FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Sony Ericsson MBW-150 OLED repairs

488 posts
Thanks Meter: 52

By netstat_EVO, Senior Member on 29th March 2011, 06:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have recently picked up a SE MBW-150 Music Edition... Just to be plagued with the super dim OLED screen issue.

From what I have read, there seems to be two major issues with these watches that are deal breakers for most people, as SE won't repair/replace your device unless it is still under warranty (kind of hard to do since they are out of production).

1) Battery issues. Status: solved, thanks to XDA members

2) Fading/dead OLED display. Status: doesn't appear that anyone has tackled this problem yet.

So, after being plenty pissed that the gift I had just bought myself was broken. I decided to get past it and make the best of it.... And take it apart.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't like reading, start here.
The top part is just me being long winded.

There are two pieces of good news...
1) It still works after I got done snooping around inside and put it back together.
2) I think I have sourced replacement OLED displays.

I am waiting for the display panels I ordered to be shipped, and I will be the first guinea pig to see if my solution works.

After that (providing that everything goes well) I would be willing to offer repairs on a first come first serve basis for a nominal fee (cover parts, shipping, and buy me a beer lol).

If you don't like reading, stop here... Lazy.

So all in all, I really have some hope for extending the life of a product that all of us paid way to much for to get just enough life out of to get out of warranty. I really don't see how Sony Ericsson can do this to us in the first place, charge top dollar and then out right refuse to service them if they are out of warranty.

Once I get the panels in, I will post pics of before and after.

Hopefully after will be a pic of my MBW-150 Music with a working display... But there is always the chance of it being a pic of melted pieces, char marks, and bandages... Lets hope for the first one

30-Mar-2011 Update:
4-8 week for delivery of initial order of red oled displays.

31-Mar-2011 Update:
Added information on OLED displays I am trying
to work with. Link to post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to netstat_EVO For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift netstat_EVO Ad-Free

30th March 2011, 12:39 AM |#2  
Flag Irving, TX
Thanks Meter: 512

Donate to Me
More
This is very good news. My display went out too, but when I tried to take the watch apart something seemed to be catching, so I chickened out.

I'll be watching and waiting to see your results.
30th March 2011, 01:20 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Just an FYI.

The displays I am getting are red OLED.
having the music edition, I wanted orange, like the OEM screen but I couldn't find them anywhere. Red seemed like it would semi match the color scheme.

The brightness rating was lower on red, but predicted lifespan was almost double that of the other colors.
30th March 2011, 01:28 AM |#4  
Flag Irving, TX
Thanks Meter: 512

Donate to Me
More
The Executive that I have and the Classic both have white displays, so if you get it figured out, I hope you can get some of those too.
30th March 2011, 02:05 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith94

The Executive that I have and the Classic both have white displays, so if you get it figured out, I hope you can get some of those too.

Just checked mfg datasheet. If the displays work out, white is available.
30th March 2011, 04:31 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thankkkk....... ...
30th March 2011, 07:42 AM |#7  
Flag greece
Thanks Meter: 14

More
count me in as a future customer, if your project goes good!
30th March 2011, 02:43 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
UPDATE FROM SUPPLIER:
4-8 Weeks for delivery.

UPDATE FROM ME:
Prices are looking good. My initial order was only two displays (one for the watch, and one in case I screw up). Total price with displays and shipping was just under $30 US.
30th March 2011, 03:47 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello nice News . Can you post a Datasheet or a Link ? Please
30th March 2011, 06:36 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NF4LP

Hello nice News . Can you post a Datasheet or a Link ? Please

Once I am certain that it will work, I will post all the info I have.
I'm not pulling a Sony and saying that I am not giving info out, just that I want to be sure that the info is actually correct first.
31st March 2011, 06:55 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
There's a set of 96x16 for $15 on Ebay; I was thinking they might be similar to the originals for my Executive edition (says blue). I haven't disassembled my 150 yet to see if they're the same display, but the specs mentioned hot bar contacts. My soldering skills wouldn't lend themselves to something like this, but definitely keep us posted on how this works. I would love to get my 150 working again. I hope you manage to solve this issue!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mbw-150, oled, sony sucks

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)