General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

mfsr98

Nov 26, 2011
Porto
Re: **DEVICE SUGGESTION THREAD** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Since the 20000 price tag i was looking at comes with sellers warranty not manufacturers, i'm yet again at the S crossroad! -_-
I think i should get my lazy ass to store now, or should I now just get the Galaxy Grand XD
Damn buying a phone is like the toughest job!

Been there, done that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: vj_dustin

erdal67

Nov 1, 2012

So sensation beats the LG Optimus 2x

Dutch

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai

Since the 20000 price tag i was looking at comes with sellers warranty not manufacturers, i'm yet again at the S crossroad! -_-
I think i should get my lazy ass to store now, or should I now just get the Galaxy Grand XD
Damn buying a phone is like the toughest job!

Galaxy grand isn't that great. I got myself to Croma and tested XS there. That's why I could tell you this stuff. When you're on a low budget, its hard to choose. :/

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: vj_dustin
Hi there, I'm about to get some cash from my former employer, and I'm looking for two devices: first one is a nice Android phone, HD screen, at least 16GB internal storage, at least an dual-core Snapdragon S4 (I really don't care about dual or quad-core, but it HAS to be a Cortex-A15 phone, so I can keep it for the next 2 years or something close to this) and, of course, at least 1GB of RAM. The other device I want is an Android tablet with the best cost/benefit one can get, with at least a 1.2 GHz dual-core CPU (can be cortex-A9, in this case), HD screen, 1GB of RAM, 16GB+ internal memory. Other useful information:
1 - No need for memory card slot on neither device, but it would be nice;
2 - For the tablet, I'm OK with chinese-branded, given it's not a complete crap;
3 - Also for the tablet, no need for 3G capabilities - it would be nice, but I rather have a lower price than 3G;
4 - For the phone, no need for LTE support. Here in Brazil we still don't have 4G cover in most places, and even 3G is crappy, so I'm ok with the latter;
5 - Both devices MUST have a nice community support, here in XDA or in other forums (I'm aware of the great chinese tablet support given on SlateDroid, i.e.).

For now, the best options I came were Nexus 4 (I'm absolutely in love with this phone since it launched, so I might be blind for other options - plus, it's kinda impossible to get it through Play Store and people selling this on eBay are asking absurdly high prices) and Ainol Fire (this I can get for around US$130 and both Ainol itself and the community seem to be giving nice support for it). Anyone has better suggestions? I'm limited to around US$700 on budget for both devices, and getting them brand new would be very important (though I can live with an used unit), so take these points in consideration for your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Bump.

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai

I'd suggest the HTC One S as the mobile.
(But only if the 1.5Ghz S4 Snapdragon version is available, DO NOT get the S3 Snapdragon)
As for the tablet, isn't Nexus 7 obvious? :p

Also just IMO, a used device will never give the feel of a new device.. :)
Get a new!

One more thing!
I seriously suggest you try out the XS somewhere, as a huge number of people hate the capacative buttons. They say they can hardly get it to respond. I had absolutely no problem using them, and you can get used to them in a couple hours. So do that, else you'll regret it. ;)

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com
One more thing!
I seriously suggest you try out the XS somewhere, as a huge number of people hate the capacative buttons. They say they can hardly get it to respond. I had absolutely no problem using them, and you can get used to them in a couple hours. So do that, else you'll regret it. ;)

I actually did use my friend's XS yesterday night and I'm among the haters :p
Just couldn't get the touch right!
So I have definitely decided this time that SGS2 it is.. XD
Please god no more switches :fingers-crossed:
Will visit some stores today for pricing which might finally be a deciding factor!

I'd suggest the HTC One S as the mobile.
(But only if the 1.5Ghz S4 Snapdragon version is available, DO NOT get the S3 Snapdragon)
As for the tablet, isn't Nexus 7 obvious? :p

Also just IMO, a used device will never give the feel of a new device.. :)
Get a new!
I don't think I'm going for the One S. I know it's almost an One X in a smaller package, but I can't stand for the PenTile matrix on the display, and I'm looking for something with a really sharp screen (no need for Full HD, obviously, but at least 720p). I've read reviews about the One S, and they criticized the screen: One can clearly see the PenTile, considering the screen dpi, and this is not nice. I strongly considered Razr HD, but, as always, Motorola's crappy job delays some things, people are having trouble with camera and LTE signal in CM10 and 10.1, i.e.

About getting a N7, it would be a great option, except for one thing: I'm going to buy both devices, probably, via eBay (may ask for a friend who's living in Canada for the next year to get me one from Play Store and send it, don't know for sure), and most of the phone options (my priority is the phone, you see) won't fit within my $700 budget if I get the N7, but will do fit if I get an Ainol Fire or something like this. Since I really don't need a tablet now (though I actually need to change my phone, my 2 years old Defy is struggling for life - for example: its battery, though brand new [changed it 2 times, the last one because the service center I left my phone for a simple MicroUSB change ****ed up the old batt], barely lasts a day with a very light use - dies in less than 2-3 hours with heavy use), I'm OK with a not-so-good device.

drewniany92

Jul 18, 2012
Odp: **DEVICE SUGGESTION THREAD** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

I am using currently htc wildfire buzz and i'm going to buy new much better stuff. The price is up to 300$ (if someone knows polish currency it is about 800zł). I think about htc evo 3d and sgs 2. Of course it will be second hand phone. And here is question: how evo3d works with games like modern combat 3??

Sent from JokerDroid 4.3 (;

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai

I actually did use my friend's XS yesterday night and I'm among the haters :p
Just couldn't get the touch right!
So I have definitely decided this time that SGS2 it is.. XD
Please god no more switches :fingers-crossed:
Will visit some stores today for pricing which might finally be a deciding factor!

You're getting ION for 22k on eBay. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT buy it. The capacative buttons didn't respond at all when I used them at Croma. Good phone, crap buttons. :/

But the good thing in XS is that it has the software navigation keys ready to use in stock ICS firmware. So if you want that, then....

Also, XS's camera has a less FOV (Field of view) than S2. Not much of a thing for me, but I thought I would point it out. It's also said that the camera on CM10 is WAY better than Stock.

Finally, its your choice. I myself found the S2 a bit wide for my hands. XS already has a 4.2.1 alpha build. Damn, I want it right now. :/

Edit from post below:
Heck, I've gone into so much detail, even I'm surprised. Cause I love this phone. :D

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S

Last edited:

norbee007

Jun 27, 2009
Budapest
Hi,

A friend of mine wants to buy a cheap tablet, max 200 USD, but 160-170 would be better.
He doesn't really care about the brand, and he found some cheap chinese tablets, some of them seem to be quite powerful, but there's not much info about them anywhere. He's thinking of buying Hyundai T7, which seems awesome on paper, but there are no reviews or videos on the internet, so he's afraid of buying it.
Another tablet would be Ainol Novo 7 Venus, there are some reviews and videos of it, but the Hyunda seems better, so if anybody knows something about that he'd rather buy that.

Or do you know some other cheap tablet besides these? It should be 150-200 USD with shipping. He'd use it mainly for browsing, but sometimes probably would play some games too.
Thanks in advance.

I have already oredered the T7, should be arriving in the middle of February. At first, I had the same problem, however if everybody is waiting for the other, you won't get reviews ... when I get it, I'm going to make a video about it. ;)
If you want a good tablet similar to the T7, check out Ainol Novo 7 Fire, works like a charm, and it even has CM!

Reactions: TWarino

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com
You're getting ION for 22k on eBay. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT buy it. The capacative buttons didn't respond at all when I used them at Croma. Good phone, crap buttons. :/

But the good thing in XS is that it has the software navigation keys ready to use in stock ICS firmware. So if you want that, then....

Also, XS's camera has a less FOV (Field of view) than S2. Not much of a thing for me, but I thought I would point it out. It's also said that the camera on CM10 is WAY better than Stock.

Finally, its your choice. I myself found the S2 a bit wide for my hands. XS already has a 4.2.1 alpha build. Damn, I want it right now. :/

Edit from post below:
Heck, I've gone into so much detail, even I'm surprised. Cause I love this phone. :D

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S

haha, ion aside, eBay is out of the question which is why I rejected the Galaxy Nexus in the first place.
Else my purchase was a no brainer.. XD
I'm very firm now on buying the S2 because except for the 2year old tag I don't see no downsides.
Epic development, JB almost here, and top notch specs :good:
Even XS rocks it but it has some battery drain issues which are obvious because of the HD screen.. :p
Also SGS2 can be equipped with a chargable case while the XS can't :D

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai

haha, ion aside, eBay is out of the question which is why I rejected the Galaxy Nexus in the first place.
Else my purchase was a no brainer.. XD
I'm very firm now on buying the S2 because except for the 2year old tag I don't see no downsides.
Epic development, JB almost here, and top notch specs :good:
Even XS rocks it but it has some battery drain issues which are obvious because of the HD screen.. :p
Also SGS2 can be equipped with a chargable case while the XS can't :D

Chargable case? :what:

Your budget's 20k right? Where are you getting it for that much?

Al Gore

Jan 31, 2013
Moscow
need advice

I'm looking to replace my 8 year old Nokia and I just fell in love with Xperia Z/ZL when I saw it several weeks ago. Anything else to consider? I used to want Galaxy S 3 but Xperia seems to be better in everything judging by specs. Nexus 4 could be a good option but it's not available where I live.
I definitely won't be getting an iPhone - I already have an iPod touch so I'd rather get an Android phone so I can have the best from both OS.

So should I get an expensive new xperia (it's going to cost around $700-$900 here) and use it for 4-5 years or should I get a cheaper phone and then upgrade to another cheaper phone in a couple of years?

How are Sony/Android phones overall? Do they age fast? Is it safe to buy them soon after their releases or do they get some hardware fixes several months later?

So right now I'm choosing between splashing the cash on Xperia Z when it comes out or ordering a Nexus 4 from German Google Play via a friend. It would cost $500.

Lt.Win

Aug 20, 2011
Mumbai

I'm looking to replace my 8 year old Nokia and I just fell in love with Xperia Z/ZL when I saw it several weeks ago. Anything else to consider? I used to want Galaxy S 3 but Xperia seems to be better in everything judging by specs. Nexus 4 could be a good option but it's not available where I live.
I definitely won't be getting an iPhone - I already have an iPod touch so I'd rather get an Android phone so I can have the best from both OS.

So should I get an expensive new xperia (it's going to cost around $700-$900 here) and use it for 4-5 years or should I get a cheaper phone and then upgrade to another cheaper phone in a couple of years?

How are Sony/Android phones overall? Do they age fast? Is it safe to buy them soon after their releases or do they get some hardware fixes several months later?

So right now I'm choosing between splashing the cash on Xperia Z when it comes out or ordering a Nexus 4 from German Google Play via a friend. It would cost $500.

If you want looks, Xperia Z. For long lasting, nexus devices last a long time. Look at the nexus one. Still runs well. Xperia Z also has awesome specs so that would last long as well. It's close, but I would say go for the Xperia.

erdal67

Nov 1, 2012

Get htc sensation 4g i will get it too:D:D our wildfire is getting very old

Dutch

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Go for htc sensation , i have a limit of 120€ and this phone fits in its a dual core 1.2 ghz its faster thn the sola

Dutch

-Johan

Jan 31, 2013
If you're looking for a relatively cheap phone with a camera and a flashlight, I'd go for the Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830i, it has quite a few ROMs and the device in general is good imo.

drewniany92

Jul 18, 2012
Odp: **DEVICE SUGGESTION THREAD** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

I will ask again :) which one is better? Sgs2 or htc evo 3d? I need phone main for games (;

Sent from JokerDroid 4.3 (;

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)