whether can realize navigation in gtablet by connecting a garmin GPS?

Search This thread

savage0

Oct 9, 2010
we know that we can realize navigation in gtablet by connecting GPS model~
but I wonder whether we can realize navigation in gtablet by connecting a garmin GPS(my garmin GPS type is 295w) by using the usb port?

thanks~

Xargon321

Mar 1, 2011
i dont think so garmins gps is not set up to share its gps data over usb or bluetooth. you best bet is to get a bluetooth gps unit and use bluegps on the gtab to get navigation they modules run about 20-60 dollers for most and work just great.

Coyot21

Mar 26, 2011
i dont think so garmins gps is not set up to share its gps data over usb or bluetooth. you best bet is to get a bluetooth gps unit and use bluegps on the gtab to get navigation they modules run about 20-60 dollers for most and work just great.

Actually Garmin gpsr's do share their signal via usb. I have used my gpsmap 60csx with my wndows laptops using garmin software Nroute and their mapping software. I am still looking for a method to use it with android.

IndyLateNite

Mar 16, 2011
Greenwood, IN
Actually Garmin gpsr's do share their signal via usb. I have used my gpsmap 60csx with my wndows laptops using garmin software Nroute and their mapping software. I am still looking for a method to use it with android.

But doesn't that require that the software can read the usb signal? I haven't found anything on android that will do this.

I went with a Tom Tom Navigator 6 gps unit (approximately the size of a pack of gum) and BlueGPS on the tablet. It works a little strange since you pair to the gps unit but it never "connects". It just appears in the BlueGPS service and it available to all the gps enabled apps on the g-tab.

Tester30

Dec 13, 2009
Gangtown
I also use Tomtom Bluetooth GPS with CoPilot live 8.
Works great.
Although to answer OP's question about USB connection:
Viewsonic ROMs based on 1.1 version didn't have much of USB functionality.
Now, with 1.2 version released there is more USB support, as keyboard and mouse and several others.
I do not have 4391 installed yet, so cannot try it out.
Maybe someone else running recent ROM can try to connect USB based GPS and let us know?

mbernasocchi

May 2, 2012
I'm looking into gettin garmin_gps module for my CM9 galaxy i9000 running 3.0.8-g4cf4918.
anybody has any hint on how to build the module? thanks a lot
Marco