Thanks Meter: 4,164

By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 1st May 2011, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st October 2014, 01:26 AM |#8531  
Flag Mexico City
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Wink Potential Market in Mexico
Hi I've just stumble on your app. I think that your app would be well appreciated in Mexico that I think has a big market with Samsnug. At least those are the one I prefer. Mine in particular is the model SGH-I337M (GS4) from the major carrier Telcel though I have it rooted and the stock from Bell Canada. The people I know either with the GS5 or GS4 miss the Radio tuner. If you think it an opportunity please let me know to spread the news.

Best Regards,

Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Post 6000.

Samsung, Motorola and LG all seem to be removing or disabling FM on recent high end / flagship devices.

The ST-Ericsson proposed Android FM API continues to go nowhere after more than 2 years, and ST-Ericsson seems to be imploding.

And the much bally-hooed Sprint deal with US broadcasters to enable FM on 30 million smartphones in the US doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast either.

Someone such as myself, whose only income is from an OTA FM app, has got to wonder if the writing is on the wall.

Even if lower end phones still have FM, logic and experience dictate that high end phone owners are MUCH more likely to buy apps such as Spirit.

I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 year of life left in Spirit. As time goes on, more and more GS1, GS2, GS3 etc. owners will be installing custom ROMs, so there's a long tail effect I think.

But I have to keep my eyes open to what's going on, and consider what other or related app areas I might need to eventually transition to. Audio related makes sense.

At least 1 more year of life means that I'll have good time to get the bugs out of digital audio modes, and there are still many new features to come.

Since I'm not getting a GS4 this year, I'm considering an Xperia Z or HTC One or similar. The former is getting an AOSP, but Sony might abandon that after a year like they did for Xperia S.

HTC One seems to me better and will sell better, despite some issues with bootloader locks and less info from HTC. I see many more threads for HTC One than Xperia Z.

Strange thing though is that I've had very few queries about either phone yet, despite a few sales.

FreeXperia, the "CM variant" for Sony devices, has a working open source FM app; the first and only CM FM app since the GB days. So, I expect few sales on Sony's.

Maybe I won't even get a new phone this year. If I do it will likely be the HTC One, or a similar device, like the lesser M4.

But, if Spirit works reasonably well on the HTC One without me getting one, and/or if demand is low enough, I may not get a One or any phone at all this year.

In a way it will be nice to concentrate on the very popular phones I already have, instead of constantly having to reverse engineer and make fixes for new devices.

21st October 2014, 10:19 AM |#8532  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeOC

Hi I've just stumble on your app. I think that your app would be well appreciated in Mexico that I think has a big market with Samsnug. At least those are the one I prefer. Mine in particular is the model SGH-I337M (GS4) from the major carrier Telcel though I have it rooted and the stock from Bell Canada. The people I know either with the GS5 or GS4 miss the Radio tuner. If you think it an opportunity please let me know to spread the news.

Best Regards,

Jorge

Samsung disabled FM on GS4 and GS5.
21st October 2014, 05:00 PM |#8533  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
the last known status for the oneplusone still is that we don't know until a patched kernel is available,isn't it?
21st October 2014, 05:01 PM |#8534  
Flag ....
Thanks Meter: 10,946

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by selemine

the last known status for the oneplusone still is that we don't know until a patched kernel is available,isn't it?

Tried with patched kernel and no good news.

21st October 2014, 08:32 PM |#8535  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesoni_ash

Tried with patched kernel and no good news.

The last I recall is that nobody had a kernel that properly loads the FM driver radio-iris-transport.

A conclusive result would be Spirit APPEARING to fully work with no startup or running errors, but with negative or zero RSSI and no noticable audio.

But I get very weary of typing the same explanations over and over again, and I'm about ready to just say "No, it doesn't work".
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
22nd October 2014, 07:22 PM |#8536  
Flag Slovakia
Thanks Meter: 97

More
@mikereidis I tried V1 on Xperia Z1 Compact, but after some time It ended in soft-restart. And after that, everytime when i start the app, it ends in soft-restart. I have to reset settings to default/reinstall the app few times and then it's start working again but again only for some time. I don't know where is the problem and maybe it is fixed in V2, but that i simply can not try
23rd October 2014, 07:19 PM |#8537  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by play3man

@mikereidis I tried V1 on Xperia Z1 Compact, but after some time It ended in soft-restart. And after that, everytime when i start the app, it ends in soft-restart. I have to reset settings to default/reinstall the app few times and then it's start working again but again only for some time. I don't know where is the problem and maybe it is fixed in V2, but that i simply can not try

If you're a customer, please email me [email protected] .

Include info on ROM: stock or custom, and rooted status.
23rd October 2014, 07:33 PM |#8538  
Flag Slovakia
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Stock ROM Android 4.4.4 rooted but with locked bootloader.
23rd October 2014, 09:55 PM |#8539  
MTL
Thanks Meter: 205

More
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm blind or not, but do you have a list of recent phones with fm radio fm capable?

in north america it's just IMPOSSIBLE to find those 3 criteria together:

- Removable battery
- Fm radio
- sd card

most of the phone has 1or2 of there features, but never all 3.
Right now I'm using the desire Z, which is the most complete phone of all, but a bit old.

ps : gatineau ottawa isn't a french place? there's not much canadian on this board.
24th October 2014, 03:33 AM |#8540  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Montréal
Thanks Meter: 7,330

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE.

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm blind or not, but do you have a list of recent phones with fm radio fm capable?

in north america it's just IMPOSSIBLE to find those 3 criteria together:

- Removable battery
- Fm radio
- sd card

most of the phone has 1or2 of there features, but never all 3.
Right now I'm using the desire Z, which is the most complete phone of all, but a bit old.

ps : gatineau ottawa isn't a french place? there's not much canadian on this board.

The only *recent * device that had the 3 was the galaxy s3 and even then.... Right now, it's mostly the Sony and htc devices that has them but only 2 out of 3( the battery being the main feature missing)

And indeed there's not much canadian in XDA, we need more solidarity. XD

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to zaclimon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zaclimon Ad-Free
24th October 2014, 01:12 PM |#8541  
MTL
Thanks Meter: 205

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaclimon

The only *recent * device that had the 3 was the galaxy s3 and even then.... Right now, it's mostly the Sony and htc devices that has them but only 2 out of 3( the battery being the main feature missing)

And indeed there's not much canadian in XDA, we need more solidarity. XD

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

first one I saw from montreal

Damn, I'm using collective transpport to get to work, and the hdspa doesn't work everywhere. Even if I have a lot of data ( shared with the work), it's not enough.
And if I'm out of the country, the roaming fees are way too crazy.

I don't really get this. I bought the LG Optimus G pro, which should have a fm radio on gsmarena, but it appears that it was a mistake. Only European version got the FM, for the same phone...

the bb passport got the fm, but it's the first bb phone with no-removable battery.

and the s3 fm doesn't on 747m.

The most interesting feature is surely the removable battery. I never let my phone on the table waiting for the charge, I'm poping a battery out of the charger and go. Really useful when I'm stuck at work for long hours and can't miss a call /email /txt.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)