FORUMS

Milestone 2 keyboard double-pressing - fix!

58 posts
Thanks Meter: 15

By aithnea, Member on 1st May 2011, 08:21 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Has anyone encountered problems with the hardware keyboard on their Milestone 2 randomly entering two characters on a single stroke?

It happens at least once on nearly every sentence with mine, totally at random. I'm reasonably sure I don't suffer from any type of palsy. It's driving me batty.

UPDATE: stargo saves the day here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=44

stargo's Milestone2 Debounce:

Release version

Updated version
"If anyone with non-working keys or still bouncing keys feels adventurous, I've now additionally enabled the hardware-debouncing feature of the OMAP processor on the input-pins of the keyboard matrix."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aithnea For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aithnea Ad-Free
1st May 2011, 08:49 AM |#2  
Flag Belfast
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aithnea

Has anyone encountered problems with the hardware keyboard on their Milestone 2 randomly entering two characters on a single stroke?

It happens at least once on nearly every sentence with mine, totally at random. I'm reasonably sure I don't suffer from any type of palsy. It's driving me batty.

Im quite sure the keys might need servicing. Its a problem that plagues many qwerty phones. I experienced it on my xperia x1 after 1.5 years of usage. Touch-wood no issues on my MS2 thus far.

Sent from my MotoA953 using XDA App
1st May 2011, 03:15 PM |#3  
Flag Botucatu-SP
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I had this problem, after the Argen2Stone it dissapear

Sorry about my very poor English

Sent from my A953
1st May 2011, 03:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
I'm not sure what to think about the keyboard issue. On my xperia x1 the problem was obviously hardware wise but is it software wise on the Milestone 2?
Might be since I start every google search on my phone with a double letter while not having such problems in a started text...it seems like some sort of software lag causes this problem...

Can you guys confirm? What do you think?

Sent from my MotoA953 using XDA App
1st May 2011, 04:01 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 67

More
I do recognize this issue. I think it's a software issue, because sometimes a letter is repeated about 4 or 5 times, while I truly pressed the button once.
Other times I don't have any issues at all. But then again, I didn't hear or read anything about it, so I'll see. I'm not going to send it back to a repair center because I know how that works out.
1st May 2011, 04:20 PM |#6  
Flag Belfast

More
i would dare say its nt some kind of software issue or bug. and its quite impossible for it to be a lag on a phone with a 1GHz chip and 512MB RAM. besides, i haven't really heard anybody else have the issue as you do.

i genuinely do believe its nothing more than a faulty button/buttons. i know the X1 suffered from this. so did the HTC Touch Pro, and the Touch Pro 2. it wont hurt anyway to take it back to the dealer/factory to have it checked up. you are entitled to a warranty and have every right to claim for it.
2nd May 2011, 05:45 PM |#7  
Flag Koblenz

More
I can't believe nobody @ Motorola noticed that bug. In the first year of studying we learned how to debounce buttons.
2nd May 2011, 05:53 PM |#8  
Flag Belfast

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUKE7777777

I can't believe nobody @ Motorola noticed that bug. In the first year of studying we learned how to debounce buttons.

kindly explain what 'debouncing buttons' means please?

also i hardly doubt its a bug. i think its a problem with the keyboard itself, as is the problem with many phones with a physical QWERTY
2nd May 2011, 06:04 PM |#9  
Flag Koblenz

More
Ok, I'll try to explain. Imagine a button with a long distance from "not pressed" to "pressed", like an old Keyboard for example.

Now imagine pressing a button in slow motion. If the metal connectors of the button and the one below the button slowly approach each other, there are moments when the connectors almost "meet" and current flows. One nanosecond later the current isn't there anymore and another nanosecond later its there again. This process continues until youve fully pressed the button down.

But you don't want the letter do appear twice or more! So you've got to make sure that only one letter appears by telling the device, to only print 1 letter in the time, a normal user needs to press a key fully down.

LoL, i hope you can understand what I meant, I can't explain it that good in english
The Following User Says Thank You to RDUKE7777777 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RDUKE7777777 Ad-Free
2nd May 2011, 07:38 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
I understood your explanation, thank-you. I'm still going with soft-ware issues, though.

I encounter this problem every single time I type in the first letter of the first word in the google search. This can't be an accident.

Quote: and its quite impossible for it to be a lag on a phone with a 1GHz chip and 512MB RAM

Well, it is possible that a program (in my case the native internet explorer) lags. Also little lags in other programs may occur, when the load something for a millisecond. It may as well be both, hardware and software...
2nd May 2011, 08:12 PM |#11  
Flag Koblenz

More
I encounter the Problem everytime i use the Keypad. My understanding of the problem as a debouncing-mistake makes me think of general software issue - on the other hand the problem is more frequent (but not exclusive) with letters on the right half of the keyboard , what seems like a hardware Problem.

I think there are variances in the keyboard assembly, so that the software debouncing works for some keyboards (and/or some regions of the keyboard) and for some it doesnt. So its basically a hardware Problem which could be solved by software tweaking.

Well, lets see what Motorola comes up with in the next update.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)