FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Dropped in water, how to fix?

21 posts
Thanks Meter: 2
 
By dancm91, Junior Member on 6th April 2011, 01:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
It doesn't work, won't turn on, take out battery and plugged into charger it doesn't turn on.

I'm assuming I need a disassembly guide (looked for and couldn't find) and how to figure out what's broken and where to find parts. btw I live in Australia.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
 
 
6th April 2011, 02:53 PM |#2  
Hanzo.Hasashi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Minas Tirith
Thanks Meter: 238
 
More
There is a fix rule when electrical devices come in contact with water, you don't try to power them on and you don't try to charge them!!

The best you could do is to open the phone and let it dry out! leave it drying for days!
I suppose you could use a hair dryer...
If you are lucky it will work..if not you've probaly short circuited it...

btw, here's your guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyT618lVxUs
6th April 2011, 03:01 PM |#3  
owain94's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag The Hague
Thanks Meter: 6,067
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo.Hasashi

There is a fix rule when electrical devices come in contact with water, you don't try to power them on and you don't try to charge them!!

The best you could do is to open the phone and let it dry out! leave it drying for days!
I suppose you could use a hair dryer...
If you are lucky it will work..if not you've probaly short circuited it...

btw, here's your guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyT618lVxUs

never ever use a hairdryer!
just put it it down somewhere turn i around every 30 min this way it will not cause any corrosion but yeah when you sleep you cant turn itaround so before you go to bed and then after but keep the water moving it is better!
it sounds not better but it is!
like the guy above me said dont turn it on don't try to charge it
and try it over around 4-7 days
and ofc cross your fingers and pray

let us know how it goes (:
6th April 2011, 07:54 PM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Fill a cup with Isopropanol Alcohol, and drop the phone in.

Seal the lid.

Leave somewhere for a could hours, shaking around a little every so often to get the fluid into every nook and cranny.

Remove phone and shake out fluid. Leave sitting wrapped in a towel in a warm place (airing cupboard etc) but nowhere too hot.

That SHOULD get all the water out, however you probably already destoyed it by plugging it in.
6th April 2011, 08:04 PM |#5  
harr1994's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
Put in a jar filled with raw rice or a container containing semi-powdered quicklime it will ofc absorb water and let it dry for 4-5 days and try charging or turning it on...hope my reply ain't too late

Sent from my U20i using XDA Premium App
6th April 2011, 08:36 PM |#6  
raiderkilo's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Nitra
Thanks Meter: 34
 
More
Save Into Rice
6th April 2011, 09:07 PM |#7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Strange but true, you should have DIRECTLY put it in raw rice.

That will absorb the water greatly.
7th April 2011, 05:34 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Tepic
Thanks Meter: 577
 
Donate to Me
More
Put ur phone out of water. Dont turn on ur phone. Put ur device in some place by about 1 day and dont touch it!... then try again.
7th April 2011, 07:33 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 51
 
Donate to Me
More
Rice is the answer! It sucks all the water away in a week... although i would leave it 2, just to be 100% sure

Sent from my X10mini
7th April 2011, 10:43 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Sorry guys this happened like a week or two ago now. Took the battery out asap, left it for two days, hair dried it and then tried and it didn't work. I plugged it into the charger to see if it was just the battery that's ****ed, apparently just the battery is dead.

It was in a pool, so chlorine could have corroded some parts? Could I try to clean off the corrosion, replace parts etc. Or would it be cheaper to send to sony ericsson and get them to fix it?
7th April 2011, 02:48 PM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 16
 
More
Sony will just replace the whole phone and charge you a repair fee iirc.

Isopropanol may help with corrosion, but you need to strip the phone down to bare boards and parts, and soak it in the alcohol, then brush at with a SOFT toothbrush and gentle motions.

Isopropanol dries fast and leaves no residue, so it's ideal for loosening gunk and driving out water. I've used it with great success to salvage laptops filled with everything from cola to beer as well as waterlogged wristwatches.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes