FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Ubuntu an A500

21 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By jibweb, Junior Member on 29th April 2011, 05:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello!
I just came here to say that I cannot get mount my A500 on ubuntu ! Is it the same for you? How can I fix the issue?

(by the way, congratulations for rooting the tablet !!)

Thanks!

29th April 2011, 06:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Same here, I found the windows USB drivers on Acer's site but linux drivers were MIA...
29th April 2011, 06:50 PM |#3  

More
The Iconia A500 uses MTP not mass storage (in fact I believe this is a function of honeycomb as the same applies for the Xoom). There are drivers for Windows and OSX to allow access but on Linux it is a lot harder.
I did find a site detailing how to get things working on a Xoom and used this information (modified for the A500) to get access once but since then I have not been able to get it to work at all (this is on Ubuntu 11.04 when the instructions detailed how to get it to work in 10.10).

Also Banshee is supposed to support MTP but again I have not been able to get the A500 to work with this (I have yet to really look into this though).
1st May 2011, 12:13 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
sux i also use linux. using ftp or actually putting a sd card in every time, its very annoying
1st May 2011, 06:40 PM |#5  
Flag Unfortunately, Mexico
Thanks Meter: 95

More
They really should leave an option to enable "mass storage" as a method of exporting the internal flash memory. Not everyone wants what these companies think is best.
8th May 2011, 04:43 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
still no solution?

I tried to adapt the method for the Xoom but it didn't work either !! :'(
8th May 2011, 06:12 PM |#7  
Flag Unfortunately, Mexico
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibweb

still no solution?

I tried to adapt the method for the Xoom but it didn't work either !! :'(

Apparently not. They stand on FOSS' shoulders, then crap on our with the added height.
8th May 2011, 07:10 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I use adb to move stuff to my sdcard. Its quicker for me to use command line than a gui.

I already have adb installed and working for my phone so it just made sense for me.
8th May 2011, 09:26 PM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
doesn't you need driver to get the Acer A500 work properly?
I've already download the Android SDK but the only driver available is made for Windows
8th May 2011, 09:42 PM |#10  
Flag Somerville, MA
Thanks Meter: 1

More
As folks have pointed out, the A500 does not have USB mounting support (yet) but does seem to have support for MTP. I found details on how to mount the Xoom onto Ubuntu Linux here. I have to assume these are the instructions that everyone is talking about above.

I am running 64 bit Ubuntu 10.10 (I unfortunately heard far too many dangerous things about 11.04 and it has become the only Ubuntu release I've not upgraded to). This instructions, modified for the Iconia A500, have worked for me. I've mounted and unmounted the device several times now.

I made some changes to the instructions. First my file is called /etc/udev/rules.d/51-honeycomb.rules. The entire file for me is:

ATTRS{idVendor}=="0502", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3341", ENV{ID_GPHOTO2}="1", ENV{GPHOTO2_DRIVER}="proprietary", ENV{ID_MEDIA_PLAYER}="1", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", MODE="0664", GROUP="audio"

I've made my mount point /media/iconia.

At this point I've not put the structure in fstab, but am mounting and unmounting manually with the commands:

mtpfs /media/xoom -o allow_other

and

fusermount -u /media/iconia

but, again, this is working for me.

My only question would be this: this gives me access to /mnt/sdcard on the Iconia tablet. How might I get access to /mnt/external_sd ?
-----
Doc Kinne
Somerville, MA
9th May 2011, 06:53 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Well congratulations then !! I'il try with your config file, should be way better than mine

But i'm on 11.04 (and i have to say that i had problems at the beginning but i booted on a live cd and i was able to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.04 (wtf?!?) and it solves everything )
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)