[FIX] For wifi connection dropping too easily/often

4,750 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,297
 
By gtg465x, Inactive Recognized Developer on 26th April 2011, 05:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I don't even have this phone, but I'm tired of hearing you guys complain about your wifi dropping . HTC programmed the Desire S to drop wifi connections if the signal falls below -88db. I'm not sure why they did that because -88db is a perfectly usable signal. With this fix, your wifi connection won't drop until the signal falls below -108db.

You need to be running a custom deodexed ROM to apply this fix.

Flash through Clockwork Recovery.

Let me know if it works for you!


If you appreciate my work, donations of any amount are very much appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip saga_wifi_fix_1.28.401.1_v3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.03 MB, 1745 views)
File Type: zip saga_wifi_fix_1.35.1113.2_v3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.03 MB, 6567 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gtg465x For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gtg465x Ad-Free
27th April 2011, 12:06 AM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,297
 
More
Small update... noticed that I didn't set the permissions right on one of the files. May want to grab v2.

On another note, where is everyone? Dev community for this phone needs to wake up!
The Following User Says Thank You to gtg465x For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gtg465x Ad-Free
27th April 2011, 12:20 AM |#3  
loveboatcaptain's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 617
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg465x

Small update... noticed that I didn't set the permissions right on one of the files. May want to grab v2.

On another note, where is everyone? Dev community for this phone needs to wake up!


i´m here ;)

just downloading v2 and give it a go and a test...
i will report back as soon as i feel there is something happening after flashing ;)

thanks for this.... if this works, i can enjoy my wifi in the kitchen while drinking coffee ;)

regards and thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to loveboatcaptain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loveboatcaptain Ad-Free
27th April 2011, 02:40 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
We still can't use it, for the majority of Desire S user got an S-ON units.
27th April 2011, 02:46 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 61
 
More
Wink
For those who can't apply the above fix due to "S on" (pretty much everyone?) you can try the easier way which I've posted in another thread. Some people said it doesn't help but there's no harm in trying :)

there's a stock setting that can enable Desire S to hold Wi Fi connection a lot better. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi settings. Click menu button and choose Advanced. Second section from the top is "Best Wi-Fi performance" - tick it. That's it. It really made the difference for me. Dropped Wi Fi signal was a frequent thing with my Desire S but ever since I've ticked this option (~1 week ago) I haven't had such problem at all.
27th April 2011, 03:28 AM |#6  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,297
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbish

For those who can't apply the above fix due to "S on" (pretty much everyone?) you can try the easier way which I've posted in another thread. Some people said it doesn't help but there's no harm in trying :)

there's a stock setting that can enable Desire S to hold Wi Fi connection a lot better. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi settings. Click menu button and choose Advanced. Second section from the top is "Best Wi-Fi performance" - tick it. That's it. It really made the difference for me. Dropped Wi Fi signal was a frequent thing with my Desire S but ever since I've ticked this option (~1 week ago) I haven't had such problem at all.

Just so people know, doing this does NOT have the same effect as applying my fix. That might help you a little in the mean time until you get S-OFF, but my fix should completely fix the issue.
27th April 2011, 03:32 AM |#7  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,297
 
More
Also, why does loveboatcaptain appear to have S-OFF and the rest of you can't?
27th April 2011, 06:03 AM |#8  
Member
Flag Riyadh
Thanks Meter: 8
 
More
^^^^^^^^^
He might used xtc clip to turn it from s-on to s-off
this is the only way to do this until a dev figur some
software way to do this
27th April 2011, 06:29 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Leende
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Unhappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by abo.saud

^^^^^^^^^
He might used xtc clip to turn it from s-on to s-off
this is the only way to do this until a dev figur some
software way to do this

Yes, true, and the xtc-clip is pretty expensive too, so most of us have to wait for a software method to get s-off, and then we can root and install clockworkmod i believe.
27th April 2011, 08:54 AM |#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38
 
More
Unless you knew someone or somewhere who can make it to S-OFF, cause the xtc clip is expensive.
27th April 2011, 05:23 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 52
 
More
Why there are two files to dowload? What's the difference?

Anyway: thanks for the fix

Now there would be a reason to flash the deodexed ROM from loveboat

As there are few devices sold and there is only one cook but no "hardcore-devs" (no offense to loveboatc.) for kerneltweaks or S-off there is not much life here..

Mine is S-off since SIMunlock - but done by a company for money (EUR 20,-)

But the stock-htc-2.3.3 is really great (very good battery, very stable,...) - so better than CM7 on my NexuS :/ I only needed root for deleting the htc-ads.app (navigation, amazon,...) and for adblocker,..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
development

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes