FORUMS

[Q] FM Radio app

114 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By Puffballofdoom, Senior Member on 18th May 2011, 06:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've recently rooted my Desire Z and flashed Virtuous G-lite on it. One thing I really miss is an FM Radio app like the one of HTC Sense. I'm really searching for an app that receives FM, and not streams it over the internet.

I've searched the market but I haven't found anything, XDA forums had lots of hits but nothing that resolved my issue.Then I got a suggestion someone might be able to make an APK out of the Sense FM Radio.

So basically my question: Is there an app which alows me to receive FM Radio in the market? Or could anyone please wrap up an .apk from stock HTC Sense so I could try that out?
18th May 2011, 05:00 PM |#3  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 96

More
here is the fm.apk from cyanogen. I assume it works on other aosp roms, but I've been wrong (many a time) before.
Attached Files
File Type: apk FM.apk - [Click for QR Code] (336.2 KB, 1934 views)
18th May 2011, 08:18 PM |#4  
Flag Cleveland
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprost

take a look at Spirit FM Radio

Awesome, I like this radio more the CM's.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA Premium App
18th May 2011, 08:56 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcqueen

here is the fm.apk from cyanogen. I assume it works on other aosp roms, but I've been wrong (many a time) before.

Thanks for posting! Installing works fine, but the app FC's on launch, even after reboot, might need some work before it works on G-lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprost

take a look at Spirit FM Radio

Thanks for the heads up, app installs and launches, but after selecting an FM frequency there is no sound or any sign of receving anything.
18th May 2011, 09:06 PM |#6  
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffballofdoom

Thanks for posting! Installing works fine, but the app FC's on launch, even after reboot, might need some work before it works on G-lite

Thanks for the heads up, app installs and launches, but after selecting an FM frequency there is no sound or any sign of receving anything.

poo. make sure permissions are correct.

I don't ever use the FM radio so I'm not really familiar with how it works or if it relies on files outside of the apk to work. I do know that it requires bluetooth & headphones (headphones are used as antenna).

let me do some digging and I'll post back if I find anything.
18th May 2011, 09:16 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
I haven't got Root Explorer, but ROM Manager had a button Fix Permissions that should fix it too. After that I rebooted (ROM Manager suggested that), I enabled bluetooth, plugged in my headphones and still get instant FC when launching the app.

I will get back to it tomorrow, thanks for helping!
18th May 2011, 09:20 PM |#8  
Flag Seattle, WA

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffballofdoom

I haven't got Root Explorer, but ROM Manager had a button Fix Permissions that should fix it too. After that I rebooted (ROM Manager suggested that), I enabled bluetooth, plugged in my headphones and still get instant FC when launching the app.

I will get back to it tomorrow, thanks for helping!

yes, rom mgr fix permissions works as well. I just hate using it because most of the time I only need to fix permissions for one or two apps at a time, and in that case it's easier to just know the chmod command (see below).

how did you "install" the app? did you place it on your sdcard and install it that way? or did you push it to /system/app (or /data/app)?

here's what I would do with it (I will test with g-lite when I get home tonight and let you know if it worked for me):

I would take the FM.apk attached and place it on my sdcard, then run the following commands from command prompt (you can do this from terminal emulator as well, just skip "adb shell"):
Quote:

adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system/app
mv /sdcard/FM.apk /system/app/
chmod 644 /system/app/FM.apk
reboot

in your case, my first step would be to find wherever FM.apk put itself (probably /data/app depending on what you did to install it), delete it, and start from scratch.
18th May 2011, 09:41 PM |#9  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Why don't you just use tune in radio? It gets a ridiculous amount of stations and doesn't need headphones for an antenna. Try it!

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
18th May 2011, 09:50 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Tune In streams from internet, since I have a 1GB/month datalimit I really need FM to keep my data usage under 1GB/month.

Pmcqueen: I will try that first thing in the morning!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
19th May 2011, 06:19 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcqueen

yes, rom mgr fix permissions works as well. I just hate using it because most of the time I only need to fix permissions for one or two apps at a time, and in that case it's easier to just know the chmod command (see below).

how did you "install" the app? did you place it on your sdcard and install it that way? or did you push it to /system/app (or /data/app)?

here's what I would do with it (I will test with g-lite when I get home tonight and let you know if it worked for me):

I would take the FM.apk attached and place it on my sdcard, then run the following commands from command prompt (you can do this from terminal emulator as well, just skip "adb shell"):

in your case, my first step would be to find wherever FM.apk put itself (probably /data/app depending on what you did to install it), delete it, and start from scratch.

If I try mount -o rw,remount /system/app I just get feedback Usage: mount [-r] [-w] [-o] [-t] device directory. As far as I can tell the comma shouldn't be in the command, but what the command should be then I don't know

(My terminal has Superuser rights)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fm radio

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)