FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

AR DRONE on HTC DESIRE HD and other Android HTC`s for FROYO !!!!

738 posts
Thanks Meter: 99

By doublecheese, Senior Member on 10th May 2011, 01:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
FOR GINGERBREAD GOTO THIS LINK .......

Hi Guys

Here is a guide to show you how to connect your HTC to Ar Drone just as an iPhone would do. This is for FROYO only , if you are on Gingerbread goto this link .

Currently Android does NOT support AD-HOC Networking

Till now I was usung the Manual Infrastructure way which needed a PC Telneting to the AR DRONE to connect to my HTC Wifi Hotspot each time powering on the Ar Drone. This means I had to carry with me a PC each time I want to Power on the AR Drone. Also the HTC WIFI Hot Spot had a limited wireless reachable range so the AR DRONE would easily get disconnected ....

Here is what you need to do , no more PC`s needed once you follow this guide.

P.S. none of this below is my invention, I just searched & found it here and there and complied a guide for you guys.

Here is what you need :

1) A Rooted HTC DESIRE HD or any other HTC
2) Your HTC must be on FROYO Rom
3) Adroid SDK
4) ROM MANAGER with Clockworkmod 2.5.1.3
5) AR.Pro or ARDrone Demo, Application from Market
6) wpa_adhoc_signed.zip file
7) Wifi Tether from market
8) Obviously an Ar Drone

Explanation of everything

#1) and 2) and 3) are Obvious

#4) Most current Rom Managers are on Clockworkmod V. 3.x.x.x these days so you must downgrade to 2.5.1.3 first , Check if you are on 2.5.1.3 or 3.X.X.X

With 2.x.x.x in the RECOVERY MODE, the TEXT are GREEN and with 3.x.x.x the text are in Orange Colour. If your text are GREEN then in the recovery mode then you`re OK goto next step, if not then follow below :

This link shows you how to downgrade your CWM into 2.5.1.3, basically you must download the 2.5.1.3 recovery image and then rename this recovery image into 'recovery.img' and then put it into the TOOLS folder of the ANDROID-SDK folder .... then follow the instructions on the link I mentioned just above. C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools (in my case)

This file mentioned above is for Desire HD in other words "ACE" if you are on any other phone, you must find the recovery image of 2.5.1.3 for your phone model !!!

IMPORTANT : Once the Downgrade has been made open ROM MANAGER and click REBOOT INTO RECOVERY , you will still see 3.x.x.x there in Orange Colour, then you must Reboot into Recovery once more and then you will see that the text in Recovery will turn GREEN although it still shows as 3.x.x.x, so if you see GREEN COLOUR you`re all set !!!! if Orange follow the steps again.

#5) Just Download from Market, there is another one called ARDroid but I could not get it working with AR Drone yet.

#6) First download this file "wp6_adhoc_signed.zip" and then put this file on the root of your SD CARD . Once this is placed on the root of your SD CARD , open ROM MANAGER (make sure it`s running 2.5.1.3 or Green Text colour in Recovery) and click REBOOT INTO RECOVERY. Then INSTALL ZIP FROM SD CARD and choose this file wp6_adhoc_signed.zip and flash it into your HTC. Once flashed turn on your AR DRONE and try to see it in the WIRELESS NETWORKS on your HTC , it should look something like this. "ardrone_XXXXXX (adhoc)" if you see this then click to connect and wait for it to connect . Once connected you can disconnect BUT do not press FORGET THIS NETWORK , keep it in the memory of HTC.

IMPORTANT : Take a note of your AR DRONE`s network SSID , you will need it later on . Mine is 'ardrone_124923'

#7) Goto this link and download the latest .apk of WIFI TETHER or goto market and try to download it from market, I think Market does not have the latest one. Once downloaded the .apk, place it in the root of your SD CARD or DOWNLOAD folder, locate it and install it using "Astro"

Now Start the WIFI TETHER, then do the following

MENU > SETTINGS > CHANGE SETUP METHOD > into WEXT (adhoc)

MENU > SETTINGS > SSID > into "ardrone_XXXXXX" xxxxxx being your AR Drone`s number that you noted down a few lines above.

MENU > SETTINGS > CHANGE LAN > into 192.168.1.0/24

MENU > SETTINGS > Routing Fix > Must be ticked (I don`t know why but it works like that)

Now press BACK and goto "PRESS TO START TETHERING" and press the sign there

Then the SIGN turns into YELLOW meaning all is OK , if you encounter ERRORS on the screen , Turn OFF/ON the wireless Tether once more, if you still encounter errors then UNINSTALL and REINSTALL WIFI TEHTER. You can check to see if there are any errors from MENU > SHOW LOG

P.S. MAKE SURE YOU ALLOW ALL REQUESTS THAT SUPERUSER.APK IS ASKING PERMISSION FOR !!!

We are almost ready !!!!

When the WIFI TEHTER is on, meaning YELLOW , turn on the AR DRONE and wait for it`s lights to be all GREEN . Once all GREEN then goto AD.PRO or ARDrone Demo application and start the application , that`s it ..... (make sure the default IP address is 192.168.1.1 on your aplication)

For the future uses you only need to turn on WIFI TETHER and then turn on the AR DRONE once all lights are green then open your favorite AR DRONE application and fly away ....

Enjoy , currently I am working on HOW TO ENABLE ADHOC ON GINGERBREAD ONCE I MANAGE IT , I WILL SEND A NEW POST HERE ....
The Following User Says Thank You to doublecheese For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift doublecheese Ad-Free

16th May 2011, 10:42 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Will this work with Unrevoked root?
17th May 2011, 07:46 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 99

More
I am also on a custom rom (Leedroid) and it works perfectly well

The rom you are using does/should not mater !!!!

Your phone must be rooted !!! This is a must.....
11th July 2011, 09:12 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Man... such an incredible pain in the ass.

I used my dads iphone and it worked perfectly in about 5 minutes.

This **** is ridiculous.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)