[REVIEW]Trident Aegis Case for Nook Color

Search This thread

colorado_al

Aug 4, 2008
http://www.tridenteer.com/products/Aegis-Case-for-B&N-Nook-Color-(Black).html

20% off Discount code:tridentnb AEGIS20 (As of 4/1/11)

Total cost $31.96 with free standard shipping

10% off Discount code: Trident10 (As of 4/14/11) at tridentcase.com
http://www.tridentcase.com/product_48_64.html

Just received this case today.
Initial thoughts: Good protection but bulky.

Fairly easy to install, place silicon skin over device and then plastic case over that.
Only issues with install are getting the port covers into the right position. They seem to get stuck under the plastic. Once you work them out, they open and close easily.

Covers for headphone jack, microUSB jack, and uSD card slot. (I like the access to the uSD card slot without removing the case!)

Easy to activate power and volume controls.

Dimensions:
Nook Color
127.5 mm wide
205 mm tall
11 mm thick

With Trident Aegis case:
137.5 mm wide
212 mm tall
18 mm thick

It adds a considerable size to the device, 10 mm in width is noticeable, and more than 50% in thickness.
To those of you who are used to using the NC with no cover, it will be a bit of an adjustment. I don't think it is anything more than any other case however.

With the Trident Aegis case, it still fits in my Belkin Kindle 2 Neoprene case (just barely)
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Neoprene-Kindle-Display-Generation/dp/B001NPDA44

It comes with a screen protector and display cleaning cloth. (I did not use the screen protector, as I have the B&N Anti Glare)

Plastic cover has a satin finish like the back of the Nook Color, not glossy. Comfortable to hold and not slippery.
The raised silicon logo that comes through the hole in the back gives it some friction to keep it from slipping on a hard surface.

Silicon is a bit of a dust magnet.

Some pictures:

Attachments

• IMAG0506.jpg
    IMAG0506.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 643
  • IMAG0507.jpg
    IMAG0507.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 589
  • IMAG0508.jpg
    IMAG0508.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 589
  • IMAG0509.jpg
    IMAG0509.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 590
  • IMAG0510.jpg
    IMAG0510.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 591
  • IMAG0511.jpg
    IMAG0511.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 563
  • IMAG0512.jpg
    IMAG0512.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 581
  • IMAG0514.jpg
    IMAG0514.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 743
Last edited:

colorado_al

Aug 4, 2008
More pictures:

Attachments

• IMAG0515.jpg
    IMAG0515.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 351
  • IMAG0517.jpg
    IMAG0517.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0519.jpg
    IMAG0519.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 374
  • IMAG0520.jpg
    IMAG0520.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMAG0521.jpg
    IMAG0521.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 343
  • IMAG0522.jpg
    IMAG0522.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 378
  • IMAG0523.jpg
    IMAG0523.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 356
Reactions: tj!2k7

funcrusher

Nov 27, 2007
Jacksonville
Thanks for this -- I ordered the same case and should be receiving it soon. Also used the same discount code.

Is it fairly easy to get the sdcard out through that hatch?

Hopefully I can get used to the added bulk.

Edit: I guess your 2nd set of pics answered my question.

smuook

Oct 27, 2007
Jax, Florida
I just received my Trident Aegis. I like it alot. It is well executed and I will not be looking for another case. It feels very secure and good in your hand. I'm sure the Otterbox will be nice as well, but this case doesn't disappoint.

mattymo

May 29, 2010
I've had this case for about a week and I love it. I'm confident that my Nook Color is very well protected, and I can't see myself ever needing another case.

bugggie1

Mar 4, 2011
Got this case as well. Pretty good except for some minor issues:

-headphone port cover a little hard to get out. I gotta use fingernails. The micro usb port is fine.
-the silicon on the long sides of the nc isn't flush with the screen. It bulges out slightly.
-sd card cover not flush and doesn't stay down
-screen cover is around 2mm short.

I'm fine with most of the issues except for the sd card cover. Anyone else run into the same issue with it not staying down?

colorado_al

Aug 4, 2008

-headphone port cover a little hard to get out. I gotta use fingernails. The micro usb port is fine.
-the silicon on the long sides of the nc isn't flush with the screen. It bulges out slightly.

I'm fine with most of the issues except for the sd card cover. Anyone else run into the same issue with it not staying down?

No problem here with the sd card cover (it is a bit loose but stays in place), headphone port cover easy to remove. No problem with silicon being flush. Maybe you got one that isn't quite right. Have you tried reinstalling it to see if it seats better?

smuook

Oct 27, 2007
Jax, Florida

I don't think you got it on quite right. I have none of the problems you are describing. I'd try to reinstall. I'm not using their screen cover so I don't know about that.

ax0r

Jan 17, 2010
Sacramento
Received mine today, really happy with the quality. Everything fits flush and nothing is loose. Only complaint is that it makes my NC very heavy. its a bulky case

EDIT: Just took mine off because i saw my screen protector was lifting on the top corner because the case was pushing on the plastic up against the screen. I reseated the case on my NC and to my surprise it does not sit flush anymore.. having a similar issue to the posted that complained about it not being flush against the screen. It is lifted on all 4 sides now. It seems the silicone stretches once removed.

Last edited:

tj!2k7

Jan 10, 2007
For anyone interested in this case, the discount code from the OP expired 3/31, but code "AEGIS20" worked for me for a 20% discount earlier today.

Reactions: colorado_al

tj!2k7

Jan 10, 2007
Ordered on Friday from OP's link, received it yesterday. CA to NY over the weekend... quick shipping is always a plus. =)

Definitely loving this case; I had a silicone skin on the NC before switching to this. The original silicone cover was ok as far as not getting it scratched up and scuffed, but I never really felt like it was truly protected. Not like I'm going to start tossing the Nook around like a football, but this case is a completely different story as far as protection is concerned.

The molded plastic shell provides additional firmness and stability, with much less creaking coming from the nook, and the thicker rubber bumpers provide adequate protection for all four corners. The button areas in the silicone are very well defined and make the buttons very easy to press.

Also I'm very pleased with the USB and headphone jack covers protecting those ports when not in use, and the SD cover on the back stays closed -- although I can see how that might be troublesome for those who have complained of problems with it.

As far as weight is concerned, it really doesn't feel much heavier than the silicone. Size-wise, it's a wee bit larger but nothing unmanageable, and it still fits in the Rocketfish neoprene sleeve.

I obviously haven't had it for long, but so far this made for an excellent purchase, and I think it kinda gives the nook a tactical look/feel. =)

stickyasglue

Dec 22, 2008
Birmingham
Trident dispatched mine today for review purposes :) free stuff ftw!
Ill post my video review when it arrives as I know some people prefer that to images :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.tridenteer.com/products/Aegis-Case-for-B&N-Nook-Color-(Black).html

20% off Discount code:tridentnb AEGIS20 (As of 4/1/11)

Total cost $31.96 with free standard shipping

10% off Discount code: Trident10 (As of 4/14/11) at tridentcase.com
    http://www.tridentcase.com/product_48_64.html

Just received this case today.
    Initial thoughts: Good protection but bulky.

Fairly easy to install, place silicon skin over device and then plastic case over that.
    Only issues with install are getting the port covers into the right position. They seem to get stuck under the plastic. Once you work them out, they open and close easily.

Covers for headphone jack, microUSB jack, and uSD card slot. (I like the access to the uSD card slot without removing the case!)

Easy to activate power and volume controls.

Dimensions:
    Nook Color
    127.5 mm wide
    205 mm tall
    11 mm thick

With Trident Aegis case:
    137.5 mm wide
    212 mm tall
    18 mm thick

It adds a considerable size to the device, 10 mm in width is noticeable, and more than 50% in thickness.
    To those of you who are used to using the NC with no cover, it will be a bit of an adjustment. I don't think it is anything more than any other case however.

With the Trident Aegis case, it still fits in my Belkin Kindle 2 Neoprene case (just barely)
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Neoprene-Kindle-Display-Generation/dp/B001NPDA44

It comes with a screen protector and display cleaning cloth. (I did not use the screen protector, as I have the B&N Anti Glare)

Plastic cover has a satin finish like the back of the Nook Color, not glossy. Comfortable to hold and not slippery.
    The raised silicon logo that comes through the hole in the back gives it some friction to keep it from slipping on a hard surface.

Silicon is a bit of a dust magnet.

Some pictures:
    Is it fairly easy to get the sdcard out through that hatch?
    Edit: I guess your 2nd set of pics answered my question.
    You can open the case cover and the uSD card cover is easy to get to. You can also bend the other side of the cover out of the way.
    For anyone interested in this case, the discount code from the OP expired 3/31, but code "AEGIS20" worked for me for a 20% discount earlier today.