FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Fm radio ,vibrate feedback and 1080p video playback

3,257 posts
Thanks Meter: 292

By hoss_n2, Senior Member on 27th May 2011, 10:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As most tabs don't have these features so i wanted to ask the question for who actually got the flyer ,does the flyer has Fm radio , vibrate feedback and 1080p video playback
As qualcomm lists the qsd8255
Processor with 720p only @30fbs playback

Thanks and regards

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA App

27th May 2011, 01:54 PM |#2  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 117

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss_n2

As most tabs don't have these features so i wanted to ask the question for who actually got the flyer ,does the flyer has Fm radio , vibrate feedback and 1080p video playback
As qualcomm lists the qsd8255
Processor with 720p only @30fbs playback

Thanks and regards

Sadly, there is no FM Radio, however, I cannot coment on the others because I have not checked them out.
27th May 2011, 01:59 PM |#3  
Flag Fort Worth, TX
Thanks Meter: 77

More
FM RADIO: SW NO. HW maybe
I do not see an FM radio application already on the device so I'm not sure if it has the HW or not. I do remember previous devices having the HW but HTC not bundling the application.

1080p Playback: No
I've tried multiple files(all same format which was mp4) with multiple players and I have never been able to get 1080p playback to work smoothly. I've tried HW decoding and SW decoding with no success. I tried the same files on my viliv N5 which has HW decoding and they played back flawlessly.

720p Playback: Sorta, needs more testing.
It plays relatively smoothly but i've only tried 720p mkv files. I would say that frame drops are noticeable but not horrible. I don't have many 720p files that aren't mkvs so I will have to do some more testing.

Haptic feedback: Yes
I get haptic feedback on the capacitive buttons and the OSK. I'm not sure which tablets don't have this because my galaxy tab had it too.

Hope it helps.
27th May 2011, 02:03 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag cairo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxsteez

FM RADIO: SW NO. HW maybe
I do not see an FM radio application already on the device so I'm not sure if it has the HW or not. I do remember previous devices having the HW but HTC not bundling the application.

1080p Playback: No
I've tried multiple files(all same format which was mp4) with multiple players and I have never been able to get 1080p playback to work smoothly. I've tried HW decoding and SW decoding with no success. I tried the same files on my viliv N5 which has HW decoding and they played back flawlessly.

720p Playback: Sorta, needs more testing.
It plays relatively smoothly but i've only tried 720p mkv files. I would say that frame drops are noticeable but not horrible. I don't have many 720p files that aren't mkvs so I will have to do some more testing.

Haptic feedback: Yes
I get haptic feedback on the capacitive buttons and the OSK. I'm not sure which tablets don't have this because my galaxy tab had it too.

Hope it helps.

Thanks allot for your reply both of you but (10.1 tablets don't have haptic feed back ) ,another thing does the 1080p videos you try on flyer works on galaxy tab or same issue.

27th May 2011, 04:12 PM |#5  
Flag Fort Worth, TX

More
Quote:

Thanks allot for your reply both of you but (10.1 tablets don't have haptic feed back ) ,another thing does the 1080p videos you try on flyer works on galaxy tab or same issue.

I actually never tried those 1080p files on the Galaxy tab and I don't have it anymore So the haptic feedback isn't in honeycomb or something? Or do the devices just not implement it?
27th May 2011, 05:05 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag cairo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxsteez

I actually never tried those 1080p files on the Galaxy tab and I don't have it anymore So the haptic feedback isn't in honeycomb or something? Or do the devices just not implement it?

No it isn't implemented I think because of its huge size need bigger vibrator
27th May 2011, 07:15 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

another thing does the 1080p videos you try on flyer works on galaxy tab or same issue.

Just want to chime in regarding video playback since I was able to do some testing on my friend's Flyer the day he got it.

1) 1080p h.264 MP4 file encoded to Blu-Ray spec (high profile Level 4.1, with 4 ref frames), bitrate around 5000kbps - does not play properly on the Flyer, but plays on the Galaxy Tab with no or very little frame drop.

2) 720p h.264 MKV file encoded to high profile Level 4.1 with 4 ref frames ~2000kbps with flac audio and subtitles - plays fine using moboplayer on the flyer (didn't notice any frame dropping) and also plays well on the Galaxy Tab.

I should try out a 720p with 8 ref frames and see what happens as that is the max you can do with high profile 4.1 h264 videos at that resolution. I'm not entirely sure on this, but I think as you have h264 encode video with more ref frames it takes more power to decode.
27th May 2011, 10:45 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag cairo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3ch7

Just want to chime in regarding video playback since I was able to do some testing on my friend's Flyer the day he got it.

1) 1080p h.264 MP4 file encoded to Blu-Ray spec (high profile Level 4.1, with 4 ref frames), bitrate around 5000kbps - does not play properly on the Flyer, but plays on the Galaxy Tab with no or very little frame drop.

2) 720p h.264 MKV file encoded to high profile Level 4.1 with 4 ref frames ~2000kbps with flac audio and subtitles - plays fine using moboplayer on the flyer (didn't notice any frame dropping) and also plays well on the Galaxy Tab.

I should try out a 720p with 8 ref frames and see what happens as that is the max you can do with high profile 4.1 h264 videos at that resolution. I'm not entirely sure on this, but I think as you have h264 encode video with more ref frames it takes more power to decode.

Does that means that video playback on galaxy tab is better or it is only a matter of drivers

27th May 2011, 11:24 PM |#9  
Flag Fort Worth, TX

More
Quote:

Does that means that video playback on galaxy tab is better or it is only a matter of drivers

I think the galaxy tab playback is much better, at least out of the box. All of those codecs and such are built in and the player itself is much better!
28th May 2011, 06:14 AM |#10  
Flag DF
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:

I believe it is better and not just due to software but hardware. These devices do their best video playback when using hardware acceleration. The 8255 chipset found on the flyer was never deisgned for 1080p playback
30th May 2011, 02:50 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsearch

I believe it is better and not just due to software but hardware. These devices do their best video playback when using hardware acceleration. The 8255 chipset found on the flyer was never deisgned for 1080p playback

And, the nice thing is that Samsung got their Hummingbird SoC DivX HD certified which means it can play mkv files natively out of the box as long as they are encoded to within blu-ray spec (no higher than level 4.1 for 1080p video).

But, the Flyer is no slouch when it comes to 720p video and it looks great on the 7" display. You can always use Handbrake or DVDCatalyst to reconvert video unless your computer isn't powerful enough to do so.

The dual-core Snapdragon is able to do 1080p playback as vague as that sounds.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)