FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[tutorial] changing code in hxd

9,739 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,631

By fernando sor, Recognized Themer on 28th May 2011, 06:23 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I thought i would type an hxd guide for all the perspective themers out there. This is just an example and although reading code in hxd is confusing at first , stick with it , its a quick and easy way to change color code. Ill try to do an apktool quick guide next.

This is just a basic guide to using hxd to change hex values. I use apk tool also but for just quick app color changes I think this is the best method.
Download and install hxd, its free. Open up the program and select new under file. For an example im going to talk about changing the border color when changing apps in the homescreen. Remember RGB stands for red,green,blue so if your color code is stock android green it would read in html ff00ff00. the last three sets of numbers representing red-00 green-ff blue-00. As i said Stock android color for this is set to green which in android is 00 ff 00. Remember when reading the codes in HXD it is backwards. Obviously this doesn’t matter with green as it is the same in reverse. So we want to change it blue. That code is ff 00 00. In regular html language ff 00 00 is red. You will hate this later believe me. Lol. ff appears at the beginning of color values with no transparency. it stands for alpha. it will be at the beginning and make the color value to appear to have 8 numbers or letters. remember in hxd it is reversed so android green is 00ff00ff.
For example we will change the color border that appears when you long press an app or widget in the htc application Rosie which is the default htc launcher.
Ok to change the border color from green to blue for example open up Rosie with 7zip and extract the resources.arsc. Put this in hxd. If we know for sure were looking for 00 ff 00 then go to search and find, when the drop down menu appears select hex values under data type and next to search for -type 00 ff 00 ff. there is only one instance of this green color and it will take you to it. Make your change and save. When you’re familiar with this you can make this edit in seconds. Place back in the app and close it up.
When you’re dealing with an apk that has multiple colors and various shades of the color you want to change it becomes a little more challenging. There are literally thousands of possible color combinations so this is what I do to speed things up. First off it’s easy to spot white, grey and black. White is ff ff ff.
Black is 00 00 00. Grey is a blend of the two, usually a similar string like 3e 3e 3e. so open a webpage with a html color converter. This is the one I use. http://html-color-codes.info/
Or this for gradients. http://www.color-hex.com/gradient/9d9e9d
So at the beginning of the code in your search box type in 08 00 00 1c . Make sure the search box is set to forward. Your code will be right next to it. Also make sure the 08 00 00 1c is not highlighted or you won’t advance. At times the search code is 08 00 00 1d. That was the case when I recently themed the new market but it is a rule 08 00 00 1c . When you come to a code you’re not familiar with then type it into your converter. Remember to type it in backwards or backwards to what is in hxd. Your actually typing it in forward. ! Now you know the location. The color will pinpoint it for you.
Obviously grey, black and white are harder to find as they appear everywhere. Where this is easy is in apps where you know a specific color is. in the new gingerbread keyboard for example we know there is orange and probably in only one or two places.
For framework you’re better off with apk manager, apktool or a combination of that and hxd.
I hope this helps guys!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fernando sor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fernando sor Ad-Free

30th May 2011, 05:07 AM |#2  
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter: 978

Donate to Me
More
Huge thanks for this. You gave it to me months ago, but thanks from anyone who uses it. This makes simple color changes, well, simple.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
30th May 2011, 05:27 AM |#3  
OP Recognized Themer
Flag north of the wall
Thanks Meter: 5,631

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxbv2

Huge thanks for this. You gave it to me months ago, but thanks from anyone who uses it. This makes simple color changes, well, simple.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Thanks. I changed it a little from the original

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA Premium App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fernando sor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fernando sor Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)