FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Open source driver for FIMG 3DSE (GPU of Galaxy 3)

358 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,615

By tom3q, Inactive Recognized Developer on 31st May 2011, 01:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am posting here as I am not allowed to do so in development subforum.

Anyway, I am the developer of the OpenFIMG project (formerly GLES6410), which is aiming to provide proper OpenGL support on devices with FIMG 3DSE 3D engine, found in S3C6410, S5PC100 and probably also in S5P6442. The project is in a pretty advanced state as it is already capable of running Android 2.3 with hardware acceleration. Still many OpenGL extensions and some core features (like lighting) are still missing. More info can be found here: https://github.com/tom3q/openfimg/wiki.

It is very likely (and almost confirmed) that the SoC used in Galaxy 3 (S5P6442) contains the same GPU as the one in S3C6410, which is the chip inside Galaxy Spica and similar phones, at least basing on what Quadrant and GLbenchmark show and on GL libraries supposed to be dumped from Galaxy 3.

What I am trying to say is that my project may also be useful on Galaxy 3, but I am the only developer working on it and I am doing it in my free time, so it does not progress as fast as one may expect. In other words, I am looking for some other developers interested in this project.

If you are interested, then do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

Mod EDIT : moving this to development

EDIT: Attached some documents about FIMG 3DSE (based on S3C6410 documentation and my reverse engineering)

EDIT: The project has been successfully used on G3. Builds of ICS for G3 use OpenFIMG as primary graphics driver currently and there are update packages for CM7.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fimg_3dse_docs.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.42 MB, 3689 views)
The Following 70 Users Say Thank You to tom3q For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tom3q Ad-Free

31st May 2011, 03:24 PM |#2  
Flag Québec City
Thanks Meter: 4,635

More
Very interesting .. I send you PM.
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to marcellusbe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift marcellusbe Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 03:49 PM |#3  
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Galaxy 3 has no GPU.
31st May 2011, 03:52 PM |#4  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Warsaw

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbm23

Galaxy 3 has no GPU.

Based on what?
All my sources state that it has exactly the same FIMG 3DSE rev. 1.5 as in S3C6410.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tom3q For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tom3q Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 04:36 PM |#5  
Flag Athens

More
Based on the fact that no site says that the I5800 has a GPU and that graphics on games are really laggy.
Unless you are not talking about a discrete GPU.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpbm23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mpbm23 Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 04:43 PM |#6  
Flag Warsaw

More
No mobile phone contains a discrete GPU. All of them are embedded inside some SoC chip, some are better (SGX, Adreno), some are worse (FIMG 3DSE).

It is exactly the same as with Spica and similar phones. Games are laggy because the hardware is not a speed daemon and the performance is even more impacted by really _broken_ drivers.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tom3q For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tom3q Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 04:50 PM |#7  
Flag Athens

More
Then why nobody write that it has GPU like all the other phones like Galaxy S ,Nexus S etc?
31st May 2011, 05:06 PM |#8  
Flag Warsaw

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbm23

Then why nobody write that it has GPU like all the other phones like Galaxy S ,Nexus S etc?

Because it is a low end phone, software support for this GPU is very bad and the GPU itself is not a speed daemon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom3q For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tom3q Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 05:35 PM |#9  
Flag Nagpur
Thanks Meter: 545

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3q

Because it is a low end phone, software support for this GPU is very bad and the GPU itself is not a speed daemon.

Okay..so your project involves developing real good drivers so that even the g3 low end gpu can perform better, right?

Sent from the 3rd Galaxy !
31st May 2011, 05:39 PM |#10  
Flag Warsaw

More
Yes. Of course, it will not work on par with Adreno 200 or similar GPUs, but should at least work a bit better. The main target is to run Android 2.3 (and future versions, which will not work will original drivers, because of missing extensions) with full hardware acceleration and without bugs found in Samsung drivers.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to tom3q For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tom3q Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 05:45 PM |#11  
Flag Nagpur
Thanks Meter: 545

More
Hmmm.. Nice .. Good luck with your project.. One of our devs marcellusbe is working on porting CM7 to G3.. This would surely help him ..

Sent from the 3rd Galaxy !
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)