[How to] SBF to 2.3.340 [UBUNTU]/[LINUX]

Search This thread

RandomPooka

Oct 14, 2010
Kent, OH
OnePlus 8
Very vague instructions. I don't know what to do at all. Would like a bit more step by step in regards to what I enter in terminal.

sooo these instructions are reaaalllyy vague. for instance how do i get to the directory where my folder is? do i have the phone plugged in this whole time, or only when it shows "waiting for phone?" please make this noob useable. because i can't tell this right from wrong.

so i think i got to where i'm supposed to be..

derique@ubuntu:~/Documents$ cd sbf/
derique@ubuntu:~/Documents/sbf$ chmod +x sbf_flash
derique@ubuntu:~/Documents/sbf$ sudo .sbf_flash VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01
[sudo] password for derique:

i named the file i put the sbf_flash and the actual sbf file into "sbf"
so assuming that what i've done so far is correct, it won't let me type my password.. it actually won't let me type anything at all.

i got to [waiting for phone] but i didn't type in the "sudo" part of the command.

now i get to the part where it says waiting for phone.. so do i plug in when it's on, in the bootloader, or what?
when i plug in while it's in the bootloader i get this:

>> waiting for phone: FAILED: Could not claim usb interface
(Are you root?)
derique@ubuntu:~/Documents/sbf$

but i don't think i'm rooted. i unrooted many times via z4root. so what else can i do guys? i need help

These are BASIC linux CLI commands. You want a tutorial on how to change directories in linux? You are in the wrong forums. Of course you need to plug your phone in to the computer. And it won't matter when so much, as long as you plug it in BEFORE sending the command that flashes to it (obviously)

I hate to sound like a jerk, but seriously learn the extreme basics of your OS before telling someone they are being too vague with their instructions

Everything went perfect, except I'm bootlooping right now.

Any suggestions?

Anyone experiencing bootloops after SBF needs to enter stock recovery (Power+Home) and wipe data/cache. The remnants of your old data and cache cause the bootloops

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Not trying to argue, but when my X got an update notice, I took it and ended up with Android 2.3.3, Gingerbread. Root was totally gone, although Z4 Root was still there but no longer worked. Dude, I tried everything. All of the root apk files for the phone, nothing. All of the root programs for Windows, followed all the instructions, phone reboots, and...
...nothing. I was ready to give up.

But one dude said One Click works great, what is the problem? I downloaded one click for windows and nothing again. So I asked the guy what he was talking about, the Linux script he said, but I could not find the link in the forum so he pointed it to me. This was a Linux shell script. Nothing more than a few files and a text file that can be executed because it calls instructions from the operating system. I never thought to plug my phone into the USB jack of a Linux PC. Just so happened that I have a Linux PC, running Fedora on it but they are all the same.

I plugged the phone into the Linux running PC and it logged in as if it were a person. Then I ran the script and the phone had to reboot twice, the script would ask me to unlock the phone (Slide finger) after every boot. The last boot came and I was rooted. No issues at all. Wow! Windows could not break Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3), but since Android IS Linux, it had not problems at all.

I have good news for you. You do not have to install Linux on your PC, chance messing it up (Windows will not boot after you do that unless you know how to setup dual boot.), and then figure out all this strange stuff you never heard of.

You can download a "Live" CD of Linux, Ubuntu is about the easiest one out there, all free. You burn the CD from the downloaded iso file and then restart your PC, make sure it is set to boot to CD before hard disc, if present. Or hit the boot menu at startup, many computers us the F12 key for this, watch your screen at startup. The PC will boot from the CD and NOT your hard drive and boot right into Ubuntu Linux, right on a user friendly desktop, and from there, you are free to use any Linux tool you like on your phone. Plus you get to play with Linux and do not have to change your PC at all and get a really cool Non-Microsoft Windows to play in. Just click Restart and remove the CD when done, poof! Your old PC is back, nothing changed and now you have your phone done.

I know, you want something for Microsoft Windows but I am telling you that I wasted a LOT of hours, trying every Windows root program out there and NONE of them worked. I just wanted to point out an easy option if you just want to get this done fast.

Oh, to find this use google and put this in the search bar:
download ubuntu live cd

You will find a big iso file right away, almost 700Mb, easy to burn right to a CD. I am not "pushing" Ubuntu on anyone, but it is just about the easiest one to use, even though I still use Fedora. (I wish that gnome and compiz would just give up the fight and cooperate again.)

Cheers.

For rooting the newer versions of Droid X Gingerbread OTA updates, use one of the universal rooters for Droid3/Bionic. I use Pete's myself and it's worked like a charm every time

Reactions: powerpoint45

BrahManty

Jan 20, 2012
Hmm... I'm getting as far as typing in "sudo ./sbf_flash mb809-2.3.5.sbf" and then it asks for my password, when i type it in I just get a "sudo: .sbf_flash: command not found" message. I havent seen anyone else get anything like this... im pretty sure im doing everything else right.

So stumped, I bricked my phone's data with the .621 sbf on windows and I have no idea what else to do.

ylexot

Dec 8, 2010
Possible reasons for that message are:
You got the chmod command wrong so that the sbf_flash is not executable
You got the path for the command wrong
You got the name of the command wrong (I notice that there's a period in front of the sbf_flash that shouldn't be there)

Maybe you missed the "/" in "./sbf_flash"?

BrahManty

Jan 20, 2012
I don't know... I've done everything just like it says. Here's a screenshot of the terminal window and the file system to show where everything is/what it's named... I don't see how it could possibly be wrong, but it gives me that message every time.

Edit: picture was too small as .png, changed it to .jpeg so i could get it bigger

Edit two: For whatever reason, I think my USB drive was the problem. I copied the files over to my desktop and tried from there, and its flashing it right now.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
sooo these instructions are reaaalllyy vague. for instance how do i get to the directory where my folder is? do i have the phone plugged in this whole time, or only when it shows "waiting for phone?" please make this noob useable. because i can't tell this right from wrong.

so assuming that what i've done so far is correct, it won't let me type my password.. it actually won't let me type anything at all.

Your ignorance makes me laugh

droid47

Jan 27, 2013
Noob here. I got as far as trying to flash the second file. I'm flashing using Ubuntu. When I try to flash the 2nd file this is what I get:

dom@dom-K52F:~$ cd sbf
dom@dom-K52F:~/sbf$ chmod +x sbf_flash
dom@dom-K52F:~/sbf$ sudo ./sbf_flash 2_BL=2_BOOT_REC_CDTf_Repack_629.sbf
[sudo] password for dom:
SBF FLASH 1.24 (mbm)
(link removed)

2_BL=2_BOOT_REC_CDTf_Repack_629.sbf: No such file or directory
Usage: sbf_flash <filename>

I'm a noob to linux as well. I'm thinking there is something stupid in one of the commands I'm not seeing. Any help would be appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out right now!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I updated in a hurry to and wanted to SBF back, didn't find a very useful linux guide. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10

Files you will need:

1. sbf_flash
    2. Full SBF 2.3.340

Guide:
    1. Created a folder and place the files inside.
    2. Make sure the sbf is unzipped into the folder.
    3. Open a Terminal and change to the directory to your folder
    4. Type chmod +x sbf_flash
    5. Type sudo ./sbf_flash name of sbf file
    6. Type in your password
    7. Let it run until is shows "waiting for phone"
    8. Restart the phone ( Make sure it's plugged into your PC )
    9. Enjoy.

Hope it helps!
    Very vague instructions. I don't know what to do at all. Would like a bit more step by step in regards to what I enter in terminal.

i got to [waiting for phone] but i didn't type in the "sudo" part of the command.

now i get to the part where it says waiting for phone.. so do i plug in when it's on, in the bootloader, or what?
    when i plug in while it's in the bootloader i get this:

>> waiting for phone: FAILED: Could not claim usb interface
    (Are you root?)
    derique@ubuntu:~/Documents/sbf$

but i don't think i'm rooted. i unrooted many times via z4root. so what else can i do guys? i need help

These are BASIC linux CLI commands. You want a tutorial on how to change directories in linux? You are in the wrong forums. Of course you need to plug your phone in to the computer. And it won't matter when so much, as long as you plug it in BEFORE sending the command that flashes to it (obviously)

I hate to sound like a jerk, but seriously learn the extreme basics of your OS before telling someone they are being too vague with their instructions

Everything went perfect, except I'm bootlooping right now.

Any suggestions?

Anyone experiencing bootloops after SBF needs to enter stock recovery (Power+Home) and wipe data/cache. The remnants of your old data and cache cause the bootloops

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Not trying to argue, but when my X got an update notice, I took it and ended up with Android 2.3.3, Gingerbread. Root was totally gone, although Z4 Root was still there but no longer worked. Dude, I tried everything. All of the root apk files for the phone, nothing. All of the root programs for Windows, followed all the instructions, phone reboots, and...
    ...nothing. I was ready to give up.

But one dude said One Click works great, what is the problem? I downloaded one click for windows and nothing again. So I asked the guy what he was talking about, the Linux script he said, but I could not find the link in the forum so he pointed it to me. This was a Linux shell script. Nothing more than a few files and a text file that can be executed because it calls instructions from the operating system. I never thought to plug my phone into the USB jack of a Linux PC. Just so happened that I have a Linux PC, running Fedora on it but they are all the same.

I plugged the phone into the Linux running PC and it logged in as if it were a person. Then I ran the script and the phone had to reboot twice, the script would ask me to unlock the phone (Slide finger) after every boot. The last boot came and I was rooted. No issues at all. Wow! Windows could not break Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3), but since Android IS Linux, it had not problems at all.

I have good news for you. You do not have to install Linux on your PC, chance messing it up (Windows will not boot after you do that unless you know how to setup dual boot.), and then figure out all this strange stuff you never heard of.

You can download a "Live" CD of Linux, Ubuntu is about the easiest one out there, all free. You burn the CD from the downloaded iso file and then restart your PC, make sure it is set to boot to CD before hard disc, if present. Or hit the boot menu at startup, many computers us the F12 key for this, watch your screen at startup. The PC will boot from the CD and NOT your hard drive and boot right into Ubuntu Linux, right on a user friendly desktop, and from there, you are free to use any Linux tool you like on your phone. Plus you get to play with Linux and do not have to change your PC at all and get a really cool Non-Microsoft Windows to play in. Just click Restart and remove the CD when done, poof! Your old PC is back, nothing changed and now you have your phone done.

I know, you want something for Microsoft Windows but I am telling you that I wasted a LOT of hours, trying every Windows root program out there and NONE of them worked. I just wanted to point out an easy option if you just want to get this done fast.

Oh, to find this use google and put this in the search bar:
    download ubuntu live cd

You will find a big iso file right away, almost 700Mb, easy to burn right to a CD. I am not "pushing" Ubuntu on anyone, but it is just about the easiest one to use, even though I still use Fedora. (I wish that gnome and compiz would just give up the fight and cooperate again.)

Cheers.

For rooting the newer versions of Droid X Gingerbread OTA updates, use one of the universal rooters for Droid3/Bionic. I use Pete's myself and it's worked like a charm every time