FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Where does Odin come from ?

79 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

By js22, Member on 29th March 2011, 09:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
So maybe its my background in Linux, but there's something that just creeps me out about Odin. I tried searching here and on Google, and all I can find are links (mostly broken) to download it from various cheesy file sharing sites.

Does anybody know where the software actually comes from? Who wrote it? Is it legal, or was it swiped from Samsung?

It seems weird to me that a software community that is based so much on open source software relies so heavily on such a shady system.

Am I missing something?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to js22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift js22 Ad-Free

29th March 2011, 10:06 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 680

More
i believe it is used at samsung repair centers to flash multiple phones similtaniously.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dani897 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dani897 Ad-Free
29th March 2011, 10:09 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by js22

So maybe its my background in Linux, but there's something that just creeps me out about Odin. I tried searching here and on Google, and all I can find are links (mostly broken) to download it from various cheesy file sharing sites.

Does anybody know where the software actually comes from? Who wrote it? Is it legal, or was it swiped from Samsung?

It seems weird to me that a software community that is based so much on open source software relies so heavily on such a shady system.

Am I missing something?

For Samsung engineer internal use. leaked with ROMs.

And saved tons of bricked Galaxy S. Thanks Samsung.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radukk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Radukk Ad-Free
29th March 2011, 11:03 AM |#4  
Madison
Thanks Meter: 50

More
I think Odin is a Samsung internal maintainance tool. There are other tools to write the phone throuhg download mode under Linux.
29th March 2011, 11:13 AM |#5  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 2,939

Donate to Me
More
oh hey i dont think anyone mentioned that it came from samsung maintenance.....
The Following User Says Thank You to TRusselo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TRusselo Ad-Free
29th March 2011, 01:23 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Is there an Odin for the new 2.2 for I897?
29th March 2011, 01:41 PM |#7  
Yes there is a 2.2. Just look for "Odin3 2.2 Captivate" on google.
29th March 2011, 02:17 PM |#8  
Madison
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayzGpa

Is there an Odin for the new 2.2 for I897?

Odin is not specific to any ROM.

You can use either the oldest Odin3 1.0 or the newest Odin3 1.81 to flash any ROM. Just some difference in features and UI layout.

To OG, I don't see a problem not to use an opensource way to write the firmware into the device through the device specific mode. BL isn't opensource and you still get the choice of CWM.
29th March 2011, 03:31 PM |#9  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 8,855

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamOutler

Yes there is a 2.2. Just look for "Odin3 2.2 Captivate" on google.

The ODIN one click 2.2 is the OLD JI6 leak and not the actual KB1 release
The Following User Says Thank You to Pirateghost For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pirateghost Ad-Free
29th March 2011, 05:22 PM |#10  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Okay, so the fact that its leaked (as opposed to released) from Samsung explains why it isn't hosted on a respectable site.

Again, I'm not used to the Micro$oft side of things, but it seems to me like running some binary you stumbled across on an unknown website might not be the best of ideas. Do Windows uses ever get computer viruses ?

How hard would it be to write a program called Odin that grabs your IMEI, sticks malware on your phone, or maybe just "accidentally" fails while writing your bootloader ? How do you know that the latest random "Odin" binary you stumble upon on the web isn't exactly such a program ?

One of the great things about open source (besides the price !) is that you (or at least somebody somewhere) knows exactly what you are getting. I haven't actually used heimdall (no affiliation with author) but I'm surprised that this or some equivalent open-source approach isn't more widely used amongst the xda crowd.

I guess that even with an open-source flashing program you still need the binaries for the bootloaders, the pit file, and so on. But (as I understand it) at least in theory you could legally, safely obtain these from your own phone before you start flashing stuff.
29th March 2011, 08:38 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by js22

Okay, so the fact that its leaked (as opposed to released) from Samsung explains why it isn't hosted on a respectable site.

Again, I'm not used to the Micro$oft side of things, but it seems to me like running some binary you stumbled across on an unknown website might not be the best of ideas. Do Windows uses ever get computer viruses ?

How hard would it be to write a program called Odin that grabs your IMEI, sticks malware on your phone, or maybe just "accidentally" fails while writing your bootloader ? How do you know that the latest random "Odin" binary you stumble upon on the web isn't exactly such a program ?

One of the great things about open source (besides the price !) is that you (or at least somebody somewhere) knows exactly what you are getting. I haven't actually used heimdall (no affiliation with author) but I'm surprised that this or some equivalent open-source approach isn't more widely used amongst the xda crowd.

I guess that even with an open-source flashing program you still need the binaries for the bootloaders, the pit file, and so on. But (as I understand it) at least in theory you could legally, safely obtain these from your own phone before you start flashing stuff.

Odin, Heimdall and all of the various ROMs, kernels modems and whatnot linked in messages in XDA forums share the same safety mechanism - the XDA community. If one of the popular ROMs was crashing phones there would be shouting in all the forums about it. So that wouldn't work at all. What we need to watch for are more subtle attacks like botnet sleepers in the ROMs or something else gathering user data and passing it along for more sinister uses than Google's usual data gathering.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)