FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Any success exchanging vibrant for a phone with working GPS?

662 posts
Thanks Meter: 90

By tony yayo, Senior Member on 23rd March 2011, 07:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I know, I know, the GPS issue is like beating a dead horse but I'm frustrated as hell and have to ask. I NEED to have a working GPS, I live in Chicago and believe me you don't wanna end up on the southside when you should be on the northside! Called yesterday and all TMO will say is gps restore app, try froyo, factory reset, blah blah blah. Told tech support I have tried everything, nothing works. I could even hear his voice quiver a little when I said I can't be the first person he's heard that has had this problem as he says no I've never heard that before. What a joke. Explained to him how its a well known fact that the GPS doesnt work on ANY of the Galaxy S Variants and that its all over their own forums! I don't hear people with HTC's, or anyone else for that matter, bitching that their GPS doesn't work! He almost crapped his pants when I mentioned the hardware fix! Seems to me that if people try it and it works that it shows there is a DEFINITE hardware problem and that can't be good for TMO. How does samsuck get away with selling 10 million defective phones!? For example, if you buy a new car and it refuses to start, you take it back to the dealership and they make it work, right? Yes, the dealer, or company that sold you the car, NOT the auto factory (or samsung, whatever the case may be)! I'm sure you get the idea, anyways.

Now, on to the actual question. Has ANYONE had ANY luck exchanging their vibrant and finding the GPS working on the different phone? Has anyone had any luck exchanging their Vibrant for ANOTHER phone, MT4g etc., that DOES have a working GPS?

23rd March 2011, 08:55 AM |#2  
Flag Amman
Thanks Meter: 374

More
Yes, many members here have their current exchanged vibrants working better than ever gps wise.

Sent from my full Trigger powered SGH-T959 using XDA App
23rd March 2011, 09:58 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
My wife traded her Vibrant in for a new Vibrant. Both of us in the same car with Google Maps, her GPS was trailing behind a few blocks.

Reset, replacement, the Samsung application, and general magic fails to work.
23rd March 2011, 11:25 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 338

More
My GPS hasn't worked for months but with this new s.gps fix along with Sweet Honey and Overstock I get 13 birds at 9 meters in 2-3 seconds. Give it a shot, can't hurt. Good luck!

Sweet Honey 2.7
Overstock 2.1
23rd March 2011, 02:02 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I recently traded mine in. GPS is still unsatisfactory.

Darky 9 with Jellette's GPS fix.
23rd March 2011, 02:07 PM |#6  
Flag Frisco, TX
Thanks Meter: 1,508

More
mine works 100% on track!
I've gotten 4 replacements and 2/4 have worked the other 2 didn't
23rd March 2011, 05:32 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 90

More
so TMO is sending me a replacement but told me they would only replace it ONCE! wtf?! aaaaarrrrgggghhh!!!! they insist its still a software problem. what a joke
23rd March 2011, 09:35 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I bought mine from radioshack with a plane Do i call tmo? and do they send me a new one Or is it refurb?
23rd March 2011, 10:16 PM |#9  
Flag Frisco, TX
Thanks Meter: 1,508

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony yayo

so TMO is sending me a replacement but told me they would only replace it ONCE! wtf?! aaaaarrrrgggghhh!!!! they insist its still a software problem. what a joke

idk about the once thing.. but to the software, i agree its partly software, and mostly hardware

to the guy above me.
You'll get a REFURB
but my refurbs had gps fixed.
23rd March 2011, 10:17 PM |#10  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystycs

I bought mine from radioshack with a plane Do i call tmo? and do they send me a new one Or is it refurb?

pics of your new plane?
24th March 2011, 12:42 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
live on
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony yayo

I know, I know, the GPS issue is like beating a dead horse but I'm frustrated as hell and have to ask. I NEED to have a working GPS, I live in Chicago and believe me you don't wanna end up on the southside when you should be on the northside! Called yesterday and all TMO will say is gps restore app, try froyo, factory reset, blah blah blah. Told tech support I have tried everything, nothing works. I could even hear his voice quiver a little when I said I can't be the first person he's heard that has had this problem as he says no I've never heard that before. What a joke. Explained to him how its a well known fact that the GPS doesnt work on ANY of the Galaxy S Variants and that its all over their own forums! I don't hear people with HTC's, or anyone else for that matter, bitching that their GPS doesn't work! He almost crapped his pants when I mentioned the hardware fix! Seems to me that if people try it and it works that it shows there is a DEFINITE hardware problem and that can't be good for TMO. How does samsuck get away with selling 10 million defective phones!? For example, if you buy a new car and it refuses to start, you take it back to the dealership and they make it work, right? Yes, the dealer, or company that sold you the car, NOT the auto factory (or samsung, whatever the case may be)! I'm sure you get the idea, anyways.

Now, on to the actual question. Has ANYONE had ANY luck exchanging their vibrant and finding the GPS working on the different phone? Has anyone had any luck exchanging their Vibrant for ANOTHER phone, MT4g etc., that DOES have a working GPS?

bro i have the same problem, the best solution is to buy a usglobalsat bt-359 receiver, and buy an app on the market named bluethooth gps provider. and if you really want to shine them on buy an app named navigon mobile navigator. the technique makes your phone a fully functional gps system, not an agps or assisted gps by internet connection. prove
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)