FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Help our Community - stop akaskriller - #NeverAgain Rd. 2 ** 1:30 AM EST

4,922 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,150

Thread Closed Email Thread
Very important:

Respect the rules of XDA.. post like you thought about it, not out of rage.
I do not want to promote/help this guy.
There is a fine line between this and simply informing people.
I think the latter is worth the risk.

OP was cleaned up since its getting so much attention now

5/17/11 synopsis:
The Android Community rallied. A lot was accomplished. But, we haven't succeeded.
Make Wednesday even better. Tweet, write articles and submit them to sites, post on facebook, just do something.
Site was/is down... but because he took it down for maintenance. Not his ISP shutting him down.

ARTICLES PUBLISHED FROM OUR EFFORTS (And growing....):

UncutAndroid published it first, they tell it how it is and let users speak their mind.
AndoidSPIN Much respect for them too!
Voice Of Android Found me a new site!

RESULTS?!?!

His site is currently down...
Our developers (some who have not been around in a long time) and some who used to feud are ALL working together
and of course the below work...

Thanks to the community and XDA user andyharney we have ("You are" is directed at akaskriller, obviously):
Quote:

You are in breach of Apache Software License Version 2 & GNU General Public License Version 2.

You are in breach of your AdSense account by hosting copyrighted material, you have been reported

You have been reported to Gameloft for hosting their pirated/warez apps, they have notified their legal dept.

You have been reported to your web host for hosting & distributing pirated/warez apps.

You have been reported to Paypal for profiteering off pirated/warez apps.

WAIT, WHAT'S GOING DOWN?

Recently in one of my guides, a user who apparently did not understand the intent of the thread, starting going off on me that my thread should be deleted... and started singing the praises of AkaSkriller. I thought this guy was a thing of the past. Nope, he has only gotten bigger.

Most people know this guy is a Fraud... he takes the work of our developers (roms, themes, free/paid apps and posts it on his site... behind a $5 donate wall ( $5/month for ACCESS to others work ).

Read some of the below posts where developers have already posted conversations with this guy.... it's sad panda time here.

Not enough, read the lashing he took trying to "apologize" *fake/lying*

Master (Axura ROM) stated that he spoke with AkaSkriller about removing his ROM and he was told he would simply edit the build.prop as to be a different ROM... as if by editing this, it was somehow no longer Master's work!! Since then, there are just more developers supporting this....

This outraged me. I truly respect ALL of our developers, and this is just ONE example of probably 100's where this guy and his site have taken advantage of those in our community who are NOT familiar.

Sooooo........

I propose we do ANOTHER #NeverAgain Twitter campaign where we send out tweets telling people to not use this guys site... we inform people the $5 "donate" for access to files is absurd... and we try and point people to sites like XDA!

A place where we are truly geared to helping our developers/community
(not to make money off noobs).

Here is his site. I only link to it so you can see just how absurd it is. DO NOT give this guy any of your money.

ACTION:

Send out a tweet about it...
Post on your Facebook about it....
Email or send a tweet to other Android sites and ask them to tweet about it....

Sample Tweet (copy and paste if you like):

Sites requiring a donation for access to others work is wrong. Read this: http://goo.gl/l7vSO

I realize some of you think this is crazy/pointless. But it bothers me to have an element like that in a community I really do love.
And yes, I have a "Donate to Me" button. Only because someone volunteered to give me a donation before I had a link.
I've received MAYBE $30... imagine how much I could make on a site like that (near 600 thanks and I am NOT a developer)!

lets play the "I see $5 this many times" game... Maybe just a "thanks button" would work? Nagh, lets make a whole section.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to s15274n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s15274n Ad-Free

17th May 2011, 03:37 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
We could also warn new users/subscribers of his YouTube account by posting comments on his profile page/videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/akaskriller

Edit: I found his real name (David Barkley) and his Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/akamilkweed?sk=wall) if anyone wants to go an evil route, use social engineering, etc to screw with him outside of the internet as revenge.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift woodie Ad-Free
17th May 2011, 03:55 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag N.C.

Donate to Me
More
Good stuff. I may need to edit the title. I don't want to HURT him, more just want to prevent people new to Android/unfamiliar to think what he is doing is acceptable.

Posting on social media its a great tool, inc twitter/facebook/youtube, etc

I have asked popular android blogs to write about it today, here is hoping they care about the community as much as I do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s15274n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s15274n Ad-Free
17th May 2011, 04:10 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 1,884

Donate to Me
More
I'm on board, for no other reason than he charges for people to be able to get to his DL section to get his kanged and stolen roms. That, asking for payment, as per the Apache Open Source Licensing agreement that binds all Android OS builds, is absolutely illegal.

Edit - posted to my facebook, I was emailing with an admin on AndroidSpin yesterday, going to email him now and see if he will get this posted on AndroidSpin

Edit - AndroidSpin admin emailed
The Following User Says Thank You to Br1cK'd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Br1cK'd Ad-Free
17th May 2011, 04:16 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1,247

Donate to Me
More
Here is some of what he has said to me via email in the past.
"you have put my life and my family life in danger" (How exactly would I have done that..?)
"my post have been change and now ill just really right all the roms u post and make them mine"

..and when I asked him to take the pirated apps off of his site he replied.
"sir thos are all app that are in 4share.com so go bug them ok
your mean"

"dude calm down hater"
The Following User Says Thank You to Master™ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Master™ Ad-Free
17th May 2011, 04:21 PM |#6  
Forum Moderator
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 5,378

Donate to Me
More
I m on board I looked around on his website........... he is just copying other people stuff...........

These type of guys .....they are like weeds in my yard. Always popping up.

Remember all the hurt and problems He will now have are a result of his actions not ours.
The Following User Says Thank You to oka1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oka1 Ad-Free
17th May 2011, 04:23 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 1,884

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master™

"you have put my life and my family life in danger" (How exactly would I have done that..?)
"my post have been change and now ill just really right all the roms u post and make them mine"

your mean"

"dude calm down hater"

Whoa, there's a voice I haven't heard in a while. How ya been?
17th May 2011, 04:24 PM |#8  
Forum Moderator
Flag Honolulu, Hawaii
Thanks Meter: 5,378

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master™

your mean"

"dude calm down hater"

He could use some lessons in grammar and syntax as well..........
17th May 2011, 04:26 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Youtube account
I posted this message on his Youtube subscription page:

"All this guy does is STEAL other developer's work and put it behind a paywall. Don't believe me? Go to XDA forums and find all these ROMs and support for FREE!!!"

It may get deleted, but if everyone on here does the same, it will warn all the noobs that something is up.
17th May 2011, 04:41 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag N.C.

Donate to Me
More
I've reached my Thanks limit.. but truly grateful. I feel with enough social media effort we can really help.

For those not familar, my first #NeverAgain campaign was against Samsung.... shortly after, I received calls from them, they were following me on twitter and VERY soon after Froyo was given to us via kies.

my point? To my surprise, it really did work in my opinion (and others).
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to s15274n For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift s15274n Ad-Free
17th May 2011, 04:46 PM |#11  
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 1,314

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oka1

He could use some lessons in grammar and syntax as well..........

He does that on purpose. I've also had email conversations with him in the past when the first round of threads started about him. He pretends to not speak very good English. But just have a listen to his video, he seems to speak pretty good English in fact.

He will pretend to be a nice guy. Months ago during our email conversation, I talked him into making an apology thread here, which he did. I told him no one is trying to hurt him, Devs just want their credit.

This is the best thing we can do, just warn any new commers to not go and get robbed $5 a month for his stolen ROMS.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
akaskriller, community, deuche, fraud, scam
Previous Thread Next Thread