FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards.

1,305 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,652

By verygreen, Senior Member on 20th March 2011, 07:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th June 2012, 08:15 PM |#1751  
Thanks Meter: 3,880

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by garretwilson

I'm trying to upgrade to CM7 7.2.0 using the bootable SD card. Months ago I successfully updated to 7.1.0.

I downloaded the cm-7.2.0-encore.zip file, placed it in the root of the first partition, and rebooted into recovery mode. It looks for things and then shuts down. I even renamed it to "update-cm-7.2.0-encore.zip" and then "update-cm-7.2.0-encore-signed.zip" to no avail.

The recovery mode script says "let's see if you have gapps, too" or something to that effect, but nothing seems to be installed---it says something like "1+0 records in, 1+0 records out" or something and then shuts down.

How do I upgrade to CM7 7.2.0 on my Nook Color using the bootable SD card?

You were doing it right. Renaming the file to begin with update- should have worked. But if the file is still there after trying, it did not work. I suggest you update your script files to my latest version (rev 3). Look in my tips thread linked in my signature to see how to do that.

16th June 2012, 09:50 PM |#1752  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by garretwilson

... I downloaded the cm-7.2.0-encore.zip file, placed it in the root of the first partition, and rebooted into recovery mode.

Actually, I had forgotten that the first drive that appears on Windows 7 via a USB connection is not actually the first partition on the SD card. After removing the SD card, inserting it into a reader, renaming the file to "update-*", and putting the file on the real first partition, it picked it up just fine.
16th June 2012, 11:22 PM |#1753  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

You can do that. But that requires that you are already booted. What we were talking about was doing it during boot as an init.d script so that it is there waiting for the user to have available to copy a new nightly whenever they want to. I have a script that does that, but it mounts it to /data. And Homer was asking if I could change it to mount to sdcard. He wanted it there so Goo Manager could download there directly and not have to copy later to the boot partition mounted in /data.

How about the following? Put this at the beginning of a script in /data/local/userinit.d:

Code:
if [ ! -d /sdcard/whatever ]
then
    (sleep 60; $0) > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
    exit 0
fi
Replace whatever with your mount point.

And after this just put the mount command.

The redirecting of all I/O to /dev/null and the last & lets the script lurk in the background until /sdcard is mounted.

Sometimes being an old command-line hacker comes in handy...

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to stolenmoment For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stolenmoment Ad-Free
16th June 2012, 11:30 PM |#1754  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenmoment

How about the following? Put this at the beginning of a script in /data/local/userinit.d:

Code:
if [ ! -d /sdcard/whatever ]
then
    (sleep 60; $0) > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
    exit 0
fi
Replace whatever with your mount point.

And after this just put the mount command.

The redirecting of all I/O to /dev/null and the last & lets the script lurk in the background until /sdcard is mounted.

Sometimes being an old command-line hacker comes in handy...

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

Good idea. Thanks. But I just figured out how to make the original work so Goo Manager can download directly. See my earlier edit.

I'll tuck that one away for use in the future if I need it.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk
17th June 2012, 05:06 PM |#1755  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Quote:

Hooray! Big time edit! I got it to work. It was just a matter of getting the permissions right.

I went ahead and posted the new version to my original post here.

This version adds the symlink so that it shows up in the root directory as 'sdboot' as well as under /data/sdboot. Just change Goo Manager to download directly to 'sdboot' and it will download to your boot partition. I would suggest that you check in sdboot to be sure it downloaded correctly before you reboot.

I can confirm that this works perfectly. Now, we have one step for SDcard users.

Be sure and "Thank" Leapinlar!

Homer
The Following User Says Thank You to Homer_S_xda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Homer_S_xda Ad-Free
22nd July 2012, 09:37 AM |#1756  

More
Small boot partition. SOLVED
I have a 8GB microSD and my boot partition seems very small. Is this ok and normal? I know the update will be deleted but CM nightlies are increasing in size in the next updates I might run of space in my boot partition.

Issue solved by extending/resizing one of the partitions. I have four total.

22nd July 2012, 11:13 AM |#1757  

More
Quote:

You were doing it right. Renaming the file to begin with update- should have worked. But if the file is still there after trying, it did not work. I suggest you update your script files to my latest version (rev 3). Look in my tips thread linked in my signature to see how to do that.

I am stump. I am stuck with updating to the latest build. I did in fact put my microSD into a reader and drag/drop the file into the boot partition. The recovery reads the file and shutdowns after completing. (the file is deleted from the microSD) but once I boot back into android is not updated to the latest. I tried without renaming and renaming 'update-' with no go. Any suggestions, this did work fine before. Rev 3 updated fine.
22nd July 2012, 02:53 PM |#1758  

Donate to Me
More
If you adjusted any partition other than partition 4 after installing the SD the first time, you probably messed them up. Windows does not do well with Linux partitions, which p2 and p3 are. I recommend getting my whole rev 3 image file which is 203MB after burning it. Then start over. You will be ready to move on to higher versions of CM later if you want to.
22nd July 2012, 04:27 PM |#1759  

More
Quote:

If you adjusted any partition other than partition 4 after installing the SD the first time, you probably messed them up. Windows does not do well with Linux partitions, which p2 and p3 are. I recommend getting my whole rev 3 image file which is 203MB after burning it. Then start over. You will be ready to move on to higher versions of CM later if you want to.

I think you are correct. Lucky I made a backup. But my now I still unable to give boot partition more space. I can start over, waiting for jellybean. Any ideas? I used easeus and minitools with no go. My next idea is boot into linux and re-partition using microSD over USB at work monday.

My only problem now is the /boot partition is not allowing me to update cyanogen latest build. I loaded a stable and nightly separately and changing them with 'update-' prefix. It finishes and shutdown but doesnt update to latest.
22nd July 2012, 05:29 PM |#1760  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by atr73

My only problem now is the /boot partition is not allowing me to update cyanogen latest build. I loaded a stable and nightly separately and changing them with 'update-' prefix. It finishes and shutdown but doesnt update to latest.

It is installing correctly since it deletes the file. But if you messed up p2 or p3, the files may not have copied properly. Remember, the SD rom installer does not format p2 (/system) like happens with an emmc install. So if messed up, it stays messed up. I recommend you start fresh so that p2 and p3 are created new and are clean. By starting fresh I mean burn the newer image in my thread, letting it create new partitions and install the roms fresh.
23rd July 2012, 03:45 AM |#1761  

More
Quote:

It is installing correctly since it deletes the file. But if you messed up p2 or p3, the files may not have copied properly. Remember, the SD rom installer does not format p2 (/system) like happens with an emmc install. So if messed up, it stays messed up. I recommend you start fresh so that p2 and p3 are created new and are clean. By starting fresh I mean burn the newer image in my thread, letting it create new partitions and install the roms fresh.

I backup my install before messing around with the partitions. The reason I mess with the partitions was because I cant install the updates. I suspect my boot partition is too small. When the files extract during the nix screen it ran out of space or something.

Do you know any programs that will backup my apps including location? (which screen the apps belong)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)