25 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By roytellect, Junior Member on 31st March 2011, 05:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
4th May 2011, 01:18 AM |#71  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I received a replacement phone yesterday with updated firmware. Wi-Fi freezing still occurs, though it's now more [I]hanging[I] than freezing. Sometimes if I let the phone sit for a minute or two it will "catch up" and go back to normal. But apps still crash, still have to pop out the battery, etc.

I called Dell Mobility support, and the lady I spoke with (Kim) said that they are rolling out a firmware update to all devices on May 18. Take that with a grain of salt, obviously.

So that's my 2 cents. I still LOVE this phone. But functionality without Wi-Fi sucks...
The Following User Says Thank You to Shoot2ill For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shoot2ill Ad-Free
4th May 2011, 04:30 AM |#72  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Besides having major issues that are Wi-Fi related, the phone now suffers from a slider reboot issue. The Wi-Fi issue is one thing that I can work around, but the slider reboot is definitely not one of them. For instance, I flick the keyboard upward to reveal the keyboard, then I flick the screen downward to have the screen go completely black. Pressing and/or holding any button on the phone provides no response whatsoever. I have to completely remove the battery to have the phone reboot again. This lockup occurs even when I flick the screen upward to reveal the phone. This is becoming a new level of upsetting now.
4th May 2011, 07:09 AM |#73  
Flag Layton
Thanks Meter: 40

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot2ill

I received a replacement phone yesterday with updated firmware. Wi-Fi freezing still occurs, though it's now more [I]hanging[I] than freezing. Sometimes if I let the phone sit for a minute or two it will "catch up" and go back to normal. But apps still crash, still have to pop out the battery, etc.

I called Dell Mobility support, and the lady I spoke with (Kim) said that they are rolling out a firmware update to all devices on May 18. Take that with a grain of salt, obviously.

So that's my 2 cents. I still LOVE this phone. But functionality without Wi-Fi sucks...

You are not the only person I have heard the May 18th info from. An article at the Mobility Digest had the same information, but the writer was not able to verify the information by calling Dell. So lets cross our fingers, but not have to much hope, given the track record Dell has had and all
4th May 2011, 11:29 AM |#74  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephnath

You are not the only person I have heard the May 18th info from. An article at the Mobility Digest had the same information, but the writer was not able to verify the information by calling Dell. So lets cross our fingers, but not have to much hope, given the track record Dell has had and all

The MD article was quoting Shoot2ill post above, nothing new here apart from more BS from Dell.
4th May 2011, 12:03 PM |#75  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Ok...When i thought all is going well, today something dreaded happenend. Today the alarm didn't go off. So when i woke and saw the phone, it was saying the message 'SD not accessible, so turn off and reboot...bla..bla'. I ended powering off and powering on - all is back to normal. Guess leaving it on wifi for 4 days now must have irritated the Dell gods in the phone . Going to see it for couple of more days without wifi and see if the issue occurs.
4th May 2011, 01:33 PM |#76  
Flag Auburn, WA
Thanks Meter: 91

More
That message sometimes occurs when the card is not seated totally. I also received that message when using the class 4 card...but not the class 2. My WiFi is always on...so ots probably not that.

Sent from my Venue Pro using XDA Windows Phone 7 App
4th May 2011, 01:36 PM |#77  
Flag Auburn, WA
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay

The MD article was quoting Shoot2ill post above, nothing new here apart from more BS from Dell.

I have heard a similar date also. Contacts at windows phone are considering the incorrect system memory issue as a primary cause. That might be interesting in itself.

4th May 2011, 02:02 PM |#78  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar1

That message sometimes occurs when the card is not seated totally. I also received that message when using the class 4 card...but not the class 2. My WiFi is always on...so ots probably not that.

Interestingly, its the stock card. I didn't even change it yet. May be Dell started using class 4?
4th May 2011, 02:49 PM |#79  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uKnowChinchilla

Besides having major issues that are Wi-Fi related, the phone now suffers from a slider reboot issue. The Wi-Fi issue is one thing that I can work around, but the slider reboot is definitely not one of them. For instance, I flick the keyboard upward to reveal the keyboard, then I flick the screen downward to have the screen go completely black. Pressing and/or holding any button on the phone provides no response whatsoever. I have to completely remove the battery to have the phone reboot again. This lockup occurs even when I flick the screen upward to reveal the phone. This is becoming a new level of upsetting now.

Slider resetting the phone is a hardware issue and should (still) be covered under warranty from Dell. It's not a problem that will resolve itself with firmware/software updates, so I recommend you contact Dell and have them send you a new device.
4th May 2011, 04:52 PM |#80  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by notebookgrail

Interestingly, its the stock card. I didn't even change it yet. May be Dell started using class 4?

My 8gb purchased last month came with class 4.
4th May 2011, 06:40 PM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by notebookgrail

I believe the Dell has always used class 4 cards in both the 8 and 16GB models.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)