

Reactions: NxNW

Karish1989

Mar 19, 2008
Leiden
hmm when i put mine phone on table with camera on everything is black.. but if have the phone on mine hand . then it's red... and if I put the camera on mine for hand then everything is black :confused:

Sorry for mine bad english

Ps. I don't think camera is broken or something .. it's just because your hand (back) is a lot more red then your (for) hand

Last edited:
Reactions: NxNW

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
@Floris2310
I already tried it on the leaked 4.2.2 still the same.
I would wait a little longer before returning the device. The 4.2.2 update is just around the corner and I have read somewhere that there are some camera improvements. Perhaps the issue is fixed with the update. If it's a software problem that is.

@Karish1989
Mine is alway red wherever I put it. Even if I cover it with an opaque object.

hmm when i put mine phone on table with camera on everything is black.. but if have the phone on mine hand . then it's red... and if I put the camera on mine for hand then everything is black :confused:

Sorry for mine bad english

Ps. I don't think camera is broken or something .. it's just because your hand (back) is a lot more red then your (for) hand

Xerro-Five

Apr 16, 2013
Vancouver
damn, bad news then. Probably a stupid question but did you check the ISO settings on the device?

There are two possible scenarios here:
1) We have a sensor which is acting weird/broken
2) There is something wrong with the ISO selection and it typically takes an ISO to high which causes the red image

I think (read: hope) the second option is more likely and the good news is that this would probably be a software rather than hardware issue.

Anyway, thanks @Riyal for checking this!

After reading the posts here and trying more things on my phone, I'm 90% sure it's just an ISO utilization issue. Look at all the posts confirming that the red is in pictures taken higher than ISO1600. To confirm I manually set the ISO to each of the settings 100,200,400,800,1600 and repeated my tests. The red didn't show up until 1600 even when completely dark as before.

This could be easily fixed by an update.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Reactions: spreet

VictorC

Apr 24, 2013
Bucharest, Romania, EU
After reading the posts here and trying more things on my phone, I'm 90% sure it's just an ISO utilization issue. Look at all the posts confirming that the red is in pictures taken higher than ISO1600. To confirm I manually set the ISO to each of the settings 100,200,400,800,1600 and repeated my tests. The red didn't show up until 1600 even when completely dark as before.

This could be easily fixed by an update.

@Xerro-Five @Riyal

I tend to agree with this, somehow... but It doesn't explain why some shots appear red and others don't, using the same ISO.

For example - the pictures below... They're both shot in the same lightning condition and both on full auto ->
- fist image, ISO 2000 and red all over because I steadied for the shot,
- the second shot - full auto and ISO 2000, but taken in the first 3-4 seconds, right after the focus was set... If i had waited longer, the redness would have set in...

sDIBlHN.jpg

Last edited:

Xerro-Five

Apr 16, 2013
Vancouver
@Xerro-Five @Riyal

I tend to agree with this, somehow... but It doesn't explain why some shots appear red and others don't, using the same ISO.

For example - the pictures below... They're both shot in the same lightning condition and both on full auto ->
- fist image, ISO 2000 and red all over because I steadied for the shot,
- the second shot - full auto and ISO 2000, but taken in the first 3-4 seconds, right after the focus was set... If i had waited longer, the redness would have set in...

sDIBlHN.jpg

I can't say if this is the sole reason or not, but I've noticed that situation too which I attributed to the sensor trying desperately to collect more light. Meaning that initially the effect is minimal because it hasn't had a chance to build up noise yet, but then the high ISO combined with the longer exposure times would later lead to noise. Trouble is I'm not sure how to test that to prove or disprove it... All I could do was observe that increasing the exposure time worsened the effect and lowering it helped. But I can only lower it to -2 which was not enough to stop the red.

This could also be a unique issue of "ultrapixels" I don't remember off hand how the dimensions of these pixels compare to a dslr sensor etc... But you know, new tech and all :confused:

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

The one thing we know for sure is that the color is noise. Which is why I still believe it's just an optimization issue that can be resolved by update.

VictorC

Apr 24, 2013
Bucharest, Romania, EU
I took some time tonight and shot some comparisons pictures with the One and my old One X and the results made me relax a little about the quality of the camera in low and very (I mean very !) low light.

It may be just an ISO setting error that could be fixed with an update and not necessarily mean that the camera sensor is faulty like @Xerro-Five said.

But... Still, i just cannot manage to capture a photo with a perfect (or near perfect) black as the ones in some tech reviews (EX: Anandtech's review of the One) . There is some difference in colors between auto mode and night shot (See below)

Compared to my old One X - it obliterates it in very low light. It just captures more light and more detail, admittedly turning more dark stuff into blueish noise. But see for yourself...

->>> For this picture there was an orange light post a bit far away from my position and a faint green neon on one building closer... The sky was reddish from the city lights...

JwnokTE.jpg

And now some One to One (X) shots :)

J7I7sJJ.jpg

okIUlEb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Xerro-Five

Ardmanz

Nov 2, 2011
I have the same issue but not all the time and it's difficult to recreate.

What I did notice is that I can see it on the phone before I take the shot (it doesn't look normal then I take the pic and it's weird). I will do some more testing on mine and report back.

Mine still has the 1.28 firmware btw.

VictorC

Apr 24, 2013
Bucharest, Romania, EU
I have the same issue but not all the time and it's difficult to recreate.

What I did notice is that I can see it on the phone before I take the shot (it doesn't look normal then I take the pic and it's weird). I will do some more testing on mine and report back.

Mine still has the 1.28 firmware btw.

@Ardmanz Please do some testing if you can :) We are all here (I think) on the 1.29 ... If this turns out to be just a software problem that could be corrected without returning the phone or getting it into service, I think that would be a big win for some users here, me included :)

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
@VictorCozmei
But if this is a software issue others should have the same results as we have the same hardware. Or probably HTC One is using different sensors? But I dig it already up to the kernel level and all I can see is the ST VD8689 sensor driver.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
@VictorCozmei, @Xerro-Five, @Karish1989 & @Ardmanz

Good news! Been messing with tweaking the sensor drivers since yesterday and look at the results! :good:

Took it from my device just now and covered the camera with my hand :D

Check the exif info :laugh:

Still not perfect yet though but we're close!

Any professional photographer there good in playing with BGR gain values?

I am not good with these apparently all my adjustments so far are a fail.

1st attempt = grey with a little pink and full of white powdery noise.
2nd attempt = full grey and full of white powdery noise.
3rd attempt = almost perfect bat very2x dark!

I need to balance the red and blue gains but still maintain the white balance.

Please note I am tweaking the sensor driver directly in the kernel. So for this fix to work you need to flash a custom kernel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 5,159
  • IMAG0063.jpg
    IMAG0063.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 5,182
  • IMAG0064.jpg
    IMAG0064.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 5,146
Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Another update guys! I already resolved the dark issue problem now is when taking pictures in daylight it's somehow greenish now :(

I really need someone with knowledge about this as I'm just blindly inputting random values.

Anyway I'm off from now and back to my previous kernel... Gonna get back on this some other time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 3,415
Last edited:

Xerro-Five

Apr 16, 2013
Vancouver
@VictorCozmei, @Xerro-Five, @Karish1989 & @Ardmanz

Good news! Been messing with tweaking the sensor drivers since yesterday and look at the results! :good:

Took it from my device just now and covered the camera with my hand :D

Check the exif info :laugh:

Still not perfect yet though but we're close!

Any professional photographer there good in playing with BGR gain values?

I am not good with these apparently all my adjustments so far are a fail.

1st attempt = grey with a little pink and full of white powdery noise.
2nd attempt = full grey and full of white powdery noise.
3rd attempt = almost perfect bat very2x dark!

I need to balance the red and blue gains but still maintain the white balance.

Please note I am tweaking the sensor driver directly in the kernel. So for this fix to work you need to flash a custom kernel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I admire your determination, I really do :thumbup:

However I would save yourself the headache for now and at least wait it out for this week as there's been a lot of talk of a 4.2.18 update hitting our phones shortly. It's my understanding that some in EU already have it. There's a pretty solid chance they tweaked the calibration so it may fix the issue.
Also adjusting the gain is a losing battle for this IMO because gain, unlike hue or saturation changes the other colors as well (as you saw with the inadvertent shift to green by dropping the red - that's exactly what you would expect to happen). If you dropped blue it would turn yellow and so on. Also since it's noise, the gain won't solve the real underlying issue.

VictorC

Apr 24, 2013
Bucharest, Romania, EU

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Here is a couple of example of my issue:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96175074@N02/8894567246/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96175074@N02/8905981682/

One of them isn't even in low light so it may be a different issue.

Most shots are ok but the odd one comes out like that.

:p these are private photos can't see anything

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Hopefully you're correct. But the issue is in our sensors and not thru software. If HTC calibrates the software other users without this issue would be affected.

But since this can be fixed by software hopefully they can workaround the issue. But recieving a negative response from them about this issue I am assuming they haven't recieve any reports yet and am really doubtful this will be fixed on the next update. And like I said I already tried the 4.2.2 update that was leaked and it was not fixed yet.
I admire your determination, I really do :thumbup:

However I would save yourself the headache for now and at least wait it out for this week as there's been a lot of talk of a 4.2.18 update hitting our phones shortly. It's my understanding that some in EU already have it. There's a pretty solid chance they tweaked the calibration so it may fix the issue.
Also adjusting the gain is a losing battle for this IMO because gain, unlike hue or saturation changes the other colors as well (as you saw with the inadvertent shift to green by dropping the red - that's exactly what you would expect to happen). If you dropped blue it would turn yellow and so on. Also since it's noise, the gain won't solve the real underlying issue.

VictorC

Apr 24, 2013
Bucharest, Romania, EU

Ardmanz

Nov 2, 2011
It does looks similar to what I'm experiencing with my camera. I'm looking at the photo in daytime and I see some blue tint at the edges where it was supposed to be black. If you take picture during the night, let's say on a city street, do the blacks in the picture turn blue-ish or purple?

I'll take some tonight and post them up.

Reactions: VictorC

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so I've done some tests after the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 update

I have good news and bad news...

The good news
    is: Apparently HTC did put some software in it to try and solve the blue/red/purple camera problem and it sort of works...

The bad news: It sort of works only in 5% of moments (at best)... :mad:

In some moments I felt that the images I got were better than the ones I could've got before... And I can definitely see when the software thingy kicks in: After 2-3 seconds when the noise builds up, it jumps right in and the image becomes darker, but with less noise...

The problem is it doesn't eliminate the noise and in a lot of moments I got the same results - the image would gather more and more purple/red/blue noise as the seconds went by.

Worse still, at some point the phone goes crazy and, i guess it's due to the software patch, the screen goes like a Christmas tree light: white noise - blue noise - purple - red noise - black - no noise....

So... The pictures below are a comparison between my first unit (the one that took the pictures in the original postin the thread) and my current (new/replacement) unit in the first days, after a while (when it started presenting the same problem) and now, after the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 Update.

Note: I selected the best shot sample from the 4.3 update batch

G6PtzDK.jpg

FsylKmw.jpg

l8BNmsw.jpg

WW5g70u.jpg

This, i guess, is the only example where the update is better then the others...

Md6aLo2.jpg

The picture below shows a series of shots taken after the 4.3/Sense 5.5 update in chronological order. Notice how the noise starts building up -> So I see no difference there to how it was before the update... Awful...

RUaReWp.jpg

And the picture below shows how the software kicks in, but it starts gathering noise again (slower, but still...)

IE1m7TV.jpg

If you think this post helped, hit the thanks button ;)
    Hello everybody!

I am now a proud owner of an HTC One and I absolutely love it.

Its an SH35BW903846 and, build quality wise, its almost perfect - 99% perfect. No gaps, no dents, not dead pixels, no light bleed and not even the pop/crackle. It's running the 1.29.401.16 software.

The only problem I have (I don't know yet if it is a problem), is with the camera in night time and very low light scenes.

My problem is that in night shots and very low light scenes, the camera turns the black into blue (or red in very very dark scenes). For example, I included some photos, on a dark street with only a few light posts it turns black areas into blurry blue. Yes, it lets in more light (and more natural looking light) than my old One X, but the black areas are blue.

Not to mention, some times it has trouble focusing so a few of the shots I attached were taken after 2-3 tries.

Even more, in very very dark scenarios - see the last picture - it turns the blackness into red.

Now, my questions:

• Is this normal?
    • Has anyone else had this problem (is it a problem)?
    • Can someone post a night time picture taken with their one in similar scenario and without the "blue"?

I am a bit worried because if it is a flaw than i would have to return my almost perfect One... :crying:

If the information below or this thread have helped you in any way, hit the thanks button ;)

UPDATED 13th of November: I took my phone into service again. This time they didn't replace my whole phone, but they did replace the camera module. They put in a camera from SHARP, sensor date 14 october 2013. The first tests I've done indicate that they've finally found a way/a sensor/a manufacturer to make the damned camera perform in low light like it supposed to... See a photo comparison of the new camera here.

UPDATED 14th of October: A comparison test after getting the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 Update: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46781359&postcount=3099 :mad:

UPDATED (2nd of October) - If you have the same problem, please fill in this Google form made by @gogogaga7 so we can have a centralized data base with information about the units that are flawed. The form is here: http://goo.gl/HmRJqC

UPDATED (5th of July) - I just got a replacement for my faulty unit and I just posted comparison photos in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43265994&postcount=89

Advice: If your camera gives you similar results with blue/red/purple noise in low-light photos -> take it back to HTC or an operator or repair service for a replacement!

UPDATED with Poll (13th of August) - Seeing how many replies and page views this thread has gathered during these couple of months, how many of you said they experience this problem and how HTC has not publicly recognized it (either as software or hardware fault), I added a Poll to see indeed how many of us are having this problem. Please vote!

OO0M4fO.jpg

TXIXRbV.jpg

7UvUmzT.jpg

O4X7EKT.jpg

JWJvqSq.jpg

0iTKzDh.jpg

vQ0b0np.jpg
    So, seeing as how I started this thread with some really (really!) awful low-light shots taken with my HTC One, I feel I should come back with some news after my second replacement.

My first unit (the one which took those awful blue photos in the OP) was exchanged with a new unit ( a new phone), but unfortunately, after a few days (maybe a week), the camera started going bad again... In a matter of months I was back in the purple tint club. I waited for the famous 4.3 update to see if it really changes anything. My conclusions after that, you can see in the photo comparison I posted here.

So, I took back my unit into service (Regenersis), they shipped it to Poland where they have their laboratories and in just a week they sent it back with a new camera module instaled (from SHARP, sensor date 14 october 2013) and now it really seems they have finally found a way/ a sensor/ a manufacturer to make the damned camera perform in low light like it supposed to...

Actually, I was really (extremely in some cases) impressed with the low light performance... Especially when I put the photos against the ones that I took before.

So... Down below you will find a photo comparison between my new HTC One camera and the old faulty camera on the same HTC One just after the 4.3 update.

As a note, the images were taken under very similar circumstances and lighting conditions:

aFGpaAG.jpg

NUUzsXp.jpg

qxCuIuH.jpg

zBP4Wfc.jpg

v8Mz13k.jpg

tuXZXi4.jpg

In this photo, in the picture take with the old camera, there was more light because of a light turned on just above and on one of the first floor window in the building bhind me:

lx6dAp2.jpg

gPB2Dx9.jpg

Here is the details of the new camera they put on my phone:

OGqBuuv.jpg

>>>Hit the thanks button if you thing this post helped at all ;)
    We have a conclusion ( @Riyal and me): the camera issue it's a software issue.
    It's caused from some libs and a bit of code in the kernel.
    So, we're at working to how to solve it, but this require time.
    We hoping that we can do a solution soon.

Cheers,
    Guich :)
    Hello everybody!

I took my unit into service last week and today I was called that my replacement unit arrived and I can pick it up (although i didn't expect them to replace my phone, but try to repair it and maybe break it even more. They agreed to except a replacement and told me that, indeed, there is a problem with the camera sensor and sent the faulty unit back to HTC ).

Ok, so I just got my new phone (the replacement unit) and, after testing it a bit, I can say that the problem is gone (or so I hope).

Below, I took some photos in the same places I took the photos posted in the first post of this thread and I compared them. So, up top you can see the photos taken with my old One unit, and below - the photos take with my new unit.

All photos are taken on Full Auto mode, with just a touch to focus before pressing the shutter button:

FSsoORO.jpg

tB0HcHK.jpg

3qanpD0.jpg

jY84sOC.jpg

oNSdYdn.jpg

rQ9iS7y.jpg

zONb6kI.jpg

@Riyal I thought you might be interested :)