FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Honeycomb may be coming for Gtablet

80 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By cd112, Member on 13th April 2011, 05:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey All,

I just got off the phone with VS support ((310) 228-4000) and i was informed that they had a big meeting with the techs and Nvidia yesterday about honeycomb for Gtablet. The rep said that it is coming but not sure what the date is. So that is some good news. I am suppose to get a call back from her either today or tomorrow with a def answer about honeycomb. Also the update servers are going online today or tomorrow according to her and the latest update is 3588.

I also recieved and email from Nvidia and they are looking in to the issue as well.

this is Bruce's response:

Hi – we’re still looking into this, sorry for the delay.

13th April 2011, 05:09 PM |#2  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd112

Hey All,

I just got off the phone with VS support ((310) 228-4000) and i was informed that they had a big meeting with the techs and Nvidia yesterday about honeycomb for Gtablet. The rep said that it is coming but not sure what the date is. So that is some good news. I am suppose to get a call back from her either today or tomorrow with a def answer about honeycomb. Also the update servers are going online today or tomorrow according to her and the latest update is 3588.

I also recieved and email from Nvidia and they are looking in to the issue as well.

this is Bruce's response:

Hi – we’re still looking into this, sorry for the delay.

Sorry forget to add one thing.. If many people call in to this they might push the release date closer and may release it sooner.
13th April 2011, 05:22 PM |#3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd112

Sorry forget to add one thing.. If many people call in to this they might push the release date closer and may release it sooner.

Interesting, given that nVidia has stated they will not put Honeycomb on anything less than Ventana.
13th April 2011, 05:25 PM |#4  
Flag San Jose, California
Thanks Meter: 22

Donate to Me
More
While I appreciate your willingness to push this, I still don't see NV helping out. To VS the Gtab is dead, why do they care about pushing NV for HC?
13th April 2011, 05:28 PM |#5  
Flag Port Orange, FL
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Well, keep in mind. nVidia said they would not be officially supporting HC on Harmony. They then later said that it was up to the Manufacturer. If Viewsonic really told him GTablet will get Honeycomb, I wonder if this means that nVidia will be releasing the driver source to the OEMs to support as they see fit? It's also possible that the Ventana drivers will work on Honeycomb with some modifications, since it sounds like the only difference is in the ancillary components on the board, not the chip itself.

Cautiously optimistic. Until I see a ROM I'm not going to hold my breath.
13th April 2011, 05:31 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog

Interesting, given that nVidia has stated they will not put Honeycomb on anything less than Ventana.

Not sure.. It was a shocking news to me as well when the rep Her name is SUE told me that they had a big meeting yesterday about releasing honeycomb for Gtablet and she also mentioned that they were in conference calls with nvidia about it. She said that she doesn't have the full story but she took my number and name and said that if i cant get you this info by today one her engineers will call me tomorrow with the info.

Lets see what happens.
13th April 2011, 05:32 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeNinja

It's also possible that the Ventana drivers will work on Honeycomb with some modifications, since it sounds like the only difference is in the ancillary components on the board, not the chip itself.

+1. That was exactly my point in the "Look Ahead" thread.
13th April 2011, 05:43 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I called in just to ask if honeycomb was coming. hope it helps.
13th April 2011, 05:55 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4ph

I called in just to ask if honeycomb was coming. hope it helps.

What did they say to you if you don't mind sharing.
13th April 2011, 06:11 PM |#10  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeNinja

Well, keep in mind. nVidia said they would not be officially supporting HC on Harmony. They then later said that it was up to the Manufacturer. If Viewsonic really told him GTablet will get Honeycomb, I wonder if this means that nVidia will be releasing the driver source to the OEMs to support as they see fit? It's also possible that the Ventana drivers will work on Honeycomb with some modifications, since it sounds like the only difference is in the ancillary components on the board, not the chip itself.

Cautiously optimistic. Until I see a ROM I'm not going to hold my breath.

Has there not already been drivers written for Ventana/Honeycomb by nVidia? I guess there has been they just haven't been released to the wild yet?

I too am cautiously optimistic about this...
13th April 2011, 06:16 PM |#11  
Flag Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 1,410

More
I would not trust anything that their new CS department says, yet - I have my reasons for that. But I hope I am wrong.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roebeet For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift roebeet Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)