FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Voltage on unofficial micro USB charger

32 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By paddyb, Member on 4th April 2011, 11:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
My GF ran over my mains charger cable with the vacum cleanerr at the weekend, so i ordered i new one from Ebay. Rather stupidly (as an "official" one would only be £1 more), i bought this unbranded one:

UK MAINS CHARGER FOR SAMSUNG i5700 i9000 GALAXY S on eBay (end time 02-Apr-11 14:51:41 BST)

When it arrived i noticed that the output is different: 5.5v 500ma as opposed to 5v 700ma from the one that came with the phone.

I know tha ampage will affect charging speed, but am concerned about the extra 0.5 voltage. Is this safe to use?

4th April 2011, 06:43 PM |#2  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 74

More
I'm curious about this too... I thought the "U" in USB meant Universal.

I just ordered 2 micro USB chargers from Ebay for my GF's Sony Vivaz Pro and my Captivate... neither work.

Her's doesn't recognize the charger at all... mine beeps and says "charging", but the battery level never goes up.

My chargers are 5v 500mA.

The chargers were listed as Blackberry chargers, but had a long list of compatible phones underneath (none matched our phones, to be fair.)

Now I'm afraid to buy any more generic chargers....
5th April 2011, 11:36 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
I don't know if the output voltage is part of the USB standard or not. I know that computers output 5v and it seems like a lot of phone chargers also do. However, i've seen some external battery chargers listed as compatible with the SGS listed as 5.2v, so maybe theres an accepted voltage range? Does anyone know for sure if a 5.5v is acceptable?

I'm not sure why the ones you have don't work as the specs seem right,possibly they are faulty?
5th April 2011, 02:10 PM |#4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyb

I don't know if the output voltage is part of the USB standard or not. I know that computers output 5v and it seems like a lot of phone chargers also do. However, i've seen some external battery chargers listed as compatible with the SGS listed as 5.2v, so maybe theres an accepted voltage range? Does anyone know for sure if a 5.5v is acceptable?

I'm not sure why the ones you have don't work as the specs seem right,possibly they are faulty?

Yeah, I'm not sure. I certainly thought so, even though it seemed pretty "unlucky" they both might be faulty.

I did ask the seller, and they claim they are NOT compatible with my phones, but I just don't get it. They're offering me a refund, but at $4 each it's hardly worth my time mailing them.

I found some forums online of a small handful of people like me with chargers that won't work. It seems people with this issue were using 500mA chargers, and anyone using a 700 or 1000 had no problems. This wasn't necessarily because all phones either require 500 or 1000.... Someone also said it's only very certain phones that are built this way. That they require newer, or more powerful chargers... but that it's not the case with all new phones/smartphones.

But there were others who said 500 should charge it, just more slowly.

I still think Micro usb is Micro usb, period. That's why the EU (and here) have been looking at making these chargers universal. I think I'll just try my luck again with another charger.
6th April 2011, 09:58 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
You could try this one, which claims to be (and looks like), an official SGS charger:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-i9000-...item2c5b2d355a
6th April 2011, 11:16 AM |#6  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 684

More
5.5V is supported. I've tested a very wide range of chargers for my SGS and all worked.
The voltage range of these chargers is 4.8V - 5.6V and all worked just fine.
6th April 2011, 06:38 PM |#7  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Wink
I've actually got an original Nokia USB charger which is declared at 5.0v/550mA and it works like a charm...

Model is AC-6E:

7th April 2011, 12:45 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
Well finally decided to give the ebay charger a go. Plugged it in, a green light lit up and plugged the phone in. The phone didn't recognise the charger, no indication the the notification bar that the battery was charging. Unplugged it and and tried again, and now the light on the charger doesn't even come on! Won't be using it again.
18th April 2011, 07:31 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Another question on the topic : Is it save to use charger with higher Amperage ?
I mean original samsung one is 0.7A, could something go wrong if I´ll use 1.0A charger? Thanks

EDIT : Answer no needed anymore - found it in another topic. It should be safe
13th November 2011, 10:56 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I believe any microUSB charger will be safe. Ideally, you want the highest voltage and highest current possible.

I've heard that the phone will use the data lines to tell the USB charger what voltage to set. This ensures voltage compatibility. Then the phone itself regulates the current.. it will only draw as many amps as it needs. So if the PSU can handle 2A, your device may only draw 0.725a for example, but it's safe. You want a high current one to ensure the phone has all it can take.

BTW, I'm not an EE person, so double check what I said.
13th November 2011, 08:18 PM |#11  
Flag Cambridge, UK
Thanks Meter: 282

More
I fear it's not that simple, especially with dumb chargers that can't negotiate current using the USB protocol, and instead may short the data lines, in various ways, instead to tell the device what current to draw...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
charger, unbranded, universal, unofficial, voltage

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)