FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

*ROOTED*Rooting acer a500

242 posts
Thanks Meter: 92

By colbur87, Senior Member on 22nd April 2011, 04:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've been in Chicago so sorry.

Iconia has been rooted,details in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=82
Credit goes to those posted in that thread.

*4-26*
Alright folks,

I got small news that ill update tomorrow with. I'm out of town and ill be back in the AM.

*4-25*
I've had a some time to mess around with this. So I don't think the root will come with the update.zip file. I have been unsuccessful with getting the tablet to run my modified update.zip file. Im guessing that honeycomb has a special digital signature but im no expert lol. So the root is going to have to come else where. I'm about 95% sure that I have a working su file but the task comes to copying it /system/bin and changing the permissions.

Also, when acer releases an update; it will shed some light on the image. If anyone has any ideas shoot me a PM because 2 brains are better then my one.

*Original post*
Ok first of all, the a500 def needs a dedicated forum. I think with the requests in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=998123 and the fact that the tablet is just coming out is good reason enough......

Ok, so I got mine yesterday and I just started tinkering with it today. It appears there is some type of bootloader to say the least. I don't think rooting will be difficult at all.

If you press the Volume up and Power button, the tablet apperas to look for a file called you guess it, update.zip! It then says "rebooting recovery image"

So I know this is not much progress, but im going to be working on making a root method...
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to colbur87 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift colbur87 Ad-Free

23rd April 2011, 03:53 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Great Mate let me know how you go....
The Following User Says Thank You to vjb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vjb Ad-Free
23rd April 2011, 07:42 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Good luck mate..

We really need the dedicated section so we can get things organized for this great tablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to anstelios For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anstelios Ad-Free
23rd April 2011, 09:42 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 151

Donate to Me
More
Anyone tried Z4Root or Androot? Might give it a go later on tonight.
23rd April 2011, 04:27 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz

Anyone tried Z4Root or Androot? Might give it a go later on tonight.

Or may be the Asus EEE Pad Transformer root file?

android.modaco.com / content / asus-eee-pad-transformer-transformer-modaco-com/337190/14-apr-how-to-root-your-asus-eee-pad-transformer/

(sorry for that link, but I'm not allowed to post external links...)
23rd April 2011, 06:39 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 92

More
z4 is for froyo. I think the key lies in the recovery image. I've been supper busy with the wife, I'm hoping I can sit down this weekend and mess with the image and file structure.
24th April 2011, 03:04 AM |#7  
Flag Coffs Harbour
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Im keen to start developing roms once someone gains root..

Can't wait for an a500 forum here
The Following User Says Thank You to SXTN For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SXTN Ad-Free
25th April 2011, 08:41 AM |#8  

More
Man this tablet is so great I can't wait for someone to root it! Being able to underclock it for reading and overclock it for games... Awsomeness Keep it going dude.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
25th April 2011, 12:41 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
tried power/up volumn - nothing
Hi,

I have had this for a week, we got them early in Australia, and happy with it, but would like to get root access so that I can apply some of the apps that require it.

I tried the power on/volumn up button on start and it only loaded as normal, so maybe they have something even more sinister here in Australia verison!

Hope you find the way in.

Also, this does need its own forum as it is a great little device and will have lots of action in the near future.
25th April 2011, 01:23 PM |#10  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyozguy

I tried the power on/volumn up button on start and it only loaded as normal, so maybe they have something even more sinister here in Australia verison!

The version I bought in Melbourne boots into recovery okay.
25th April 2011, 02:46 PM |#11  

More
I got the uk a500 it boots into recovery using volume up and power
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
acer iconia a500 root
Previous Thread Next Thread