FORUMS

How to make your own Motorola "Factory Cable"

61 posts
Thanks Meter: 33

By MotoCache1, Member on 13th May 2011, 04:01 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Over in this post Cellzealot opined that I might be willing to share the pinout of the "factory cable" clone that I worked up. I absolutely am, but needed to find several hours of free time to do the writeup, images, etc.

The other night I set aside the time and did the writeup. If you would like to make your own cable, you can read the writeup here.

To oversimplify it, here is the map:

The map is simple enough. The main problem (as detailed in the writeup I linked to above) is that since pin 4 is normally unused in a Mini/Micro B connector, there is no wire connected to it (to tie to), and in the case of the Mini B that I surgically dissected, the actual pin for pin 4 was nipped off at the back of the connector as well.

This doesn't preclude you from making a cable as you can always order brand new connectors and solder them up any way you like.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have in this topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schematic.jpg
Views:	82814
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	594908  
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to MotoCache1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MotoCache1 Ad-Free
13th May 2011, 04:28 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
great guide
Thanks for linking this to us! This would be tremendously useful to many on this forum. My question is, since the docks Motorola sells basically do the same thing, could the process be applied like callen81 did to make USB host functionality? It seems like the same process is used, albeit simpler.
13th May 2011, 04:43 PM |#3  
Flag Aberdeen
Thanks Meter: 760

Donate to Me
More
Or just buy a USB 3.0 cable!
13th May 2011, 04:53 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
ya i picked up like three for like 1.50 each. monoprice.com has alot of cables for super cheap, good quality too
edit, i also got the 10 footers so i dont have to be bounded to the 4 footer that comes with it
13th May 2011, 04:55 PM |#5  
Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee - Fear the Clown
Flag Lake Ridge, Virginia
Thanks Meter: 3,713

Donate to Me
More
Moved to proper forum.
13th May 2011, 05:06 PM |#6  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 335

More
Guys, a factory cable is not like the micro USB cables you buy, nor the standard "OTG" micro usb cables/adapters to become USB host.

Notice that PIN4 is tied to POWER, the +5V on PIN1, not to ground on PIN5 as in OTG cables (or left floating like on most mini/micro cables.)

This cable is essentially for being able to nvflash the phone, although perhaps it has other uses I am unaware of.
13th May 2011, 05:58 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eval-

Guys, a factory cable is not like the micro USB cables you buy, nor the standard "OTG" micro usb cables/adapters to become USB host.

Notice that PIN4 is tied to POWER, the +5V on PIN1, not to ground on PIN5 as in OTG cables (or left floating like on most mini/micro cables.)

This cable is essentially for being able to nvflash the phone, although perhaps it has other uses I am unaware of.

It can also be used to charge the phone while flashing SBF.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bearsfan172 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bearsfan172 Ad-Free
13th May 2011, 06:42 PM |#8  
Flag Westminster
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

isn't it also possible to use a usb keyboard with this method given that you have a usb powering hub in the middle?
13th May 2011, 11:59 PM |#9  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 590

Donate to Me
More
The most useful thing to do at this point would be linking places that sell easily modified cables / adapters. As he said 99% of cables you find will not have the 5th wire connected or soldered on to the connector. Even if I had a cable or source of cables that had an easily solderable 5th pin this cable would be decently cheap to make. Most of the space cables I've hacked apart just have 4 solder points and a 'dummy' pin #4 (what, to look cool?) sigh.
14th May 2011, 01:30 AM |#10  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan172

It can also be used to charge the phone while flashing SBF.

I can't say for the Atrix, but for every other phone I've used the cable on, while it will power the phone while flashing, it will not charge the phone while flashing.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoCache1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MotoCache1 Ad-Free
16th May 2011, 08:27 PM |#11  
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 922

More
Quote:

They do indeed have many uses

They do indeed have many other uses besides the nvflash interface which is strictly for Tegra based devices. They not only power the device without battery, but autoload the Motorola networking driver and other interfaces for diagnostic mode NV access with both Motorola and Qualcomm service ware as well as flash tools like RSD Lite.
The device is always initialized properly and identified by the applications for various operations.
Similar powered cables have been used for all P2K generation Motorola devices for many years in various configurations. The real factory cables are made with a Mini USB B end and come with an adapter so they are compatible across a much wider range of older devices.

We hope very much that getting this info out will generate a lot of outflow for the many ways to apply the unique properties of these cables for newer devices.
The Following User Says Thank You to cellzealot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cellzealot Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)