FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Updated: 04/June/2011] [How-To] Create update.zip flashable via recovery

13,204 posts
Thanks Meter: 39,795

Post Reply Email Thread
Hey everyone just thought that this info might be useful to the this community...
this info is already available, though in parts, over XDA forums.. so i thought that i will try n make it easily available/understandable to all users here...

seems this info is useful to other android users too... so will try and post generic as well as X10 specific info...

WARNING:
  • I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE FILES THAT U CREATE USING THIS INFO
  • I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF U LOOSE UR DATA WHEN TRYING THIS OUT
  • REMEMBER THIS DEALS WITH SYSTEM MODIFICATIONS AND ANY WRONG COMMAND CAN RENDER UR CURRENT ROM UNUSABLE/BROKEN
  • SO BE SURE U CAN USE FLASHTOOL TO FLASH STOCK FW IF U END UP WITH UNUSABLE/BROKEN SYSTEM
  • DO NOT CIRCULATE THE UPDATE.ZIPs CREATED UNLESS U ARE CERTAIN THAT THEY WORK PROPERLY
  • ALSO DO NOT FLASH ANY RANDOM UPDATE.ZIP WHICH U DOWNLOAD UNLESS U CHECK OUT THE CODE WRITTEN IN THE UPDATE SCRIPT

now that i have scared u enough lets begin...

[BASICS]

there are two versions of update scripts (codes/syntax) which can be used:
  • Amend (update-script)
  • Edify (updater-script) [along with update-binary]

both of the above mentioned versions use different syntax...

both of these versions work on the recoveries currently available for x10 (xRecovery & FreeXperia Recovery)

ONLY EDIFY SYNTAX IS SUPPORTED BY xRecovery v1.0.0 (latest recovery for X10)

these files can be found in "\META-INF\com\google\android" of the zip package... depending on which file update-script OR updater-script is present in the update.zip u will understand which update scripts (codes/syntax) is to be used...

[SYNTAX | READING MATERIAL]

following are very useful guides which cover most of the available syntax...

[PROGRAM | APPLICATION]

now that u follow the differences lets get the program to make update.zips and sign them...

Update.zip 2.0 Modifier/Creator by Daneshm90
its a windows only tool and i personally use it regularly to make update.zips

read through that post as it is pretty straight forward on how the application works... there is even a video... and it even signs the zip...

this program basically handles (modifies/creates) only Amend (update-script) but u can just place ur modified updater-script (along with the update-binary) in <ROOT_DIR_OF_PROGRAM>\placehere\META-INF\com\google\android\
and execute update.bat to make the update.zip package.... this program automatically signs the zip so u wont have any errors while flashing...

[ EXAMPLES ]

Amend scripts (update-script)
list of functions that can be used in Edify scripts and explanations about them by nubecoder

[ CONVERTORS ]

update-script to edify script converter by Chumby_666 (a.k.a. aZuZu)
amend2edify script converter by nubecoder

[ADDITIONAL INFO]

i will keep adding more to this as and when i get time...

till then happy reading the links posted here...

also if u have any queries/doubts feel free to post them here...

[BEST OF LUCK]
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ View ]

19th April 2011, 07:31 AM |#2  
Flag Cyberjaya
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Usefull information. There is update zip for ubuntu?
The Following User Says Thank You to hymns For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hymns Ad-Free
19th April 2011, 08:31 AM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pune

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymns

Usefull information. There is update zip for ubuntu?

anantshri is working on Ubuntu Lucid CHROOT but the images are around 140 to 700 MB compressed and 3.5GB uncompressed... so as of now it doesnt make much sense to create update.zips for them... better option is to uncompress them on the PC and then place the extracted files on SDCARD (card reader/etc)...
19th April 2011, 01:26 PM |#4  
Flag mumbai
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Cool thats wonderful...
Hi Doomlord,

thats a wonderful work..i mean thats a perfect explanation of creating update.zips...
another alternative, which i use frequently to update apps in system forlder only is..
go to titanium back up options and create update.zip
now select this update.zip from mounted SD card and then open it with 7zip or any zip editor.
then replace system/app forlder ->app to any app u want to install in system..
save and close the file. and u r good to go...
just an alternative which i personally found easy...but nothing to take away from your awsum thread here..keep the good work..thanks..
19th April 2011, 01:35 PM |#5  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pune

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil_007

Hi Doomlord,

thats a wonderful work..i mean thats a perfect explanation of creating update.zips...
another alternative, which i use frequently to update apps in system forlder only is..
go to titanium back up options and create update.zip
now select this update.zip from mounted SD card and then open it with 7zip or any zip editor.
then replace system/app forlder ->app to any app u want to install in system..
save and close the file. and u r good to go...
just an alternative which i personally found easy...but nothing to take away from your awsum thread here..keep the good work..thanks..

ah thats a nice idea to do it on the device itself!

u can even add specific files which need to be placed on other partitions (SYSTEM / DATA / SDCARD) when flashing it from recovery... though u will have to edit update-script for the recovery to copy those files..
The Following User Says Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th April 2011, 09:32 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
Root Explorer:

1. Long press on folder you want to zip

2. Select Compress into .zip

3. Wham, Bam, thank you Ma'am!

Use META Wipe Data for flashing ROMS

Use META No Data Wipe for flashing Updates, themes, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip META-INF No Data Wipe.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.1 KB, 227 views)
File Type: zip META-INF Wipe Data.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.1 KB, 185 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister J For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mister J Ad-Free
19th April 2011, 10:41 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1,964

Donate to Me
More
Thank you mate. Great source of info as usual
20th April 2011, 12:32 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 101

More
thank you DooMLoRD for this great topic and for all your usffull comment around X10 dev forum .

but i have a qustion :

i am beginner in cooking roms but i want to ask you how to use FreeX10 Froyo by Z to built a full froyo rom ?

and what i can do with X10_2.2_Froyo_sources.tar.bz2

thanks alot
20th April 2011, 12:47 PM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Pune

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed radi

thank you DooMLoRD for this great topic and for all your usffull comment around X10 dev forum .

but i have a qustion :

i am beginner in cooking roms but i want to ask you how to use FreeX10 Froyo by Z to built a full froyo rom ?

and what i can do with X10_2.2_Froyo_sources.tar.bz2

thanks alot

hi! thank you!

i am sorry but even i dont know how to build a rom from sources... wht most chefs do is just mix files from various roms, using FreeX10 as base and then adding content from other roms (of other devices)
The Following User Says Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th April 2011, 01:03 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 101

More
thank you DooMLoRD

ok great , but i need to know what is the important files should copy from Freex10 to other roms ?

thanx man
EdgarCupari
24th April 2011, 01:05 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
have found a other methode for make a update.zip fast and easier!!
hi..
I have found a other methode for make a update.zip fast and easier!!

You can downloading a update.zip, whatever you want ... for example;
you downloaded update3.zip. open it with 7zip

in update3.zip> (you have 3 folders> data, META-INF, system)
is missing you as a path,
for example, because you want to update an audio fix .. can you just move the lib folder in System Folder.

if you want to update system apps, you can move the desired app in the System folder> app
framework-res> in system> framwork
the META-INF file from update3.zip should always be maintained.

It is important that you choose a update.zip,! Since the directories and systemlinks / already been set with the open-mentioned program are correct!

can not explain it better .. this method saves me a lot of time and is, I think the easiest way.

greeting edgar......
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)