This method was outlined here by theintelligent. I've also used info from here by alalai. I take no credit for discovering this, but thought it deserved a pinned topic to help stop the multiple "how do I flash" topics and to make it easier for users to find the information.
Before you start
This WILL debrand your phone (remove network customisations) and it will enable you to receive updates as soon as Microsoft release them (rather than waiting for the operators).
It WILL NOT unlock your device (to allow you to use other network's SIMs). You will need to use a commercial service for this.
You WILL be able to update your phone to NoDo (and later leaked versions when they appear).
I'm not sure why, I think it may be due to getting the right drivers installed, but you will need to install one of the following:
Windows XP users:Ensure that your phone's battery has at least 50% charge.
Install Microsoft ActiveSync .
Windows Vista/7 users:
Install Windows Mobile Device Center - make sure you install the right version 32/64bit depending upon your OS version.
Download and flash your ROMs
Yes, I said ROMs - if you want to debrand your phone, you will need to download two sets of ROMs. If you're just updating and not debranding then you'll just need to download one ROM.
- Download a ROM which is by the same network as you're on (for example if you're phone is currently locked to Orange UK then download RUU_Mozart_Orange_UK_1.22.061.10_Radio_5.50.09.18_ 22.24.50.09U, by ansar. - do not download 1.30!).
- Open up ActiveSync/Mobile Device Center
- Flash this ROM to your phone (you may not need to do this step, but most users will).
- Turn your phone off.
- Put your phone into Bootloader Mode - this can be done by pressing and holding the Volume Down Key & Power Button.
- Plug your phone into your PC, hopefully a HTC USB driver will install.
- Once the driver is installed your phone should display USB mode.
- Extract the zip file and then run the exe file
- Run through the update process
- When your ROM is flashed, your phone will want you to customise it - just do the basic stuff.
- Download the ROM you would like to flash (e.g. RUU_Mozart_HTC_Europe_1.30.401.01_5.54.09.21_22.33 b.50_RELEASE).
- Extract the unbranded ROM zip file and then extract the exe file (WinZip will not do this - try 7zip or similar).
- Copy the RUU_signed.nbh from the unbranded ROM
- Extract the branded ROM exe
- Paste the RUU_signed.nbh from the unbranded ROM to branded ROM
- Plug your phone back into the PC in bootloader mode
- Run RomUpdateUtility.exe file from the branded ROM (but with the unbranded RUU_signed.nbh file)
- Follow the steps...
- Et voila, you'll have (if all goes well) and unbranded ROM installed
- Last step, plug your phone back into your PC and run Zune. Your phone should receive the latest cumulative update.
Let me know if anything isn't clear or needs updating. I am not going to list all ROMs, but there are a plethora of them available here.