FORUMS

[Guide] G1 How-to: Root, Un-Root & Everything in-between; 2708 1.33.0013d

1,390 posts
Thanks Meter: 192

By ldrifta, Senior Member on 27th May 2011, 01:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
!!READ DIRECTIONS VERY CAREFULLY!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKING YOUR DEVICE!!

Now that i got the warning out of the way i can promise you this method works 100% as long as you follow these directions exact!!

INDEX:

~1: Rooting
~2: Google By-pass
~3: No Recovery
~4: ENG SPL/Fastboot help
~5: Un-Rooting

~For instructions on installing ADB/Fastboot Drivers see this:
[Guide] SDK r11+, Installing adb/fastboot drivers for windows Vista/7

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1~Rooting
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-This guide is for the US T-Mobile G1
-DO NOT jump in on any part of the guide without knowing what your doing!!!

Note: Be sure your sdcard is FAT32 format

Now to get started..
whether you are on 1.1, 1.2... 1.5 or 1.6 do Step 1!!
Step 1. Get to 1.5 stock and flash recovery!

Download these files...

DREAIMG.nbh(downgrades to 1.0)
update.zip(upgrades to 1.5)
Flashrec.apk(lets you flash custom recovery.img)
Recovery.img(RA-Dream custom recovery.img)

now place all files on root of your sd card and follow these directions do NOT mix up files or forget which one is which.. lol
(if your device doesn't see the DREAIMG.nbh file, make sure your sdcard is formatted in FAT32)

1. Power on phone via fastboot (camera+power) wait for it to ask if you want to apply update and agree, wait for it to finish.. now power off device.

2. Reboot via recovery (home+power) now if you are unrooted you should get a screen with a triangle and a ! at this point press and hold "alt+L" untill words pop up on screen, now press "alt+W" to wipe phone data, than press "alt+S" to apply update. now reboot phone and sign in to google.

3. Once signed into google and at home screen go into the market and download "OI File Manager" now go back to your home screen and go to settings>applications> now check the box that says "unknown sources", then scroll down to development and open the menu to check the box that says USB debugging.

4. Now go back to your home screen and open the app drawer to find the installed OI File Manager and open it, press allow and continue than look on your sd for the "flashrec" file you downloaded, select it and install it. When its finished press open than press the "backup recovery" button, now in the box area type sdcard/recovery-RA-dream-v1.7.0-cyan.img than the "flash recovery button should light up. Press it and let it finish, now your device is rooted! Power off and boot up into recovery! (home+power)

*(Note) If you have no Data Plan than you can use the google by-pass method. for it to work properly follow directions here...

-Flash DREAIMG.nbh from step 1
-Reboot and follow google by-pass method [Be sure to sign into google]
-Now reboot to recovery and DO NOT wipe data, only apply the update..
(This should update your firware to 1.5 without wiping your google sign-in data from the by-pass method)
Step 2. Upgrade to 2.22.23.02/1.33.2005/Danger spl

Now delete the old files off your sd card and place these files on it!!

Radio 2.22.23.02.zip
G1 SPL.zip
DangerSPL.zip

1. Scroll down to wipe data and do so.. than go to "flash .zip file" now the first file you want to flash is the "radio" file you downloaded, let finish than press home+back to apply update, it should reboot back to recovery after this.

2. Now go to wipe again and do so.. the next file you want to flash is the "G1 Spl" (Hard SPL) so flash the .zip file and let finish than press home+back to apply update.. Now it should boot back into recovery again.. if not than just power down and reboot into recovery.

3. Go to wipe data 1 more time.. now go to flash zip and select the "Danger SPL.zip" let finish and press home+back to apply update.. now you have the Danger Spl installed!!

4. Power back on into bootloader (camera+power) and check if device says..

Dream PVT 32b ENG S-off
HBOOT 1.33.2005 (drea10000)
CPLD-4
RADIO 2.22.23.02
APR 20, 2009, 15:30:43

If this is what you see than you can move on to Step 3...

Step 3. Upgrading to 2.22.28.25/1.33.0013d

*This method is for flashing zip files via recovery, if you are experienced and have 'fastboot' enabled than the safest method would be flashing the required files via fastboot.

for proper instructions refer to EzTerry's 2708+ thread here.

Now here comes the fun part Download these files..
(I added a .zip for the 2.22.27.08 radio also, it's your choice. here is some threads about the two radio's..
Here & here...

Quote:

Quote by EzTerry:
WARNING:
1) flashing a 2.22 radio via recovery if you have a 3.22 or 1.33 radio via recovery *will* brick your phone
2) flashing the 1.33.0013d spl with a 1.22 radio via recovery *will* brick your phone

Radio 2.22.28.25 (from ezterry 2708+ guide with added safety features )
Radio 2.22.27.08
HBoot 1.33.0013d
Ohsaka Superwipe

Again delete the old files off your sd card and place these files on it!!

1. Boot up into recovery mode, go to flash zip from sd and select Ohsaka superwipe. wait till finish then go to power down!! now boot back up into recovery again.

2. Now do a manual wipe of data and cache.. (please follow along exactly and wipe data everytime i say to wipe data)

3. Now flash the radio (2.22.28.25).zip file.. let finish than flash the hboot (1.33.0013d).zip file and let it finish! then reboot the device for update to apply.

4. Power off the device, then reboot into bootloader (camera+power) and check if device says..

Dream PVT 32b SHIP S-on
HBOOT 1.33.0013d (drea10000)
CPLD-4
RADIO 2.22.28.25
OCT 21,2009,22:33:27

If that is what you see than you did it correctly and are free to flash the latest Roms for the G1

Here is original thread for EzTerry's 2708+... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831139

2~By-pass Google sign-in(Wi-Fi)

Quote:

You must be on stock 1.0 firmware (rc29-US rc7-UK)
also please remove your sim card if you have one in the device.(you can put it back in later)

You must also have ADB installed on your Computer (Extract to C: Drive), Download & Install the USB drivers. U can Manually Install when Computer Asks for the Drivers once U Connect your G1.

Last, you must have a Wi-Fi connection ready for signing into google

1- Plug your G1, power on & Install Drivers.(DO NOT press any buttons on device after powering on)
2- Now open keyboard and type this(again do not press anything else untill prompted), ( <enter>setprop persist.service.adb.enable 1<enter> ) Even though u dont see what u r typing, but u are actually executing a Command on your G1 to Enable USB Debugging in Settings.
3- Once u Execute that Command USB Drivers will be Installed again, but this time will be recognised as ADB Interface.
4- on computer Click Start>Run>cmd> to Command Prompt
5- Type c:\(sdk folder)\tools\adb devices (If your Device is Connected u will see it)
6- Restart your G1 but now With Sim, to see the Activation Screen then Plug USB Cable & Type c:\adb devices (to make sure u are connected)
7- Type c:\adb shell (U will see a $ sign) Just Copy & Paste this into Command Prompt (am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings) The Settings Screen will Appear, now Switch on Wi-Fi & Connect to the Internet.
8- Now u can either Login with your Existing or Create New Account with Google.

The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to ldrifta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ldrifta Ad-Free
27th May 2011, 09:19 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lynn, Mass

More
3~No Recovery?

Quote:

quote by EzTerry:

Dream
1) Download: Orange.nbh
2) enter fastboot and run 'fastboot flash nbh orange-1.58.73.2.nbh'
3) wait for the entire nbh to flash
4) boot into the bootloader again (it will be an engineering SPL 1.42.2000)
5) You can now re-flash the radio/hboot/recovery via fastboot that you wish to have installed.

found here: 2708+ enabled kernel [14MB ram with radio 2.22.27.08/2.22.28.25 & hboot 1.33.0013d]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------
4~Engineering SPL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Engineering SPL.zip

Quote:

quote from EzTerry:

If you just temporarily need an engineering SPL (and recovery is working):
(and have SPL 1.33.0013 + radio 2.22.27.08):
1) Nanroid backup
2) Flash (via recovery) Engineering SPL.zip
3) do what you need to in the engineering SPL
4) reflash 1.33.0013d as above (install, reboot bootloader, fastboot erase)
5) restore nandroid

** Please remember if you have CustomMTD to remove it before flashing a SPL or Radio from recovery

found here: 2708+ enabled kernel [14MB ram with radio 2.22.27.08/2.22.28.25 & hboot 1.33.0013d]

Fastboot --help

Quote:

quote from CyanogenMod wiki:

usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
update <filename> ------------------------ reflash device from update.zip
flashall ----------------------------------- flash boot + recovery + system
flash <partition> [ <filename> ] ------------ write a file to a flash partion
erase <partition> ------------------------- erase a flash partition
getvar <variable> ------------------------- display a bootloader variable
boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] --------------- download and boot kernel
flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] ------ create bootimage and flash it
devices ----------------------------------- list all connected devices
continue ---------------------------------- continue with autoboot
reboot ------------------------------------ reboot device normally
reboot-bootloader ------------------------- reboot device into bootloader

options:
-w ---------------------------------------- erase userdata and cache
-s <serial number> ------------------------- specify device serial number
-p <product> ------------------------------ specify product name
-c <cmdline> ------------------------------ override kernel commandline
-i <vendor id> ----------------------------- specify a custom USB vendor id
-b <base_addr> --------------------------- specify a custom kernel base address
-n <page size> ---------------------------- specify the nand page size. default:2048

5~Un-Rooting

Download these files...

DREAIMG.nbh
update.zip

Now would be a good time to un partition your sd card since there will no longer be a custom recovery..

1. first you take the "DREAIMG.nbh" file and the first "update.zip" file and place on root of sdcard!

2. start phone in recovery mode (home+power) do a quick wipe of everything! than flash the update.zip file.. wait for finish than reboot or power off.. whatever prompts tell you. than make sure device is powered off after finished installing!

3. power on via fastboot (camera+power) and wait for selection to pop up asking to install the update! press confirmation button to apply and let it work its magic!!

Now your phone will be on stock android 1.0 firmware! you have 2 options..
a. wait for automated updates.. could take up to 48 hrs..
b. flash updates to 1.5 and or 1.6 via stock recovery!

if you chose option b than you are smart! lol who wants to wait for updates for a G1 nowadays? lol

ok so now to apply updates via stock recovery you do what you would normally do.

Download these files...

Stock 1.5 (OTA)
Stock 1.6 (OTA)

(the stock 1.5 and 1.6 files are also "update.zip" so be sure not to mix them up and confuse the proccess!!)

1. Place files on root of sd.. DO NOT RENAME FILES, the stock recovery will only flash an "update.zip" so please dont make any changes to file.names...

2. boot into recovery mode (home+power) and wait for screen with yellow triangle and this thing ! now press alt+L together untill you see more words pop up on screen..

3. Now press alt+w to wipe the data on phone... (just do it dont ask why) lol after wipe is complete press alt+s to apply update! once it's finished reboot your device and you are ready to go!!

unfortunately the 1.6 i provided is not the DMD40, you still have to wait for that automatic update lol i have the 1.6 before the update... it is the official tmobile firmware its just not the latest.. never really bothered to search for latest one..

Thanks to EzTerry, CyanogenMod, Firerat & all developers of the HTC Dream!! and ofcoarse the wonderfull people of XDA!!
ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO ASK
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ldrifta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ldrifta Ad-Free
28th May 2011, 12:25 AM |#3  
Flag Marietta, GA
Thanks Meter: 73

More
nice guide you got there. wish this was around last week before i ended up bricking another g1 i had. lol

but there is one thing wrong with your guide, but it isnt a major thing. you dont actually need an active data plan to bypass the log in screen if you follow this method for that. that's what i used since i myself dont have a data plan and it worked for me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilchicano For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lilchicano Ad-Free
28th May 2011, 07:35 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lynn, Mass

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilchicano

nice guide you got there. wish this was around last week before i ended up bricking another g1 i had. lol

but there is one thing wrong with your guide, but it isnt a major thing. you dont actually need an active data plan to bypass the log in screen if you follow this method for that. that's what i used since i myself dont have a data plan and it worked for me

hey thanks for the info!! i will add it in the guide! was unsure if there was a method to get by the sign in lol you did this yourself?
The Following User Says Thank You to ldrifta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ldrifta Ad-Free
30th May 2011, 06:41 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 340

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrifta

If you are already rooted send me a pm with info on your device so i can tell you what step to pick up on..

This Phone is already rooted running Dream 32
Hboot 0.95.0000
CPLD-4
Radio 2.22.23.02
At what point do I need to start?

Please PM me the steps or reply here.
1. When you say to delete old files in step two do you mean the 4 files I put on the phone in step 1.
2. When you say delete old files in step 3 just the files that were added in Step 2?
3. Then which rom do you recommend?
30th May 2011, 06:58 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lynn, Mass

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfslicer

This Phone is already rooted running Dream 32
Hboot 0.95.0000
CPLD-4
Radio 2.22.23.02
At what point do I need to start?

Please PM me the steps or reply here.
1. When you say to delete old files in step two do you mean the 4 files I put on the phone in step 1.
2. When you say delete old files in step 3 just the files that were added in Step 2?
3. Then which rom do you recommend?

yes when i say to delete files im talkin about the ones from the previous step, and i recomend the 3 roms listed at bottom of guide i suggest you start off at step 2 boot into recovery go to wipe data and do so.. than flash the "spl" file first, than wipe data again and flash the "danger spl"!! no need to flash radio file because you are currently on that radio.. lol than just continue on to step 3!
30th May 2011, 07:26 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 340

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrifta

yes when i say to delete files im talkin about the ones from the previous step, and i recomend the 3 roms listed at bottom of guide i suggest you start off at step 2 boot into recovery go to wipe data and do so.. than flash the "spl" file first, than wipe data again and flash the "danger spl"!! no need to flash radio file because you are currently on that radio.. lol than just continue on to step 3!

Started at Step 2 Wiped, but there is no selection on the menu to select a zip file, just update zip. Is the Update zip from step 1 supposed to be on the phone even though I started at step 2. I tried download an update.zip with clockwork but get signature verification failed.
30th May 2011, 08:12 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 526

More
Great guide!

Thanks for using my name in step 3
Step 3 is perfect
BTW: Here is my version.

I think the root proces goes faster without downgrading, only search for "universal androot", and install this .apk! Then click on root and your device is rootes !
And then install a recovery via "Rom Manager" from the market.
But this is my opinion I did it like that!

I didnt use any guide, I made everything by myself and it worked! Rooting, 2.22.23.02 radio and 1.33.2005 hboot(spl), and then the 2.22.27.08 radio and 1.33.0013d hboot, flash a Rom!
But I thought, that the most people have the 2.22.23.02 radio, so I only write a guide about 2.22.27.08 radio + 1.33.0013d hboot!
The Following User Says Thank You to habitat22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift habitat22 Ad-Free
30th May 2011, 09:36 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lynn, Mass

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfslicer

Started at Step 2 Wiped, but there is no selection on the menu to select a zip file, just update zip. Is the Update zip from step 1 supposed to be on the phone even though I started at step 2. I tried download an update.zip with clockwork but get signature verification failed.

That means you dont have a custom recovery.. which also might mean your not rooted.. you should follow the un-root method first and than try this guide from step 1 and you will be all set i promise!
30th May 2011, 09:40 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lynn, Mass

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat22

Great guide!

Thanks for using my name in step 3
Step 3 is perfect
BTW: Here is my version.

I think the root proces goes faster without downgrading, only search for "universal androot", and install this .apk! Then click on root and your device is rootes !
And then install a recovery via "Rom Manager" from the market.
But this is my opinion I did it like that!

I didnt use any guide, I made everything by myself and it worked! Rooting, 2.22.23.02 radio and 1.33.2005 hboot(spl), and then the 2.22.27.08 radio and 1.33.0013d hboot, flash a Rom!
But I thought, that the most people have the 2.22.23.02 radio, so I only write a guide about 2.22.27.08 radio + 1.33.0013d hboot!

Lol thanks! I originally was at 23.02 than i found your guide (thank god) lol so i figured i would put updated guide of it all! Rooting, un rooting i will add your method as well thanks for the info
31st May 2011, 12:41 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 526

More
Here is the .apk for my rooting proces:
1. Universal AndRoot 1.6.2 beta

Other version (easy+fast) for step 1
---> No downgrade needed!

1.Root
Download the Universal-AndRoot.apk, put it on your sdcard and install it with a filemanager from market.
Open the app and click on root for Android 1.6!
After, your device is rooted!

2.Recovery
Install "Rom Manager" from market and allow superuser!
Then click on "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and select "HTC Dream/G1"!
After this proces, you are allowed to flash another recovery with the "Rom Manager"
Install RA Recovery 1.7.0!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)