By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 1st May 2011, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th September 2014, 09:09 PM |#8441  
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 40

Donate to Me
More
Hi mike!
Here's a little more info on the HTC one max thing.. I'm not sure what it means personally, but at least he's trying.
CM 11 seems to be using/looking for V4L2?

[quote name="Flyhalf205" post=55464346]The modules are built into the kernel making them already active. I probably need to take a look at the version of the radio-iris driver.

[/QUOTE]

Here is the two things in your log that confuses me that the other guys are saying.

Quote:

D/fm_hrdw ( 7986): v4_get VIDIOC_QUERYCAP ret: 0 cap: 0x50000 drv: radio-iris card: Qualcomm FM Radio Transceiver bus: ver: 0x0
D/fm_hrdw ( 7986): api_mode_get via V4L / Qualcomm Tavarua driver

But it is loading the module inside the kernel. https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...dio-iris.c#L15
The Following User Says Thank You to wyvernwaddell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wyvernwaddell Ad-Free

15th September 2014, 10:27 PM |#8442  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,164

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvernwaddell

Hi mike!
Here's a little more info on the HTC one max thing.. I'm not sure what it means personally, but at least he's trying.
CM 11 seems to be using/looking for V4L2?

"The modules are built into the kernel making them already active. I probably need to take a look at the version of the radio-iris driver.

"

Here is the two things in your log that confuses me that the other guys are saying.

But it is loading the module inside the kernel. https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...dio-iris.c#L15

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=428
15th September 2014, 11:54 PM |#8443  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

HTC one max

For future reference about this common radio-iris-transport problem, I copied my post from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=429

Re: FM drivers:

I see relevant commit messages here: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...rs/media/radio

I'm guessing that this m8_defconfig file is not used: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andro...s/m8_defconfig

Because it specifies a module for radio-iris-transport. But it shows the important requirements without the committed fixes:

Code:
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_RADIO_IRIS=y
CONFIG_RADIO_IRIS_TRANSPORT=m
16th September 2014, 04:57 AM |#8444  
Flag Jacksonville, FL
Thanks Meter: 40

Donate to Me
More
Spirit one and spirit 2 now can work with the htc one Max t6ul. Flyhalf205 built a test kernel tonight that let it work perfectly! Yay!! I'm expecting whatever he did to make it into the cm11 commits soon ( hopefully)!
16th September 2014, 05:58 AM |#8445  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
I'm not crazy about the new update to Spirit xmit. It has to be force closed to turn off, for one, which I can't imagine is expected behavior. My main gripe is the turning off headphone output bit, though. I prefer the old way, as i like to just turn on xmit with earbuds in, then take them out and be at the exact same spot in the song. The fact that it kills earbud output without pausing means it's skipping part of the song.

Both are just minor niggles, and I can (and have) just go back to xmit 1, but I feel like it at least bears mentioning.
16th September 2014, 08:48 AM |#8446  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Spirit one and spirit 2 now can work with the htc one Max t6ul. Flyhalf205 built a test kernel tonight that let it work perfectly! Yay!! I'm expecting whatever he did to make it into the cm11 commits soon ( hopefully)!

Good.

Those of us w/ HTC OneX's, OneS's, etc. would be happy to see FM work on CM kernels again.
16th September 2014, 08:54 AM |#8447  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoscheiTheDeathless

I'm not crazy about the new update to Spirit xmit. It has to be force closed to turn off, for one, which I can't imagine is expected behavior.

No it's not. I'm not noticing this on my Z or Z1, both with stock rooted Kitkat.

What device and ROM/version ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoscheiTheDeathless

My main gripe is the turning off headphone output bit, though. I prefer the old way, as i like to just turn on xmit with earbuds in, then take them out and be at the exact same spot in the song. The fact that it kills earbud output without pausing means it's skipping part of the song.

Both are just minor niggles, and I can (and have) just go back to xmit 1, but I feel like it at least bears mentioning.

I'm always happy to get feedback. If it makes sense, I'll make things configurable.

I left wired headset audio on for version 1, for testing as much as anything. But some people have preferred it be off, and that worked better for me too, so the only audio would come from the receiver. Best transmit results come from maximised volume, and that can be annoying coming out of an earphone.

I'm not sure what you mean about taking the earbuds out; out of your ear or unplugging them ? And I don't understand why it would be skipping part of the song.
17th September 2014, 07:33 AM |#8448  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
A little trick to increase the volume for Spirit transmit when it's already at the maximum : Go to Settings > Sound > Sound effect, and enable dynamic normaliser. All your songs will then have the same volume which is usually higher than the default maximum volume.

Is it possible that the PS shows the title of the song and the album ? Many car sysstems doesn't have RT and I don't find having just the song duration to be very usefull... Maybe it's not possible because you have to make it scrollable...
17th September 2014, 09:49 AM |#8449  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess78

A little trick to increase the volume for Spirit transmit when it's already at the maximum : Go to Settings > Sound > Sound effect, and enable dynamic normaliser. All your songs will then have the same volume which is usually higher than the default maximum volume.

That's exactly what TV & Radio stations, and CD producers do as part of the "Loudness Wars".

So EQ is applied then... I haven't even tested that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kess78

Is it possible that the PS shows the title of the song and the album ? Many car sysstems doesn't have RT and I don't find having just the song duration to be very usefull... Maybe it's not possible because you have to make it scrollable...

Anything is possible.

Here in North America, the most common use for PS is scrolled RT, although it's SUPPOSED to be non-distracting for car drivers according to the RBDS spec. My Prius only shows info when car is stopped.

The Qualcomm chip and the API even support scrolling, so it shouldn't be very hard.

But for now I'm back to Spirit2; there's a lot of work to do for Android L, which seems imminent.
17th September 2014, 09:57 AM |#8450  

Donate to Me
More
Android L / 5.0 / LMP:

I've started the work on Spirit2 to deal with the imminent Android L release.

Access to the FM device and audio drivers will have to be done from a daemon process running with SU/root privilege.

The Spirit2 code was setup to do these things from the app process, using chmod to change device permissions. But this doesn't work with the more secure SELinux setup.

FM device daemon looks good, and will help me remove a few dead layers devoted to the now "old" (especially on Z2 and maybe Z3+) Sony/STE proposed Android FM API.

Audio, OTOH could be tricky. A daemon doesn't have easy access to Android APIs for sound output.

I'm considering a new approach that reads from the "microphone" as far as Android knows. (But under the cover is secretly switched to an FM input). This might actually help to resolve Google Now problems and GT-I9000 chipmunk issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
17th September 2014, 10:06 AM |#8451  

Donate to Me
More
Android One kernel source for the Mediatek devices is released and has a lot of code for various Mediatek chips. FM drivers for Mediatek are here: https://android.googlesource.com/ker...iatek/fmradio/

I still have no plans at this time to support Mediatek, simply because I don't think it's an efficient use of my time; I might make literally a few extra sales and at the same time make millions of Chinese "non-customers" happy, and sending me 10+ times as many debug logs, LOL. And I'd need many devices and a few years to support properly anyway.

Then again, they might just run the Google FM app.

I haven't seen the Google FM app yet. It might work ONLY on the Android One Mediatek devices. It might be open sourced, or maybe it won't be, like GMail, Play, etc.

It's interesting because this would be the first Google Android FM app. But I think it will be limited to Android One in a few countries, just like SDCard, dual SIM and removable batteries.

Hmm, since an SDCard is needed to "download content" and since some people may not buy one, or may have limited space, it seems to me that the FM app would be even more important as a source of music.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)