FORUMS

[MOD] Faster WIFI for X8 - N standard enabling

703 posts
Thanks Meter: 239

By Graveir, Senior Member on 2nd April 2011, 06:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi folks!

The modification I present here comes from this thread.

So far tested on: miniCM RC1, CM7 RC4

To work!

1. We go to /system/etc/firmaware directory and find files named:
Code:
/etc/firmware/fm_rx_init_1273.2.bts
/etc/firmware/fm_tx_init_1273.2.bts
/etc/firmware/fmc_init_1273.2.bts
2. Are they there? Good, don't touch them. Are they not there? Well, it's a pity, you won't get 5GHz band :P
3. Go back to /system/etc and find a file named tiwlan.ini
NOTE: In CM7 based ROMs the path may be /system/etc/wifi
4. Look for the following lines:
Code:
HT_Enable=0                                           #0=diable 802.11n support / 1=Enable
BurstModeEnable = 0                                   # 0 - Disabled  1 - Enabled
WiFiAdhoc = 0
and change them into:
Code:
HT_Enable=1                                           #0=diable 802.11n support / 1=Enable
BurstModeEnable = 1                                   # 0 - Disabled  1 - Enabled
WiFiAdhoc = 1
5. This stage is for people who have files from step 1!
Look for the line:
Code:
Single_Dual_Band_Solution = 0
and change it into
Code:
Single_Dual_Band_Solution = 1
6. Save, reboot.

Troubleshooting: If after enabling your wifi keeps disconnecting, or you get the "connecting" bug, go to settings->networks->wifi, erase all remembered networks and reboot.

Disclamer: if you crush your wifi or brick your phone, I'm not responsible for it.

5GHz band and AdHoc features need testing to prove they work, N standard 100% working.
Also, I've been told that each ROM has different tiwlan file - if it's so, then we need custom zip for each ROM available. I'm not familiar with how it's done, so if someone could prepare them I'll attach them to the first post

Enjoy, X8 users!
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to Graveir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Graveir Ad-Free
2nd April 2011, 06:34 PM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag The Hague
Thanks Meter: 6,066

More
Thanx for this when i got home i will test on my mini pro with 5gHz if it works i will include it as standart in my rom (mini and mini pro roms)

Sent from my U20i using XDA Premium App
2nd April 2011, 06:41 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Łódź

More
Ok, we've got tests from polish android board and it's confirmed - X8 connects in n standard!
2nd April 2011, 06:44 PM |#4  
Flag Debrecen
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveir

Ok, we've got tests from polish android board and it's confirmed - X8 connects in n standard!

wow, thats just great but dont you think its drain more the battery?
2nd April 2011, 06:50 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Łódź

More
Well, I've installed it something like half an hour ago, so I can't say for sure. There are two possibilities:
1. Since we already had more aerials in our phones, only they were unused, the battery drain with enabled wifi will stay as it was.
2. The additional aerials for n standard were inactive (I don't know if it's possible if they're on one chip, though) and after enabling them the battery drain will increase.

What can I say - check it yourself :P
2nd April 2011, 07:33 PM |#6  
Flag Kartuzy
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmith1

wow, thats just great but dont you think its drain more the battery?

Guys often talk about drain battery.
Generally, better performance and better functionality it is more battery eating. If you want max battery saving, then never do not use bluetooth, wi-fi, GSM, 2G, 3G, set min brightness etc.. Everybody have choose.
2nd April 2011, 07:34 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i noticed no defference !!!!!!!
2nd April 2011, 07:37 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Łódź

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by asn-mat

i noticed no defference !!!!!!!

Check stuff like connection speed or distance that you can now have from you router. Mayhaps you simply have a good router hardware and the difference is hard to spot - I feel an improvement personally

But if you feel you don't need it - switch it off, why risk a higher battery drain if nothing really changes
2nd April 2011, 07:44 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 669

More
Can anyone confirm by checking connected devices in your routers status?
and username and password is often:
Code:
admin
admin
or
Code:
admin
EDIT: If anyone can confirm this I will add this to the next MiniCM.
2nd April 2011, 08:21 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Łódź

More
TESTS:
http://forum.android.com.pl/f257/mod...tml#post541352

What I'm posting is a translation of the linked post:

Quote:

I'm currently using Sense CM7RC3 ROM. In my tiwlan.ini file (which in my case was in /system/etc/wifi) I changed only the lines:
HT_Enable=1
BurstModeEnable = 1

After a restart the phone established connection with Dlink Dir-615 router with firmware dd-wrt without any problem. In order to make sure if the phone is working in n standard I switched the router into N-only mode and it works, while my other phone without this improvement lost connection.
As I use FTP server in my phone on daily basis I made some speed tests.
In G mode I get average of 700kBps.
In N mode I get slightly more - 800kBps.
This means that the phone cannot even fully use the functionality of B standard. Let's add that during saving files on 4 class SD card via USB I get about 1500 kBps.

During tests I was using channel 1, however, there is another network in my range working on the same channel, so I switched my router in channel 13 and the connection speed dropped below 100 kBps.

The Single_Dual_Band_Solution = 1 issue:
I need more tests, but it seems that it does not unlock 5GHz band, but rather extends 2,4Ghz one. In the 2.4 there are 14 channels defined, but you cannot use any above the 9th, this setting allows to use 10-14 channels.

I also tasted range, and there is a considerable improvement here. In the room where G standard was working unstably and slower, N works flawlessly.

Hope it's enough
The Following User Says Thank You to Graveir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Graveir Ad-Free
2nd April 2011, 08:29 PM |#11  
Flag Bavaria
Thanks Meter: 304

Donate to Me
More
Well... I dont find tiwlan.ini in CM7 RC4 Rom... Where is it?

Edit: got it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)