[KERNEL][CM7][Froyo] Dalingrin's OC kernel w/fixed IO perf (quadrant) & 1.2Ghz test

Search This thread

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
[KERNEL][CM7][Froyo] Dalingrin's OC kernel w/fixed IO perf (quadrant) & 1.2Ghz test

Disclaimer: As always, flash at your own risk.

Background
So, recently there has been alot of debate over why quadrant (and to some extent, system performance) was lower with the OC kernel, as compared to the stock CM7 kernel. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1002504) As part of my examining the problem, i went looking for a solution. Starting from the first OC CM7 kernel, i would run quadrant and see how the performance fared. I finally found the issue appeared in the 3-08a kernel; using that, i rolled back changes until i found the commit remove to fix the issue. Specifically, it seems to be somewhere in the 2.6.29.6 update: https://github.com/dalingrin/nook_kernel/commits/gingerbread-exp

In short, using his source, i have compiled a kernel with fixed I/O performance, and all his other tweaks (interactive gov, etc).

So, I want to make this clear; this is still dalingrin's kernel; in no way do i wish to take credit for his work. But, while he is out, work must go on, right?

Information
Who is this kernel for?
eMMC Froyo and CM7 users

Will this work on SD cards?
It may if you manually replace you uImage, but i cannot guarantee it (since i cannot test it)

Is everything working in this release?
everything like bluetooth and dsp should still be just fine (you may have to do a few hard shutdowns/reboots to kick on BT, like normal).

Kernel Links -3/25/10
OC kernels (up to 1100Mhz, Interactive gov, BT and DSP):
Regular
http://www.mediafire.com/?k00ruvyulf01y64

Extra network features (PPP, etc)
http://www.mediafire.com/?i9h76wn483tk16v

OC kernel (up to 1190Mhz, Interactive gov, BT and DSP):
http://www.mediafire.com/?v6d2jpzaynvchde
For those having problems setting this speed in the CM7 performance settings, give setCPU a try, but don't use profiles. Using set CPU, i am able to get my system stable at 1190, where the CM7 manager instantly locks up.

Feedback
After flashing, please make note of OVERALL system response. The dip in quadrant scores prompted the fix, but i feel that the system is overall better; I would like some more input if others are seeing this as well.

Any and all feedback is welcome, and I will do what i can for support...

Last edited:

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
Can you be more specific about which network features are in the second choice ?

Thanks !!

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Can you be more specific about which network features are in the second choice ?

Thanks !!

Um....truth is, i am really not too familiar with it, but looking a the diff between the two configs:

# Core Netfilter Configuration
# IP: Netfilter Configuration
# CONFIG_TUN
# CONFIG_PPP

I am trying out the net kernel again, to see if it is better than the last time i tried it..
Edit: Its looking better than the last time i tried it. Launcher pro hangs for a but on startup, but so far so good after that.

Last edited:

360Razir

Jan 6, 2011
Just started using CM7 last night (w/bottom keys mod, so the nightly is from a few revisions back), but just installed this kernel (the regular version, w/out the Net adds, which I don't need), wiped cache & Dalvik, rebooted, set OC to 1100 and "performance" in CyangenMod Settings and now getting 1918 Quad score...vs. 1372 on the stock kernel with no OC.

I can definitely live with that score...great work to you and dalingrin!!

Reactions: ruffiQ

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for taking care of this while I am gone. Much appreciated.
The update to *.6 is not necessary anyway.
When I get back I will revert the *.6 update and compile some of the netfilter/iptables and tun as modules as this seems to be more compatible than compiling them directly into the kernel.

Last edited:

Homer_S_xda

Dec 5, 2010
Tried on SDcard, installed by copying uImage to Boot. Reboots to EMMC when trying to load desktop. Back to CM7 stock. I guess I'll wait. Thanks though!

Homer

chisleu

Mar 7, 2011
Myrtle Beach SC
Can I have the config file for the first? I'm going to play with the kernel a bit.

EDIT: I'm just going to keep my big mouth shut for a while. I hoped it was just a bug with quadrant, but I flashed your kernel just now. There is a huge difference in interactivity. I was playing with the app drawer yesterday and couldn't get it to be smooth with "labels fade in" turned on and a 1000ms or so time on the animation for the app drawer. Now it's perfect every time.

GOOD JOB! :)

Last edited:

marlonbr

Jun 14, 2010
I love Open Source.

Will try this in some minutes. (Nook charging)

Ok, tested it. My scores below.

** QUADRANT SCORES **
Before update, 1100mhz: ~700
After update, 800mhz: ~1500
Now, 1100mhz: 1920

Awesome!

Last edited:

eghill1125

Jul 15, 2010
Just flashed it on mine and seems silky smooth to me. Not real sure there is a big difference, but it is not worse at least. Seems better to me.. Good job Madcat!!

Waiting anxiously for Dalingrin to return to his lab and see what else he can whip up for us.. :)

barrist

Apr 25, 2009
Ottawa
nice!

i'm getting the same numbers as others (~1800) now. haven't really tested for overall smoothness yet.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
will this kernel ever get a nookie version?

I have to admit - i said CM7 only, since that is all i have to test it on. If you do want to try it, you don't really risk anything; if it doesn't work, simply reboot to recovery and flash your last working kernel again.

As it is, i haven't really given a good look at what might be different between versions, so i can't give much advice on why it would/wouldn't work on Froyo.

victle

Jun 20, 2010
Tried on SDcard, installed by copying uImage to Boot. Reboots to EMMC when trying to load desktop. Back to CM7 stock. I guess I'll wait. Thanks though!

Homer

Got the same issue with the Net feature kernel. However the other one works fine. Got 1918 Quadrant on SD Card with OC 1100 GHz + interactive gov.

So I guess CM7 performance on SD is not too bad compared to eMMC :)

@Divine_Madcat : Could you look into the problem of the Net features kernel with SD Card booting? It run into eMMC after the bootanimation.

Thanks much for your work, an action is much better than thousand words !!

Last edited:

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
I tried both of these from SD card. The non-net features version boots but posted some terrible #s for me (<700 Quadrant and ~6-7 Linpack); the net features version doesn't boot. Is there something special I need to do with the first kernel to see the benefits? I checked and was clocked to 1.1GHz in CM settings.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
@Divine_Madcat : Could you look into the problem of the Net features kernel with SD Card booting? It run into eMMC after the bootanimation.

Thanks much for your work, an action is much better than thousand words !!

Ill be happy to take a look, but can't promise anything right away. ;)

I tried both of these from SD card. The non-net features version boots but posted some terrible #s for me (<700 Quadrant and ~6-7 Linpack); the net features version doesn't boot. Is there something special I need to do with the first kernel to see the benefits? I checked and was clocked to 1.1GHz in CM settings.

hmmmm.. that doesn't sound right at all. May i ask which nightly you are using? Right now, i am on nightly 27, and haven't seen anything like that (in my case, it either works, or just boot loops, if i set the clock too high).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Disclaimer: As always, flash at your own risk.

Background
    So, recently there has been alot of debate over why quadrant (and to some extent, system performance) was lower with the OC kernel, as compared to the stock CM7 kernel. (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1002504) As part of my examining the problem, i went looking for a solution. Starting from the first OC CM7 kernel, i would run quadrant and see how the performance fared. I finally found the issue appeared in the 3-08a kernel; using that, i rolled back changes until i found the commit remove to fix the issue. Specifically, it seems to be somewhere in the 2.6.29.6 update: https://github.com/dalingrin/nook_kernel/commits/gingerbread-exp

In short, using his source, i have compiled a kernel with fixed I/O performance, and all his other tweaks (interactive gov, etc).

So, I want to make this clear; this is still dalingrin's kernel; in no way do i wish to take credit for his work. But, while he is out, work must go on, right?

Information
    Who is this kernel for?
    eMMC Froyo and CM7 users

Will this work on SD cards?
    It may if you manually replace you uImage, but i cannot guarantee it (since i cannot test it)

Is everything working in this release?
    everything like bluetooth and dsp should still be just fine (you may have to do a few hard shutdowns/reboots to kick on BT, like normal).

Kernel Links -3/25/10
    OC kernels (up to 1100Mhz, Interactive gov, BT and DSP):
    Regular
    http://www.mediafire.com/?k00ruvyulf01y64

Extra network features (PPP, etc)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?i9h76wn483tk16v

OC kernel (up to 1190Mhz, Interactive gov, BT and DSP):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?v6d2jpzaynvchde
    For those having problems setting this speed in the CM7 performance settings, give setCPU a try, but don't use profiles. Using set CPU, i am able to get my system stable at 1190, where the CM7 manager instantly locks up.

Feedback
    After flashing, please make note of OVERALL system response. The dip in quadrant scores prompted the fix, but i feel that the system is overall better; I would like some more input if others are seeing this as well.

Any and all feedback is welcome, and I will do what i can for support...
    Thanks for taking care of this while I am gone. Much appreciated.
    The update to *.6 is not necessary anyway.
    When I get back I will revert the *.6 update and compile some of the netfilter/iptables and tun as modules as this seems to be more compatible than compiling them directly into the kernel.
    Just started using CM7 last night (w/bottom keys mod, so the nightly is from a few revisions back), but just installed this kernel (the regular version, w/out the Net adds, which I don't need), wiped cache & Dalvik, rebooted, set OC to 1100 and "performance" in CyangenMod Settings and now getting 1918 Quad score...vs. 1372 on the stock kernel with no OC.

I can definitely live with that score...great work to you and dalingrin!!

Mine on SD Card, CM7 #30

@1100 GHz got 1918 Quadrant; 14.01 Linpack
    @800 MHz got 1347 Quadrant; 10.709 Linpack

uSD 2GB no name, no class :)
    Awesome! 2193 is just insane; i am glad to hear its working for you, since....(

Well that was fun while it lasted. Picked up the NC after an hour of "sleep" and got past lock screen no problem. Opened up QuickPic, at 1190MHz the folder thumbnails never flew by so quickly (I've got 11000 JPEG, about 250Kb each, spread across 94 folders in the eMMC mount). Next checked eMail, it's been syncing with Exchange server OK (wireless set to never sleep). But then fired up Opera Mobile 11, and touchscreen response started acting wonky. Force killed Opera a few times, same touchscreen behavior and pages never finished loading.

Nothing actually froze, so I rebooted. First two attempts locked up prior to lockscreen. Third attempt got past lock-screen but locked up again before I could get to Settings to dial back to 1100MHz. At that point I got out CWR 3.0.1.0 SD, booted into recovery, flashed back to madcat-032511, after which NC booted up no problem. Went into Setting/CyanogenMod/Performance and found clock speed defaulted back to 800MHz, promptly overclocked it back to 1100 MHz, and just now ran Quadrant SE three times and got best score 1966.

I guess 1100MHz is best stable overclock for my NC :(.