FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUTORIAL] Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY bootloader unlocking

1,360 posts
Thanks Meter: 530

By Mr_Bartek, Senior Member on 13th April 2011, 11:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Quick tutorial for unlocking new Xperia devices. Although there is one on the SE developer website, this thread can be used for users to discuss their problems during unlocking etc.

Warning! This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone.

1. Download:
-fastboot package: http://www.multiupload.com/BMJ24IL6XY
-x86/x64 drivers: http://www.multiupload.com/0XZV1LXRVA
2. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonyericsson.com/instructions
3. At the bottom click 'Continue' and enter your IMEI (type *#06# to find out), name and email address
4. You should now receive your unique unlock key
5. Extract fastboot.rar and open fastboot folder
6. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
7. Select 'Open command window here'
8. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold search button and plug in USB Cable)
9. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
10. If a value is returned, it means the phone is correctly connected
11. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key provided in step 4.
12. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mr_Bartek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr_Bartek Ad-Free

13th April 2011, 11:59 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
For any users on OS X rather than windows, Fastboot for OS X can be found developer.htc.com/google-io-device.html

"fastboot.exe" will need to be replaced with "fastboot-mac" in terminal

There is no need to download the SE driver mentioned on SE developer page.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird_Attwood For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Laird_Attwood Ad-Free
14th April 2011, 07:55 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
What will unlocking the bootloader do?
Its not root, is it?
14th April 2011, 09:02 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 530

Donate to Me
More
It will allow for the phone to be flashed with unsigned images. This basically means You get root (as long as somebody makes a firmware image with root access).
14th April 2011, 10:10 AM |#5  
Flag Stockholm
Thanks Meter: 17

More
If this is "basically root", does it means it allows for uninstalling stock apps if the bootloader is unlocked?
14th April 2011, 02:23 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlopp

If this is "basically root", does it means it allows for uninstalling stock apps if the bootloader is unlocked?

Nope. Just tried it, but dunno if you can use Titanium or sumthing similar to remove stock apps....
14th April 2011, 03:33 PM |#7  
Flag leicester
Thanks Meter: 64

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlopp

it isnt root it mearly enables the ability to get root via flashnig a new firmware and other means that are not yet available on our devices.

IT will take some development to get it working ive tried a few thigns but had no success yet, ive sent a pm to the flashtool creator to try to get him to include the play then we can dump and add root then flashback
15th April 2011, 01:35 AM |#8  
Flag Aberdeen

More
What are the chances of cyanogen mod coming to the PLAY? Hope it does!

Sent from my R800i using XDA Premium App
17th April 2011, 09:40 AM |#9  

More
All I get when doing this is "waiting for device" what am I doing wrong? Im using windows 7. Does usb debugging have to be enabled? Thanks

25th April 2011, 12:55 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by megajosh

All I get when doing this is "waiting for device" what am I doing wrong? Im using windows 7. Does usb debugging have to be enabled? Thanks

Device needs to be powered off, hold the search button when connecting it to USB cable. (blue light will come and stay on - power/sleep button)
27th April 2011, 10:06 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 149

More
This is weird, I have a Canadian xperia play but i can't press the search button to get a blue light. I can press the back button to get a green light but the drivers you provided doesn't work with this xperia play. I cant even connect to fastboot Mac or windows

EDIT: Is there anyway I can help, provide files and such? I did win this xperia play in a contest, so I do wanna know if i can unlock the bootloader.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)