EVO 3D Specs. Are they final? Not so sure.

Search This thread

freeza

Recognized Developer
May 28, 2006
Pasadena, CA
www.freeza-inc.com
OnePlus 10 Pro
We may (hopefully) see something done with the hardware of this phone in time for its launch.

Let's think about this:
-Sprint supposedly booked however many hours to their presentation at CTIA, but it really only lasted like 20 minutes?
-Sprint barely showed off the EVO 3D at their own presentation.
-It was shared with a bootleg tablet, the EVO View 4G.
-Not one mention of price, but availability was speculated to be around the summer, which could mean any month during the Summer timespan and even any month after that. I can recall Sprint's past on release speculation being somewhat inaccurate.
More points to note: (from the 26 minute hands-on video)
-Sprint rep on more than one occasion said the software development was earlier than you'd think.
-Task manager reported 110MB free and ~500MB total RAM. The EVO 3D supposedly has 1GB of RAM. You can see proof of this around the 18:40 mark.

What I think was, according to the 26 minute video that was posted by another member in the oval office thread, the Sprint rep said the software development was "earlier" than you'd think. Could this also mean the hardware was that early as well? Could it mean that this phone was kind of rushed out to meet CTIA when it really wasn't even ready for that?

I think Sprint quickly threw this phone out there, to get a general consensus and reaction from the people and they will take this reaction into consideration when finalizing the EVO 3D hardware. When compared to the GSM version (which was denied by HTC, but later made official), we're losing 3GB of ROM (from 4GB down to 1GB) according to Sprint specs. In fact, there are so many inconsistencies about what the EVO 3D will have, in pure speculation alone and what's posted on the Sprint/HTC websites. We may be working with a number of production units here. Also, in the 26 minute video when the Sprint rep was showing off the task manager, uhh I'm not sure if any of you noticed, but around 18:40, the free memory remaining was around 110 MB and the total memory available was somewhere in the 500MBs and if i'm not mistaken, that's horribly low in comparison to the supposed 1GB of RAM and pretty much on par with the current EVO.

This may be wishful thinking talking, but I don't think it's too far fetched to assume we may have a different phone when launched.

Remember how the original EVO 4G was spotted having a red speaker grill but production unit was changed to silver? Small difference but worth noting.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynmqtopi9g&feature=player_embedded

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
I would think it would need some sort of built in memory if it is going to be recording 1080p video. That was the issue with the og Evo and 720p, the sd card it shipped with wasnt fast enough to keep up with it unless it was heavily compressed.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
We may (hopefully) see something done with the hardware of this phone in time for its launch.

Let's think about this:
-Sprint supposedly booked however many hours to their presentation at CTIA, but it really only lasted like 20 minutes?
-Sprint barely showed off the EVO 3D at their own presentation.
-It was shared with a bootleg tablet, the EVO View 4G.
-Not one mention of price, but availability was speculated to be around the summer, which could mean any month during the Summer timespan and even any month after that. I can recall Sprint's past on release speculation being somewhat inaccurate.
More points to note: (from the 26 minute hands-on video)
-Sprint rep on more than one occasion said the software development was earlier than you'd think.
-Task manager reported 110MB free and ~500MB total RAM. The EVO 3D supposedly has 1GB of RAM. You can see proof of this around the 18:40 mark.

What I think was, according to the 26 minute video that was posted by another member in the oval office thread, the Sprint rep said the software development was "earlier" than you'd think. Could this also mean the hardware was that early as well? Could it mean that this phone was kind of rushed out to meet CTIA when it really wasn't even ready for that?

I think Sprint quickly threw this phone out there, to get a general consensus and reaction from the people and they will take this reaction into consideration when finalizing the EVO 3D hardware. When compared to the GSM version (which was denied by HTC, but later made official), we're losing 3GB of ROM (from 4GB down to 1GB) according to Sprint specs. In fact, there are so many inconsistencies about what the EVO 3D will have, in pure speculation alone and what's posted on the Sprint/HTC websites. We may be working with a number of production units here. Also, in the 26 minute video when the Sprint rep was showing off the task manager, uhh I'm not sure if any of you noticed, but around 18:40, the free memory remaining was around 110 MB and the total memory available was somewhere in the 500MBs and if i'm not mistaken, that's horribly low in comparison to the supposed 1GB of RAM and pretty much on par with the current EVO.

This may be wishful thinking talking, but I don't think it's too far fetched to assume we may have a different phone when launched.

Remember how the original EVO 4G was spotted having a red speaker grill but production unit was changed to silver? Small difference but worth noting.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ynmqtopi9g&feature=player_embedded

first time I've seen this being shown anywhere. Speaking about hte RAM issue at hand shown in the video. Very odd that it had like 553MB shown in the taskmanager yet documents shown state it should have 1GB RAM.

Also the differing specs listedon HTC's site and Sprints site when it comes to ROM as HTC states 1GB while sprint states 4GB. Hopefully sprint is right with specs there.

GuyPsy

Aug 15, 2010
HTC removed the specifications page from the product page. Maybe that's a sign that it's not final. Maybe they're planning to make improvements and they want to keep it secret until the launch day. Couple of hours ago the specification page was still available, but now there is no link for that at the official page.

popular nobody

May 20, 2010
Secret
What's holding up the device is the software, not hardware. Specs wise, what you see is what you get. Changing hardware now in the game would give you a end of 3Q release. You're going to see more device testers in the wild soon, which is more software related than the other.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
What's holding up the device is the software, not hardware. Specs wise, what you see is what you get. Changing hardware now in the game would give you a end of 3Q release. You're going to see more device testers in the wild soon, which is more software related than the other.

True but hardware like the memory size is still very adjustible and given the differing reports for whats inside leaves lots of possibilities. ie sprint said 4GB ROM while HTC showed 1GB and also in the video above it only showed 533MB RAM while both HTC and sprint said there was 1GB on board.
Just very conflicting reports.

fen_nyc

Mar 13, 2011
nyc
freeza, you make a valid point. However, as you suggested, it's likely because the software running on the Evo 3D wasn't ready. Apart from the quantity of RAM for storage, I don't think the hardware will be significantly different from what was announced.

Yes, Sprint should have done more for the press, but they usually come through in the end.

AyyRayy

Sep 19, 2010
Lol that is weird. If you search for the evo 3d special page you can find it. But if you are on the HTC evo3d overview they took away the specs tab hah so who knows