FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Is usb charging supported on acer iconia a500 tab

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By biswajeet.dash, Junior Member on 31st May 2011, 04:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

can my acer iconia be charged via the usb?

31st May 2011, 04:36 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
No it cannot be charged via USB.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to brewmaster For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brewmaster Ad-Free
31st May 2011, 04:44 PM |#3  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Most of the tablets can't be charged over USB - the A/C charger for the Acer is a 12v and I think (don't have mine with me at the moment) over 1 amp; even USB 3.0 only puts out 5v and maxes at 1a.

Having said that, it'd be nice if they could take a trickle charge over the USB input to reduce the battery drain, even if it can't fully charge the battery.
31st May 2011, 04:50 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
If anyone here also owns a Nook Color you may have noticed that it won't charge over USB either, and in fact even requires a custom "USB" cable attached to their power adapter for charging. Their cable looks like a regular USB cable but it is not.

The screens and batteries are just too big to support the tiny amount of power USB is designed to provide.
31st May 2011, 07:10 PM |#5  
Flag Spring Hil, TN
Thanks Meter: 101

More
Nope, no charging over USB. It has to do with the amount of charge needed to charge the device and USB is unable go generate the needed power.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App
22nd July 2011, 03:29 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermage1

If anyone here also owns a Nook Color you may have noticed that it won't charge over USB either, and in fact even requires a custom "USB" cable attached to their power adapter for charging. Their cable looks like a regular USB cable but it is not.

The Nook Color does in fact charge over USB. I do it all the time. The only time it needs the AC power adapter is if it next to dead, and you get the "Battery too low to power on". Also, the AC adapter, even though it outputs via MicroUSB, will NOT charge other devices as it doesn't fit exactly for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to martyxng For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyxng Ad-Free
22nd July 2011, 11:07 PM |#7  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyxng

The Nook Color does in fact charge over USB. I do it all the time. The only time it needs the AC power adapter is if it next to dead, and you get the "Battery too low to power on". Also, the AC adapter, even though it outputs via MicroUSB, will NOT charge other devices as it doesn't fit exactly for some reason.

My (retired) 1st gen Sony eReader was like that also, USB charge didn't work once the batt level got too low
22nd July 2011, 11:36 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
NO
Like stated before almost no tablet charges over usb. and like one poster pointed out not even the nook color charges over usb I have one as well.
One poster says the nook does charge but you have to define chargeing. on wall power it charges full in like less then an hour. plugged into usb and only if its off or in sleep with no wifi running it will chrge but it will take all night. so for all purposes it dosent usb charge.

I dont know about other tablets but the iconia has TWO internal batteries(read your box see the little x2 next to the batteries) and most likely why it wont charge over usb.

To tell the truth I have not really understood the hang up on the usb charging or the short cord for the iconia. usually I charge mine when im done with it or not using it so cord length means nothing. and as far as usb charging, usb charging on anything is harder on the battieres. and most likely why alot of companies dont do it.

The whole idea is to be prtable who wants to be teathered to the wall with a charger 4 foot or 6 foot really whats the difference?

side note: the person who said the nook color cord was special? its just a standard mini usb just like on portable hard drives nothing special about it. i lost mine and just used the one from my hard drive worked just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to harlaquin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift harlaquin Ad-Free
26th July 2011, 10:25 PM |#9  
Flag Flower Mound, TX
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlaquin

To tell the truth I have not really understood the hang up on the usb charging or the short cord for the iconia. usually I charge mine when im done with it or not using it so cord length means nothing. and as far as usb charging, usb charging on anything is harder on the batteries. and most likely why alot of companies don't do it.

I think the point with USB charging is it one less adapter you have to carry... if everyting supported the same port type it would make life much easier the the micro USB has been a nice solution for phones
26th July 2011, 10:51 PM |#10  
Flag Alexandria, VA
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas-saluki

I think the point with USB charging is it one less adapter you have to carry... if everyting supported the same port type it would make life much easier the the micro USB has been a nice solution for phones

That would be great. Maybe someday they will design a transport port and technology allowing a single port to both be intelligent enough to transport files to/from a computer as well as charge these devices.

For now, as others have said - the batteries in the A500 take too much juice to be charged through the USB port. Imagine having to charge your tablet for 48 hrs? Or worse, while it's charging you pick it up to check a website and even while charging it just starts draining because the batteries are juicing out faster than they can be charged?

It just wouldn't work.
27th July 2011, 09:08 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlaquin

To tell the truth I have not really understood the hang up on the usb charging or the short cord for the iconia. usually I charge mine when im done with it or not using it so cord length means nothing. and as far as usb charging, usb charging on anything is harder on the battieres. and most likely why alot of companies dont do it.

I'm traveling to Germany in a few weeks. I have an adapter for my Dell Laptop to deal with the Power over there. The ability to charge my tablet, phone, and any other devices from my laptop would be awesome. If I wish to take my tablet, I'll need to buy another adapter / power converter that I'll hardly ever use. I often travel within the US for business, and carrying one less power adapter would be nice.

Sometimes My kids steal my tablet and use up all the battery, or I simply forget to plug it in... then I go to use it, and it's near dead. With the ridiculously short cord I cant use it while it charges unless I want to sit on the floor next to an electrical outlet or use an extension cord. And of course of the 50 or so power bricks I have.. none match..

While these things are slightly inconvenient.. It's not a show stopper. I love my Iconia.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)