FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] iPhone tether to Xoom Wifi

34 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By jack2k5, Member on 30th March 2011, 06:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I know this topic seems similar to some. But it's not exactly the same.

I am trying to use my iPhone to tether to the new Xoom WIFI model. My tethering app used in iPhone is MyWi

I read the forum and found that Xoom WIFI doesn't support Adhoc. This is probably the reason why I cannot do the internet tethering.

Does anyone know how you can use iPhone to do the internet tethering to Xoom WIFI?

Will this Adhoc problem be solved by our developers here? If so, I could probably wait.

If I cannot find a solution, I have to return this device. I tried Xoom 3G, it supports Adhoc. This is just a bad move from Motorola to disable the Adhoc support on the Wifi model.

30th March 2011, 07:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Not sure with the iPhone. I can tether from my atrix to the wifi Xoom, but I have the tethering plan.
30th March 2011, 07:16 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 127

More
The 3g xoom does not support adhoc either, you are somehow misinformed.

I am 100% sure that it can be enabled however.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App
The Following User Says Thank You to Bauxite For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bauxite Ad-Free
30th March 2011, 07:25 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
At the moment, the Xoom does not support connection to an ad-hoc network. However, it can be tethered via bluetooth, so if your iPhone can do bluetooth tethering, you should be able to connect.

There has been some discussion of enabling the ad-hoc capability in the development forum, if I recall (it is capable, but either locked or not yet implemented or something), so you may want to check there for any updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to manders2600 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift manders2600 Ad-Free
30th March 2011, 07:40 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Im using MyFi in Bluetooth mode and it works great with the Xoom.

You just need to pair the two, like any Bluetooth device and then in MyWi enable bluetooth, then on the xoom under blutooth click the wrench next to the iphone and select tether - Thats it.
The Following User Says Thank You to PensFan66 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PensFan66 Ad-Free
30th March 2011, 07:43 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan66

Im using MyFi in Bluetooth mode and it works great with the Xoom.

You just need to pair the two, like any Bluetooth device and then in MyWi enable bluetooth, then on the xoom under blutooth click the wrench next to the iphone and select tether - Thats it.

Thank you. I tried. It will paired but it won't connect. When I hit the tethering in Xoom.. it will say tethered and then lose connection again. Any idea?

Thanks again
30th March 2011, 07:48 PM |#7  
Flag WV
Thanks Meter: 521

Donate to Me
More
Here's the thread on tethering the iPhone to the Xoom 3G. I followed it and it works flawlessly. I use TetherMe on the iPhone and have no problems. I can even connect the phone to the car stereo (as handsfree) AND use the internet on the Xoom simultaneously. FYI - I have NOT activated 3G with Verizon.

Hope that helps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funnycreature For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift funnycreature Ad-Free
30th March 2011, 08:24 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature

Here's the thread on tethering the iPhone to the Xoom 3G. I followed it and it works flawlessly. I use TetherMe on the iPhone and have no problems. I can even connect the phone to the car stereo (as handsfree) AND use the internet on the Xoom simultaneously. FYI - I have NOT activated 3G with Verizon.

Hope that helps!

Thank you. I finally get it to work using Bluetooth tethering. I used Tetherme from Cydia. The connection speed is slow though (AT&T), I will do more test to see if it is caused by the bluetooth connection.

Thank you all for the valuable inputs.
30th March 2011, 08:27 PM |#9  
Flag WV
Thanks Meter: 521

Donate to Me
More
No problem! We're all in the same boat here. And there's always the "thanks" button
The Following User Says Thank You to funnycreature For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift funnycreature Ad-Free
30th March 2011, 11:29 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycreature

No problem! We're all in the same boat here. And there's always the "thanks" button

Just noticed that. I clicked all the Thanks button. Good luck ^^
1st April 2011, 09:59 PM |#11  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 7

More
something weird, I have a factory unlocked iphone 4 (with no jailbreak) and I bought a xoom wifi expecting to have trouble pairing to the iphone 4 hotspot based on this thread.

I was testing trying to pair them via bluetooth with the original iphone 4 hotspot option before trying the jailbreak programs bluetooth method. As I was testing this I noticed my xoom displayed my iphone 4 wifi hotspot network name in the wifi networks, so my xoom sees my iphone 4 wifi hotspot and is able to connect to it, i don´t know why but it does.

So maybe my iphone 4 model MC605ZP is not using ad-hoc or my xoom is seeing an ad-hoc network....all i know is a I´m very happy!!

Edit: It seems IOs 4.3 hotspot is in fact Infrastructure so is not that weird lol...
The Following User Says Thank You to jpraider75 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jpraider75 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)