FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Just fixed a water damaged phone by bathing it in Isorpopyl Alcohol...

56 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By NorskeDivision, Member on 1st May 2011, 10:55 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just for the record, I'm not sure if this will consistently work but I thought it good to put this on record for anyone else who is at wits end with a water damaged cellphone. I dropped my phone in a river and it stopped working (Touch Pro 2). Well, actually it went in well I was swimming and forgot it was in my pocket.

I let it dry off with a hair dryer, but it was still squirrelly with the input. It would repeat certain characters. Also it would not charge from USB. It was basically unusable so I figured I would try soaking the main board in Isopropyl Alcohol (perhaps remove whatever it is that is shorting out the mainboard). I let the mainboard (without the screen) soak overnight in a sealed tupperware container (so the Alcohol wouldn't evaporate). Then I took it out to let all the Alcohol evaporate. Put it all back together a few hours ago and, violla, it works perfectly. No repeated inputs, no other problems.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NorskeDivision For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NorskeDivision Ad-Free

1st May 2011, 11:04 AM |#2  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 626

More
Wow, That was lucky, Congrats
1st May 2011, 03:05 PM |#3  
Forum Moderator
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 5,368

Donate to Me
More
Congrats......

I posted about this last year about water infiltration incidents. It generally goes as follows:

If you drop your phone into water, fruit punch,toilet, etc. First thing to do---

1. Remove battery immediately

2. Open up as much as possible daub dry excess water

3. Submerged in Alcohol (200 proof drinking alcohol is best), Isopropyl or denatured works almost as good. leave 1-2 hours (the alcohol binds to the H20 and prevents the H2O from corroding the metal or electronics)

4. Dry with hair dryer

5. Put in desiccant (enough to submerge) or rice, or millet etc. and leave over night

Hair dry to blow any excess dust.... reassemble and you are done. If it did get water damage that renders the phone unusable then, use white out and white out the water strip back to white and go for replacement.

This method I have used for treating flooding on my underwater cameras for 20+ years and I have been successful 98% of time

Once again, congrats
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oka1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oka1 Ad-Free
1st May 2011, 03:33 PM |#4  
Flag Hobart
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Very interesting. I've also heard of putting in the fridge as it draws out all moisture?

Sent from Odin on my HTC desire
1st May 2011, 05:08 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
just fix a water damaged phone by changing the battery
1st May 2011, 05:13 PM |#6  

More
it was a black berry phone soaked in water
1st May 2011, 06:03 PM |#7  

More
Always wondered about that.
1st May 2011, 06:05 PM |#8  
Flag Valkenswaard

More
Thanks for the tips! I will keep it in mind, though the best way that's working for me right now is paying attention :P
1st May 2011, 08:33 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 189

More
Nice one, i shall try this on my damaged nokia =D
1st May 2011, 08:58 PM |#10  

More
I can relate. I once jumped in the mediterranean with my phone in my pocket.
The SE k750i was a good phone...
2nd May 2011, 08:21 AM |#11  
Flag Sherbrooke
Thanks Meter: 2

More
First time I hear about this
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)