FORUMS

[HOWTO]Root JV9 / JVO ( no custom kernel )

515 posts
Thanks Meter: 99

By myshu, Senior Member on 23rd May 2011, 11:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This has been tested on I9000BUJV9 and it's working
You'll need the following :

- Heimdall
https://github.com/downloads/Benjami....1.1-win32.zip
for it to work you need Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 , link in the program README

- fuguroot kernel for Heimdal
http://fugumod.org/zImage-root

- zImage from your desired firmware (extract the zImage file from the PDA.tar or the onefile firmware .tar using 7zip)

You'll need to do the following :

1. backup your files just in case , or if you're not on a clean firmware and wish to do so

2. turn your phone off and remove the battery for a few seconds

3. put the battery in and start the phone in download mode

4. connect the phone to the PC and start zadig.exe from Heimdall folder
- select options -> list all devices
- select samsung usb composite device
- select install driver and wait (select install driver anyway if warning appears)

5. exit zadig.exe and start heimdall-frontend.exe

6. browse from the kernel category and select the fuguroot kernel for Heimdall
-> the zImage-root you've downloaded previously

7. click start and wait for it to be done
DO NOT REMOVE THE USB CABLE AFTER IT'S DONE

8. right after the flashing is done you'll see the fugu bootlogo ( red fish ) and then the phone turns itself off and starts charging
AS SOON AS YOU SEE THE CHARGING BATTERY , REMOVE THE PHONE'S BATTERY AND CABLE

9. after a few seconds put the battery back in and start the phone in download mode again

10. connect the phone back to the pc and now browse from the KERNEL category to your stock zImage you've extracted from the stock firmware

11. select start again and as it completes you MAY REMOVE THE CABLE

The phone starts , and voila , superuser is there and also the phone is rooted

You may also perform a hard/factory reset as the root and superuser will still be present.

thanks to Heimdall readme file
thanks to nikademus for creating fuguroot kernel
thanks to me ^^

root I9000BUJV9 JV9
root I9000XXJVO JVO
24th May 2011, 01:26 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
I stopped using fuguroot since discovering it was deleting files without being upfront about it. If the author fixed that it would be great.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
24th May 2011, 04:27 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
can i use gingerbreak for JVO ?
24th May 2011, 08:48 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Constanta

More
gingerbreak doesn't quite work , but for JVO theres this method , theres CF-ROOT
24th May 2011, 11:01 AM |#5  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by {Angel}

I stopped using fuguroot since discovering it was deleting files without being upfront about it. If the author fixed that it would be great.

Which files does it delete and why? Is it just drexe and npsmobex? These can be restored fairly easily. If removing these is integral to gaining root, then yes, it should be noted.

Apart from fscking Kies up (which is no great loss), what else does this cause issues with?

Personally, I think fuguroot is a great tool which works faultlessly for me over JVB-JVO, but I agree file deletion should be stated somewhere in the release notes.
24th May 2011, 03:14 PM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxdeluxe

Which files does it delete and why? Is it just drexe and npsmobex? These can be restored fairly easily. If removing these is integral to gaining root, then yes, it should be noted.

Apart from fscking Kies up (which is no great loss), what else does this cause issues with?

Personally, I think fuguroot is a great tool which works faultlessly for me over JVB-JVO, but I agree file deletion should be stated somewhere in the release notes.

Yes those files. Deleting them is not required for rooting which is the sole intended purpose of this kernel as per the authors description. I dont want something deleting stuff it shouldnt for no aparent reason and no disclosure. I am also uncomfortable the author has not rectified this. What else it might be doing? Catch my drift? ...otherwise this would be a very useful tool.

24th May 2011, 04:17 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshu

[HOWTO]Root JV9 / JVO ( no custom kernel )

Not to be a douche but since when was fuguroot not a custom kernel?
24th May 2011, 05:07 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 118

More
Yeah this is a custom kernel, as it involves flashing a Z-Image, which is kind of misleading...
24th May 2011, 05:51 PM |#9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaju123

Yeah this is a custom kernel, as it involves flashing a Z-Image, which is kind of misleading...

I was also thinking this. To defend the OP though, I think the point is that you can flash back to stock kernel afterwards
24th May 2011, 07:34 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Constanta

More
no custom kernel as in , you don't have to stay onto a custom kernel to keep the root , once you flash back to stock kernel you can factory reset and its 100% stock but with root access
24th May 2011, 07:51 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshu

no custom kernel as in , you don't have to stay onto a custom kernel to keep the root , once you flash back to stock kernel you can factory reset and its 100% stock but with root access

Thats the case with pretty much every other custom kernel...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)