Spirit1, Spirit2 Real FM Radio General Thread

7,827 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,164

By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 1st May 2011, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th December 2014, 05:11 PM |#8711  
Thanks Meter: 88

More
So um does this work on the new Nexus 6 with L 5.0? The Google Apps Store says its compatible but I can't find any mention of this working on the N6.

Oh nevermind, I just saw the thread where you said Moto doesn't enable FM. Damn......

Nice looking app too!

10th December 2014, 02:11 AM |#8712  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoggy

So um does this work on the new Nexus 6 with L 5.0? The Google Apps Store says its compatible but I can't find any mention of this working on the N6.

Oh nevermind, I just saw the thread where you said Moto doesn't enable FM. Damn......

Nice looking app too!

I don't think there is any official confirmation yet. But it is EXTREMELY unlikely that Google did anything different this time.

There has never been a Nexus that officially supported FM, and I doubt there ever will be. (And Android One does not equal Nexus).

The original Nexus One was a slightly reworked HTC Desire and the FM antenna connection was left active. But it requires a custom kernel and root to get the audio part working.

I tested my Nexus Player and Nexus 9 and neither are capable of FM. (Nor either of my Nexus 7's of course.)

Basically, somebody needs to run Spirit1 on a rooted device with a kernel supporting the FM driver and send me a debug log. Spirit1 should APPEAR to work, but RSSI will be negative or around 0.

Google Play is pretty clueless about app compatibility. AFAIK, there is no Google blessed "FM Radio" attribute that I could specify as a requirement in Spirit, and there likely never will be one. (I should check Android One FM app to be sure, but there is no such documentation AFAICT last I looked.)

So for the most part, I can only go into Google Play developer console, decode the MANY thousands of code names for devices, and manually one by one disable the ones I know do not work. I'm sure I spent at least 50-100 hours trying to do this for Spirit1/Unlocked as well as Spirit1/Light. Some popular phones, like GS4/GS5 etc have dozens of different code names, and there is no secret decoder to figure out which might have FM and which don't.

There appears to be no way to only specify that Spirit1 or Spirit2 ONLY work on these 20 or 100 different phones. Disabling an app on a given device variant is a negative option. Google does this on purpose IMO because they make more money this way, and don't have to worry about it making them look bad, only the dev looks bad and has to deal with support, refunds and bad reviews.

I'd be happy just to have a "Needs SU" attribute for Android apps on Play, but Google will never support that either it appears.

I abandoned this as "silly work" and decided my customers would be better off if I spent that time developing. This is one reason there are many Spirit2 Play reviews that are rather bad*, because I did not do this for Spirit2, and because there are so many people who prefer to post reviews calling me a thief instead of emailing me for an order cancel, even after a popup message saying "Not compatible please email for refund". And too many people do not read app descriptions, though I do understand not everybody knows English.

*Spirit2 Play reviews that are rather bad: I wasn't reading reviews for a few years, for various reasons. I just went through all 80 or so for Spirit2 asking people with incapable devices to email me for a refund.

*Maybe I should at least disable popular devices, like GS4/GS5. I am surprised at the number of Spirit2 sales on these. And I hate to say it, but disabling them means my income gets even smaller than it is already. And some people are OK with supporting me with an app sale despite that their current phone can never support FM.
10th December 2014, 03:50 AM |#8713  
Thanks Meter: 199

More
Don't worry for incompatible devices review. They are as good as "Nothing". You can make sure Google displays " This app is incompatible with the device " for non compliant ones.

I also saw a mod to enable FM for non supported device here in XDA with some band enablement. You can redirect those users if required. You will be always supported for the good work you have done. Keep it going come up with another masterpiece to set the momentum going.

Sent from Moto God. Press THANKS if useful.
10th December 2014, 11:47 AM |#8714  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
@mikereidis: Can you make an updated Free version?
Now only the paid version works on G300 with CM11. (maybe there are new drivers in the newer version)
10th December 2014, 08:48 PM |#8715  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Okay, maybe it's just the Xperia L that uses external.

Does this work then ? : http://devhost.xda-developers.com/dmJ

The link is down could you please re-upload or send it in some other way please, because I am facing the same problem with my xperia L, please, please
10th December 2014, 09:12 PM |#8716  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhen84

@mikereidis: Can you make an updated Free version?
Now only the paid version works on G300 with CM11. (maybe there are new drivers in the newer version)

I updated Spirit1 Light on December 4 and made it free: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=8695

There is also now a free and open source Spirit2 "Light" now, for Spirit2 supported devices only of course: http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps...radio-t2951455
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
10th December 2014, 09:16 PM |#8717  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_72gr

The link is down could you please re-upload or send it in some other way please, because I am facing the same problem with my xperia L, please, please

I remove old versions from time to time when there are newer versions.

See the post right above this one for links to the latest free versions of Spirit1 and Spirit2.

The more functional versions on Play are pretty much matched with these free versions, except that the free and open source Spirit2 "Light" is the new Lollipop re-design, instead of the still more compatible Kitkat release only on Play.
10th December 2014, 09:38 PM |#8718  

More
Deleted
11th December 2014, 05:02 AM |#8719  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

I remove old versions from time to time when there are newer versions.

See the post right above this one for links to the latest free versions of Spirit1 and Spirit2.

The more functional versions on Play are pretty much matched with these free versions, except that the free and open source Spirit2 "Light" is the new Lollipop re-design, instead of the still more compatible Kitkat release only on Play.

Thanks for answering so fast. I need to understand what is going on. I have an xperia L with the cm12 lollipop made for it by varum. Beta 1 version played spirit2 like a charm. But after beta 2 version it goes not work any more. I have tried everythink, is it a rom problem or something else. I really like how my phone works with the newer Rom but I need the radio because I commute to work and I need the company. Can you help?
11th December 2014, 10:57 AM |#8720  
Flag Thessaloniki
Thanks Meter: 299

More
@MikeReides ,i have installed the spirit2 app on my g2 ,but when im opening it bt collapses and i must reboot the phone to make it work again.what are the steps to hear radio through my bt headset man?tnx
11th December 2014, 12:45 PM |#8721  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Finally s5 all versions except sprint onr wont have fm tuner / software?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)