FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT APPS] A list for the Atrix (changes ahead! - see post #123)

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By WiredPirate, Guest on 28th May 2011, 03:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a list of root apps for Atrix users, written by an Atrix user. With the help of the Atrix community this list will continue to be updated! Let me know if there is an app you want to see added to the list. If you dont know if you have root, use Root Checker, its free.

Q: What is root?
Q: Why should I root?
A: Some apps require root or Superuser access to run. Without root you cannot run these apps.

Superuser Free, Superuser Elite $1.00, Superuser 3 BETA
After rooting your Atrix you will have Superuser installed, it grants and manages what apps have root permissions. The first time an app requests root you will see a popup message asking you to allow or deny. Also install Superuser Update Fixer.

OTA RootKeeper Free
Backup, remove and restore root. Useful for Google Video or for those who cant have root at work.

-BACKUP-

Rom Manager Free, Rom Manager Premium $5.86
Manage your ROMs via a handy UI. organize and perform backups and restores from within Android! Install your favorite ROMs over the air!

Titanium Backup Free, PRO Key $6.01
Backup, restore, freeze your apps, data & Market links. Supports protected and system apps. 0-click batch/scheduled backups. Can move apps (or data) to/from SD card! The PRO version adds 0-click batch restores, Dropbox sync, conversion between user <=> system apps, Dalvik cleaner & MORE.

Game On Free
Backup/restore (other users) game data.

-TETHERING-

WiFi Tether Free
Enables tethering via WiFi and bluetooth

Wired Tether Free
Enables tethering via USB.

Barnacle WiFi Tether Free, Barnacle WiFi Widget $1.99
Turn your phone into a Wireless Ad-hoc HotSpot.

-SECURITY-

PDroid Free
Block apps from accessing personal data without the force closes caused by blocking permissions (LBE). ROM specific patch required.

LBE Privacy Free
Enhances Android permission system and protects your privacy. Track the behavior and control the permission of installed apps.

Root Call Blocker Trial Free, Pro $4.98
Reject calls from unknown and blocked numbers. Calls are rejected before your phone connects.

Location Cache Free
This app allows you to look at the data on your device, you can see directly on a map what positions have been cached.

Wifi Protector Free, Donate $1.33
Detection and protection against all kinds of ARP related attacks.

WifiKill Free, Ad-Free $2.99
Cut network connection for specified devices.

-REMOVE ADS-

AdFree Free
Removes most ads in the browser and other apps.

Airblocker Free
Detect and block Airpush notification ads.

-CONTROL-

Juice Defender Free, Plus $2.83, Ultimate $7.10
Save power and extend battery life.

SetCPU $1.99
Allows you to set up powerful profiles to change the CPU speed under certain conditions, such as when the phone is asleep or charging, when the battery level drops below a certain point, when the phone's temperature is too high, or during certain times of day.

Autostarts $0.98
See what applications do behind your back. Shows you what apps run on phone startup, and what other events trigger in the background. Disable unwanted autostarts and speed up their phone boot.

SuperDim
Dim LCD screens (not OLED) to very low levels--lower than the OS normally allows.

DroidWall Free
Allows you to restrict which apps can access the network. Some users are having better luck with previous versions. PM me or post below the version working best for you and I will reflect that here.

APNdroid Free, APNdroid Pro $1.62
Control your phone's network connection. Pay less for data. Save battery life.

Vibralert Demo Free, Vibralert $0.99
Simple app that vibrates your phone when a call's status changes. Can also be used to track status of expensive calls. Vibration type can be customized for each alert.

Redial Me Demo Free, Redial Me $1.49
Redial numbers if the line is busy or gets disconnected at the other end.

SoftKeys Free
Provides on screen virtual keys for normal android functionality. It was created for devices lacking regular physical keys to provide input for the Home, Menu, Back, and Search buttons. SoftKeys can run as a home screen replacement or as an on-screen service hovering over all applications.

Tasker $6.52
Automate everything. Only some features require root.

AutomateIt Free, AutomateIt Pro $1.50
Define a set of your desired behaviors in response to events on your Android device. Only some features require root.

Sixaxis Controller 1.99, Sixaxis Compatibility Checker Free
Use your Sixaxis and DS3 controllers in many games and apps.

-UTILITIES-

Root Explorer $3.92
Access the whole of android's file system (including the elusive data folder).

File Expert Free
Powerful File Manager/WIFI File Transfer Web & FTP/App Manager. Install and uninstall apps silently. Optional Black Theme Plugin also free.

Super Manager Free, Super Manager Donate $5.99
File explorer, task manager, APK manager, app protector, file encrypt and decrypt with AES 256bits, FTP client for evaluation, transmission queue, FTP download / upload, device information, quick launch, switcher, shortcut, tethering switch, power current logger, mobile internet switch, super launcher.

Screen Grabber Free
When he realized other screen capture apps don't work on the Atrix, mindphaze wrote one specifically for our phones. Make sure you press his "thanks" button.

Undelete Beta Free
Allows you to recover any type of deleted file from your SD card.

MarketAccess Free
Emulates the SIM card of the chosen operator. See what apps are available in other countries.

ClockSync Free
Synchronizes device system clock with atomic time from Internet via NTP.

CacheMate Free, CacheMate $1.00
Allows you to clear cache from your device in one click.

SD Maid Free, Pro $2.17
Regain precious memory and keep it clean & tidy.

SD-Booster Free
Increase the cache size for your SD-Card.

Multi Mount SD-Card Lite Free, Multi Mount SD-Card $1.10
Access your SD-Card on your phone and PC simultaneously, changes are visible immediately.

Move2SD Enabler Free
Unlock "Move to SD" for ALL apps.

LCDDensity Free
Change LCD density settings on your phone almost on the fly. Smaller number means larger resolution. Users are reporting that changing the density can cause the stock dialer to fc. Dialer2 has been reported working while changing density on Atrix.

Chainfire3D Free, Chainfire3D Pro $4.31
An intermediary OpenGL driver. It sits between your apps and the graphics drivers, and can intercept and/or change commands between the two.

Battery Calibration Free
Calibration needs to be done after flashing a new ROM, but you can calibrate any time you think your battery is miscalibrated.

FasterFix Free
Get faster GPS-Fixes.

Set DNS Free, Set DNS Pro $1.70
Use custom nameservers on WiFi AND 3G/mobile networks.

BusyBox Free, Donate $3.99
Provides many standard Unix tools. A small executable for use with the Linux kernel, which makes it ideal for use with embedded devices. It has been self-dubbed "The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux".

SQLite Editor $2.94
Allows you to edit and delete records in any SQLite database on your phone.

BlueputDroid Free, BlueputDroidPro $2.82
Use your device as a mouse/keyboard for your PC/PS3.

-ALL-IN-ONE-

ROM Toolbox Free, ROM Toolbox Pro $5.00
Combines all the great root apps all tied up into one monster app.

Root Tools $1.50
Increase performance or change fonts and boot animations with a single click. Remove system or data apps easily and more.

Absolute System Root Tools $1.99
File browser/management, zip creation/extract, bulk email files, bulk copy/move/delete files, image previews, APK file viewer/extraction, bootanimation.zip editor, preview/DL 200 boot animations, import boot animations you've placed on /sdcard/, preview/DL 200 Fonts, app backup+data to SD, remove system/data apps, cache/data Clear, modify ASCII Files, ad Block, build.prop editor, SQLite3 database viewer & more.

Optimize ToolBox (15 functions) Free
System scan, app manager, startup manager, (un)installer, program manager, cache clean, file explorer, power saving, and quick profiles.

Motomizer Free, Motomizer Pro $2.63
Easy for system optimization and properties setting.

-ACTUAL BOOT ANIMATIONS (not managers)-

live dmesg lite Free, live dmesg $2.15
The only boot animation replacement that shows the actual dmesg log (kernel debug messages). Information you see on screen is real and live, not a pre-recorded fake.

live logcat lite Free, live logcat $2.15
The only boot animation replacement that shows the actual logcat log (Android debug messages). Information you see on screen is real and live, not a pre-recorded fake.

Please click the if this list is helpful.
The Following 108 Users Say Thank You to WiredPirate For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift WiredPirate Ad-Free

28th May 2011, 04:53 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,242

More
Much appreciated!
28th May 2011, 04:59 AM |#3  
Flag Asheville, NC
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Cant forget about JRummy's Root Tools app. Pick it up in the market. It's worth it. Allows you to change boot animations, fonts, etc, and make other changes requiring root access.
28th May 2011, 05:26 AM |#4  

More
I picked up Autostarts and Droidwall after reading this. Unfortunately Droid wall is suffering from some error messages.
WiredPirate
28th May 2011, 05:27 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincanada84

Cant forget about JRummy's Root Tools app. Pick it up in the market. It's worth it. Allows you to change boot animations, fonts, etc, and make other changes requiring root access.

Added. I haven't used it myself, most of its features I already have other apps for. I am wondering about the "random boot animation" feature.. Does it allow to pick a folder of my own .zips similar to how Wallr changes wallpapers? Or does it only change between the bootanimations built into the app?
WiredPirate
28th May 2011, 05:34 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwatmyself

I picked up Autostarts and Droidwall after reading this. Unfortunately Droid wall is suffering from some error messages.

Some users are having better luck with older versions, I will add the link to the op as well. Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot about this issue because I haven't used it in a couple months, I upgraded from the 200M to the 2G.
28th May 2011, 01:53 PM |#7  
Flag Aberdeen
Thanks Meter: 762

Donate to Me
More
Downloaded AutoStarts. Testing it now. I have uninstalled some apps previously because they autostart and I don't want them to, so we'll see if this works.

<edit> Without testing any features other than preventing some apps from starting through the "After Startup" menu, my boot time has decreased quite a bit, and I have over 100MB more of free RAM after boot up.
Also tested that apps which were prevented from starting would still start up on demand, and they do.
28th May 2011, 04:12 PM |#8  

More
Thumbs up
Quote:

WiredPirate

I see you are up in the bright lights now: http://motoatrix.net/list-of-root-ap...otorola-atrix/

I have to say I do like the Autostarts app. Having fewer apps in memory reduces the risk of apps misbehaving with the CPU which I often find to be the case. I think half the battle with apps remaining in memory is having to monitor CPU for those background apps (SystemPanel is the best http://android.nextapp.com/site/systempanel for this!). Otherwise, 8 hours later you discover one such offender and have a steeper than usual battery drain on your hands. I don't think auto-task killers is the answer. A combination of boot management and process monitoring is the solution.... But you wouldn't tell your mother to do that with her Android phone... better just give her a car battery on wheels.
WiredPirate
28th May 2011, 05:35 PM |#9  

More
Wow, featured in less than 12 hours! Sweet. It makes me happy to know the list useful. Definately rewarding. thanks all.
28th May 2011, 07:08 PM |#10  
Flag Aberdeen
Thanks Meter: 762

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredPirate

Wow, featured in less than 12 hours! Sweet. It makes me happy to know the list useful. Definately rewarding. thanks all.

April Fool!

j/k
3rd June 2011, 07:47 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
When following the "Wifi Tether" link I don't see Atrix as an option for supported phones to download .apk file. Which version do you have working on the Atrix?

thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apps, atrix, list, root, superuser

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)