How-To [Root][NewLinks] The myTouch 3GS if you updated to Offical 2.2.1 and lost root

Search This thread

Chisle31

Oct 17, 2010
Homestead
First of all i spent 3 days Trying and failing to root the phone and this is my first tutorial if theirs anything i missed please don't hesitate to point it out.

I am Not responsible for any damage, Explosions, Nuclear Holocaust etc. this root method may cause.

Files you will need below:

1. Engineering Recovery package: Download

2. SuperOneClick v1.7: from Here Thanks to CLShortFuse

3. A GoldCard: To easily create a Goldcard in a couple of minutes without ADB skills or commands, check this thread

4. Stock firmware: Download

5.the ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.7 : Download

5. a know how of how to use ADB.
- There's a good ADB learning guide here: ADB for noobs
(Thanks steviewevie)

Lets Begin

Step 1: Assuming you already created a gold card place it in your phone and mount it place the Stock Firmware zip and update.zip on root. and unzip Engineering Recovery package and place them in your AndroidSDK in the "Platform-tools" folder.

Step 2: unzip and run SuperOneClick v1.7 and make sure your phone is connected via USB with USB Debugging ON. Now press Shell Root and let it run you should get a success pop up.

Step 3: Run ADB and type the following:
adb devices
you should get your devices serial
adb push flash_image /data/local
adb push mtd0.img /data/local
adb shell
cd /data/local
chmod 04755 *
/data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img

Step 4: Once complete, power off the TMobile myTouch Slide

Step 5: Hold the Volume Down button while powering on until the device is in bootloader mode.

Step 6: After a minute or so, the device will prompt to see if you want to run the update. Press the Volume Up button to accept & apply the update.
NOTE: (IF YOU GET A ERROR MSG THAT THE ZIP VERSION IS OLDER THEN THE THE PHONE VERSION YOUR GOLDCARD WAS MADE WRONG!!)

Step 7: Once the device is finished applying the update, it will ask you to reboot. DON'T reboot the device & press the Volume Down button to tell the device not to.

Step 8: Back at the bootloader menu, use Volume Down to highlight Recovery and press the Power button to boot into the recovery.

Step 9: Once in the recovery, you will see a device with a triangle. Press Volume Up & the Power button.

Step 10: Use the Volume Down button to highlight Apply update.zip & press the Power button to select this.

Final Step: After a moment, the TMobile myTouch Slide will boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.

After that you can now pull battery and insert your main memory card with your desired ROM and Radio Update if you wish and boot into recovery and Happy
Flashing

Enjoy!! :)

Last edited:

iDaZzLeFatHoeZz

Jan 5, 2011
Coon Rapids
This is how I achieved root! I guess great minds think alike. :) I was just about to post too, but you beat me to the punch. See the minute I realized with SuperOneClick I could achieve Shell root I could push mtd0.img and flash and then flash the engineering build but you beat me to it! I was thinking about it all day during class and it worked but kudos to you!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

Reactions: benweya

Chisle31

Oct 17, 2010
Homestead
This is how I achieved root! I guess great minds think alike. :) I was just about to post too, but you beat me to the punch. See the minute I realized with SuperOneClick I could achieve Shell root I could push mtd0.img and flash and then flash the engineering build but you beat me to it! I was thinking about it all day during class and it worked but kudos to you!

I kinda stmbled onto the root method when I was testing a couple

iDaZzLeFatHoeZz

Jan 5, 2011
Coon Rapids
Yeah me too, I was looking through root methods for other phones and I saw SuperOneClick and then realized with that I can get get shell root and then use ADB to push the files needed, and then flash the engineering build.

nbetcher

Jan 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
But, something of note, this will NOT allow you to gain S-OFF. Once you update to stock OTA you will permanently lose the ability to S-OFF unless you have your device replaced by T-Mobile.

bearshare

Jun 18, 2006
Following your instructions and finally I find myself with RC4 again. Thanks a bunch for helping me out.

austinbrown92

Dec 19, 2010
When I get to step 2 and type in
"#cd /data/local
#chmod 04755 *
#/data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img"
should it be repeating what I type? Cause when I reboot, it checks ESPRIMG then says main version is older, but I know I made my goldcard correctly.

flip3547

maybe my fault

This method worked great, my only problem is that when using rom manager, reboot into recovery doesnt work. It goes to stock recovery but with a question mark. I placed the update.zip on my sdcard and it wont read it pressing volume up and power. I was able to flash cm7, and google apps, but now cant get back into recovery. Not sure what I did in error. I should mention that, trying to stop my wifes complaining about the stock rom, I updated to froyo. I'm familiar with all the tinkering with these phones, I have a G2 rooted, s-off, with CM7 on it. I just don't know about the slide. Any help would be appreciated. Thx in advance.

Chisle31

Oct 17, 2010
Homestead
This method worked great, my only problem is that when using rom manager, reboot into recovery doesnt work. It goes to stock recovery but with a question mark. I placed the update.zip on my sdcard and it wont read it pressing volume up and power. I was able to flash cm7, and google apps, but now cant get back into recovery. Not sure what I did in error. I should mention that, trying to stop my wifes complaining about the stock rom, I updated to froyo. I'm familiar with all the tinkering with these phones, I have a G2 rooted, s-off, with CM7 on it. I just don't know about the slide. Any help would be appreciated. Thx in advance.
U have to keep the update.zip witch is the recovery on sd root and select flash update.zip in stock recovery sense we dont have s-off

austinbrown92

Dec 19, 2010
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, if anything. There's a few things that I might not have right:
1: I'm supposed to cd\ to whatever folder I have the Engineering Recovery package saved to, right?
2: I know when I type adb shell, I should get "#" as a response to my input. So should my prompt look like this:
adb shell
# #cd /data/local
# #chmod 04755 *
# #/data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
or like this:
adb shell
# cd /data/local
# chmod 04755 *
# /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img

txdeathray

Jan 2, 2011
Houston
Ok, just want to make sure I got everything here: basically, once you're rooted with this method, you can go back to factory condition by placing the same esprimg.zip from S-Off troubleshoot section and then re-update with HTC Sync, right?

cramill

Dec 21, 2010
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, if anything. There's a few things that I might not have right:
1: I'm supposed to cd\ to whatever folder I have the Engineering Recovery package saved to, right?
2: I know when I type adb shell, I should get "#" as a response to my input. So should my prompt look like this:
adb shell
# #cd /data/local
# #chmod 04755 *
# #/data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
or like this:
adb shell
# cd /data/local
# chmod 04755 *
# /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img

Did you try both? From my experience with command line stuff, the second looks correct. But, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, just want to make sure I got everything here: basically, once you're rooted with this method, you can go back to factory condition by placing the same esprimg.zip from S-Off troubleshoot section and then re-update with HTC Sync, right?

It seems to me like it would - wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

austinbrown92

Dec 19, 2010
I did try both. It just repeats it when I hit enter. So I turn my phone off, hold vol down + power, let esprimg load, then it says "Main version is older! Do you want to restart?" I choose no, try to apply update.zip, then it says sig verification failed, so i reboot. Not sure what to do :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all i spent 3 days Trying and failing to root the phone and this is my first tutorial if theirs anything i missed please don't hesitate to point it out.

I am Not responsible for any damage, Explosions, Nuclear Holocaust etc. this root method may cause.

Files you will need below:

1. Engineering Recovery package: Download

2. SuperOneClick v1.7: from Here Thanks to CLShortFuse

3. A GoldCard: To easily create a Goldcard in a couple of minutes without ADB skills or commands, check this thread

4. Stock firmware: Download

5.the ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.7 : Download

5. a know how of how to use ADB.
    - There's a good ADB learning guide here: ADB for noobs
    (Thanks steviewevie)

Lets Begin

Step 1: Assuming you already created a gold card place it in your phone and mount it place the Stock Firmware zip and update.zip on root. and unzip Engineering Recovery package and place them in your AndroidSDK in the "Platform-tools" folder.

Step 2: unzip and run SuperOneClick v1.7 and make sure your phone is connected via USB with USB Debugging ON. Now press Shell Root and let it run you should get a success pop up.

Step 3: Run ADB and type the following:
    adb devices
    you should get your devices serial
    adb push flash_image /data/local
    adb push mtd0.img /data/local
    adb shell
    cd /data/local
    chmod 04755 *
    /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img

Step 4: Once complete, power off the TMobile myTouch Slide

Step 5: Hold the Volume Down button while powering on until the device is in bootloader mode.

Step 6: After a minute or so, the device will prompt to see if you want to run the update. Press the Volume Up button to accept & apply the update.
    NOTE: (IF YOU GET A ERROR MSG THAT THE ZIP VERSION IS OLDER THEN THE THE PHONE VERSION YOUR GOLDCARD WAS MADE WRONG!!)

Step 7: Once the device is finished applying the update, it will ask you to reboot. DON'T reboot the device & press the Volume Down button to tell the device not to.

Step 8: Back at the bootloader menu, use Volume Down to highlight Recovery and press the Power button to boot into the recovery.

Step 9: Once in the recovery, you will see a device with a triangle. Press Volume Up & the Power button.

Step 10: Use the Volume Down button to highlight Apply update.zip & press the Power button to select this.

Final Step: After a moment, the TMobile myTouch Slide will boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.

After that you can now pull battery and insert your main memory card with your desired ROM and Radio Update if you wish and boot into recovery and Happy
    Flashing

Enjoy!! :)

yes, I did that and typed all the other commands in order, no problems it's just that last one that's giving me the problem

Hmmm, just to be sure, type "ls -l" (those are both lower case L's) in that same directory and post the output.
    I think I found my problem, Do you absolutely have to have an extra SD card ? I have just been using the one that came with my phone. Where I think I'm screwing up is that I am putting on the ESPRIMG and update files on after the goldcard has been made is this the issue ?

Try using the Goldcard Helper app from the Android Market. That's the only way I was able to get the correct CID for the generator.

Copying the files after making the goldcard shouldn't make a difference.
    you got step 2 wrong because you haven't successful with step 1. Make sure you formated your SD card at FAT 32. Then create Gold card again and put your PC connection at Charge only.
    I'm quite certain I followed all the steps. Yes, my card is FAT32. Does it matter if it's formatted in the phone or a PC? I stuck it in a laptop SD slot with a microSD adapter. Is there something about particular cars that cause it to not work?

This still doesn't address the issue of me being unable to flash mtd0.img to misc, since that step comes before flashing ESPRIMG with the goldcard. Should I attempt to do this in recovery, if so, how would I do that?