FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor View 10

[Tool][Guide]Linux tools

126 posts
Thanks Meter: 53
 
By rumcajsz, Senior Member on 12th May 2011, 10:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I. How to root Defy via Linux!
A simple script for rooting Defy from Linux. I use SuperOneClick 1.9.1 files in my script, and I rooting succesfully my device from Ubuntu 11.04.
It does not install "bussybox" and "Android Terminal", just "su" and "Superuser.apk".
I hope it will work for someone else too.

Using:
0. install usb grants on your computer (see adb install method)
1. unzip file
2. run RootDefy.sh
3. after succesfully install, reboot phone (./adblinux reboot)

Download:
(version 0.2) download

Changelogs:
Code:
02.06.2011: Version 0.2
- Added header to script
13.05.2011: Version 0.1
- correct Defy device number
- correct /system filesystem type and path

12.05.2011: First release
II. How to flash a SBF via Linux!
0. charge your phone 100%!
1. download and extract your sbf file: download
2. download sbf_flash file (same directory): download, or see the editor blog
3. chmod +x sbf_flash
4. sudo ./sbf_flash xxxxxx.sbf
Now your phone should start flashing, and phone will reboot when finish it.

III. How to unroot Defy via Linux!
Go to this topic: link
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to rumcajsz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rumcajsz Ad-Free
 
 
12th May 2011, 11:44 PM |#2  
antony.ps's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Florianópolis
Thanks Meter: 269
 
More
Nice, will try this =)
13th May 2011, 07:51 AM |#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
nice work!
I have been looking for it
Thx.
13th May 2011, 07:53 AM |#4  
Member
Thanks Meter: 54
 
More
Great. I'm under linux too, each time I root a rom I launched a script from sdcard. For next time I'll test your script.

Fyi, I flash rom under linux too. I use 'sbf_flash', that works very well!
( but unsuccessfull under mac )

Now I'm looking for deodex script. I wrote and test some but still get errors with some apk and jar


Sent from my MB525 using XDA App
13th May 2011, 09:14 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Flag Timisoara
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumcajsz

I made a simple script for rooting Defy from Linux. I use SuperOneClick 1.9.1 files in my script, and I rooting succesfully my device from Ubuntu 11.04.
It does not install "bussybox" and "Android Terminal", just "su" and "Superuser.apk".
I hope it will work for someone else too.

Using:
0. install usb grants on your computer (see adb install method)
1. unzip file
2. run RootDefy.sh
3. after succesfully install, reboot phone (./adblinux reboot)

Download:
link

(sorry for my bad english)

I believe that this script will not work for Motorola Defy for the following reasons:
1)on lines 17-19 the script checks if there are any udev rules matching a Samsung device (for Samsung devices the idVendor attribute is 04e8, but for Motorola devices, the idVendor attribute is 22b8).

2)on line 53 you are remounting the /system partition specifying that the file system is yaffs2 and the device block is /dev/block/mtdblock0.
On my Defy the file system used is ext3 and the device is /dev/block/mmcblk1p21

I have managed to root my defy a few days ago, from my linux box, using the files used by Sooperonelick (rageagainstthecage, superuser.apk, su and busybox) but considering the facts stated above.

@MisterWB
Quote:

Fyi, I flash rom under linux too. I use 'sbf_flash', that works very well!
( but unsuccessfull under mac )

Did you used the last version for sbf_flash? On the original site its stated that the same binary should work on linux and mac
The Following User Says Thank You to tuxtm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tuxtm Ad-Free
13th May 2011, 10:08 AM |#6  
rumcajsz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxtm

I believe that this script will not work for Motorola Defy for the following reasons:
1)on lines 17-19 the script checks if there are any udev rules matching a Samsung device (for Samsung devices the idVendor attribute is 04e8, but for Motorola devices, the idVendor attribute is 22b8).

2)on line 53 you are remounting the /system partition specifying that the file system is yaffs2 and the device block is /dev/block/mtdblock0.
On my Defy the file system used is ext3 and the device is /dev/block/mmcblk1p21

I have managed to root my defy a few days ago, from my linux box, using the files used by Sooperonelick (rageagainstthecage, superuser.apk, su and busybox) but considering the facts stated above.

Thanks for the advice, I will correct their lines ...
13th May 2011, 10:28 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Flag Timisoara
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
You're welcome.

If you want to make a script that will work on all devices you could parse the /rpoc/mounts file from the device and extract the device that's mounted to /system and the file system used (in this case the udev part would also need to be modified)

Also, did you check if the adb binary you are using doesn't need any other external libraries installed by Android SDK. I'm asking this because in the sooperoneclick zip I downloaded, I saw some dll files which I' guess that are used by the adb windows binary, and I don't know if the linux adb binary doesn't need some external libraries, which should also be included in your zip file.

Good luck
13th May 2011, 02:26 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 54
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxtm

@MisterWB

Did you used the last version for sbf_flash? On the original site its stated that the same binary should work on linux and mac


Yes I use it on mac+linux... but on my mac, at beginning sbf_flash see my phone, but when I want to flash a sbf, sbf_flash freeze on message "waiting for phone" It seems usb behavior varies on mac models.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

@everyone
This thread could-be a good space to exchange about linux tools.
In this case rumcajsz should change the first post's title, and maintain text, links ...
What do-you think about ? Or do-you prefer a new thread ?
13th May 2011, 02:45 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWB

Fyi, I flash rom under linux too. I use 'sbf_flash', that works very well!

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

where can i download sbf_flash?
thank you.
13th May 2011, 02:46 PM |#10  
rumcajsz's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWB

@everyone
This thread could-be a good space to exchange about linux tools.
In this case rumcajsz should change the first post's title, and maintain text, links ...
What do-you think about ? Or do-you prefer a new thread ?

Great idea, I changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw.xda

where can i download sbf_flash?
thank you.

The download link in the first post now.
The Following User Says Thank You to rumcajsz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rumcajsz Ad-Free
15th May 2011, 04:40 AM |#11  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
usb tether
Hi,
thanks for both script, works well for me.
I like: go first to recovery menu (vol donw and power) with usb connected and run the flashing script, perfect...
How do you usb tether with your defy and linux ? (ubuntu)
I use this a lot with my previous phone htc.
I run the french froyo rom (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1072367), but i did not found the m.stone usbtether app.
Maybe you got a sbf with every things working natively with linux and no blur?

Regards and BRAVO again...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
root defy

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes