FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
OnePlus 6 On Sale

[HowTo]THE guide to restoring your Milestone 2

813 posts
Thanks Meter: 458

Post Reply Email Thread
This is my tutorial on restoring the Milestone 2. It is more advanced than the other ones out there so I thought hey, let's tell the community. If you don't understand something please reply in this thread and don't PM me.

1. Install RSD Lite 4.9
2. Download and extract The right SBF restore file
3. Plug in your phone. Power it off and hold CAMERA + VOL DOWN
4. On the PC launch RSD Lite, Click on the [...] to the right of filename, browse for the .sbf file you have just extracted.
5. Click on Start
6. In normal cases the phone should boot up now. If you are SURE it doesn't, which is when it tells you to boot up the phone manually follow the next steps.

7. Unplug the phone and pull out the battery.
8. Slide out your keyboard and hold the X button, insert your battery and power it up while still holding the X button.
9. A screen with an exclamation mark pops up, press the @ button on the keyboard to open the recovery menu.
10. Use either the arrows on the keyboard or the VOL UP / VOL DOWN buttons to navigate up and down. Go down to wipe data/factory reset.
11. It will hang at some times but in the end it will say it's done. Hop over to reboot system now and reboot.

Congrats, if the problem was software-based, your phone will boot now!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Moody For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Moody Ad-Free

12th April 2011, 05:14 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
What if the process doesn't even start? I put my phone in the bootloader mode, plug it in, start up RSD Lite, searh for the sbf on the disk, hit start and then the image starts to unpack from the sbf. So far so good, but when it comes to flashing that image to phone I get an error saying flash failed (in fact it didn' do literally anything to the phone) and displaying info that the phone got a reboot command but didn't respond to it. I tried doing this from booted up android but no luck whatsoever. When I get back home I'll update the post with an error code, maybe you can tell me how the hell I can get my phone to flash sbf seamlessly.

Sent from my Milestone 2
12th April 2011, 05:58 PM |#3  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Arnhem

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@jkel

What if the process doesn't even start? I put my phone in the bootloader mode, plug it in, start up RSD Lite, searh for the sbf on the disk, hit start and then the image starts to unpack from the sbf. So far so good, but when it comes to flashing that image to phone I get an error saying flash failed (in fact it didn' do literally anything to the phone) and displaying info that the phone got a reboot command but didn't respond to it. I tried doing this from booted up android but no luck whatsoever. When I get back home I'll update the post with an error code, maybe you can tell me how the hell I can get my phone to flash sbf seamlessly.

Sent from my Milestone 2

I know it's a bit extreme to do, but it might help for you. Try installing ubuntu or wubi, then use sbf_flash on ubuntu. It takes some time, but if you REALLY need to SBF you should give it a try. Usage is:
chmod 777 sbf_flash
./sbf_flash /path/to/sbf/file
The Following User Says Thank You to Moody For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Moody Ad-Free
12th April 2011, 06:11 PM |#4  

More
I have no knowledge of ubuntu, but I stomped on the same advice as you have mentioned, before. But I didn't quite understand it clearly. I happened to have a ubuntu live 'cd' on my usb flash drive, I have the needed sbf from the links found in the topic of this forum, but is it all that I need, or am I missing something? Is that command you mentioned is everything I need to run?

Sent from my Milestone 2
12th April 2011, 06:46 PM |#5  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Arnhem

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@jkel

I have no knowledge of ubuntu, but I stomped on the same advice as you have mentioned, before. But I didn't quite understand it clearly. I happened to have a ubuntu live 'cd' on my usb flash drive, I have the needed sbf from the links found in the topic of this forum, but is it all that I need, or am I missing something? Is that command you mentioned is everything I need to run?

Sent from my Milestone 2

You first need to download sbf_flash and extract it to your user directory (the one with downloads, desktop folders). Then open up terminal and execute those commands
12th April 2011, 11:09 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 69

More
What firmware is that file?

I have a copy of MILS2_U6_2.2.19_SIGNED_USAMILESTONE2B1B80VF00B.0R_ USXMILE20VFAU_P032_A012_M005_HWp2a_Service1FF.sbf. gz , but don't know if it would be good to flash.
13th April 2011, 09:41 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Your firmware is for the Vodafone Australia Milestone 2.

The one in Mikevhl's post is the UK Firmware.
17th April 2011, 10:33 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikevhl

I know it's a bit extreme to do, but it might help for you. Try installing ubuntu or wubi, then use sbf_flash on ubuntu. It takes some time, but if you REALLY need to SBF you should give it a try. Usage is:
chmod 777 sbf_flash
./sbf_flash /path/to/sbf/file

Thanks for your advice, I managed to flash the sbf under ubuntu Now at least I know the way to do it 100%-proof
21st April 2011, 01:21 PM |#9  
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 127

More
I did a "format system" in the CMW as I have recovered by this method?
21st April 2011, 01:58 PM |#10  
Flag São Paulo
Thanks Meter: 127

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenopapito

I did a "format system" in the CMW as I have recovered by this method?

YES IT WORKS!

But I had to hold CAMERA + VOL UP before plugging in the usb.
4th May 2011, 09:06 AM |#11  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Is there a way to restore to the factory default ROM, but still keep my SMS'es/Text messages?
I'm not sure if an MMS issue I'm having is related to the ROM I'm using (Argen2Stone) so want to put the official one back on, but keep all my recent SMS'es...(and preferably all installed apps, etc etc., but SMS'es most important).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)