FORUMS

[Q][HELP] Lost GPS after Flashing Samsung Galaxy 551 (i5510L)

204 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By splattx_x, Senior Member on 1st June 2011, 11:02 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Hi, I was using stock ROM from my operator CLARO Argentina, and about a week ago I decided to try newer ROM from Samfirmware... big mistake because I flashed European ROM and lost 3G and GPS. I don't care much about the 3G actually since 2G works, slow but fine. What I really need is GPS and I can't understand why it doesn't work since it should work globally, it doesn't depend on local frequency bands like 3G.

Now I have:
PDA: I5510XWKD4
PHONE: I5510XWKD1
CSC: I5510LCTIJK2

I've tried every configuration, fix app, doctor and optimization available in market and also some manual tweaking on the phone but nothing... it doesn't even see the satellites in GPSTest. So I think it goes deeper, maybe something driver related? Anyway I've come up with a few possible causes and solutions I would like to ask for your help and experience to figure out if they're reasonable and your opinion on whether they could work or not.

1. Driver related, compile own kernel from opensource.samsung.com and reflash only boot.img (Have all the tools, now learning how to do this) Q: could I brick my phone beyond repair by flashing my own compiled kernel?

I found a few differences between callisto_rev03_defconfig from I5510L and I5510 which I will list but none seem related to the GPS... it seems they apply to storage.
Also I found out that the GPS is integrated into the Qualcomm MSM7X27 chip which both phones have so I'm starting to feel drivers are not the issue here... This is getting disturbing, it seems that none of the model differences have to do with the GPS so... it should work with no problems...

Extra lines in config for I5510L:
Code:
#Derek:Added for Latin Kernel Feature:2010.08.20
CONFIG_SAMSUNG_LTN_COMMON=y
CONFIG_SAMSUNG_LTN_B=n
CONFIG_SAMSUNG_LTN_L=y
I5510L:
Code:
# LinuStoreIII Flash Devices (FSR)
#
CONFIG_RFS_FSR=m
CONFIG_RFS_FSR_STL=m
CONFIG_RFS_STL_DELETE=y
I5510:
Code:
# LinuStoreIII Flash Devices (FSR)
#
#@CONFIG_RFS_FSR=m
#@CONFIG_RFS_FSR_STL=m
#@CONFIG_RFS_STL_DELETE=y
I5510L:
Code:
# Samsung Param support
#
CONFIG_MSM_PARAM=m
[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I5510:[/COLOR]
Code:
# Samsung Param support
#
#@CONFIG_MSM_PARAM=m
I5510L:
Code:
# RFS Filesystem
#
CONFIG_RFS_FS=m
Code:
# RFS Filesystem
#
#SCONFIG_RFS_FS=m
I5510L:
Code:
# RFS Core Filesystems
#
CONFIG_RFS_FS_CORE_FAT=m
CONFIG_RFS_FS_FAT_VFAT=y
Code:
# RFS Core Filesystems
#
#@CONFIG_RFS_FS_CORE_FAT=m
#@CONFIG_RFS_FS_FAT_VFAT=y

2. App related. I notice there are a few apps that seem related to GPS/location, maybe restoring one of this apps could help? I have Ti backup from before flashing, but don't know exactly which apps could be responsible. Haven't tried this yet.

3. I read in a few places that radio.img could be responsible for both 3G loss and GPS loss, is there anyway to get this radio from somewhere? Perhaps another phone? Remember I have i5510L which is slightly different from plain i5510.
NEW Perhaps replacing system.rfs from original rom into KD4 pda and then reflashing could shed some light whether it's app related or not... is it too dangerous for the phone to do this?

That's all I can come up with now, any help would be greately appreciated. Also if someone knows where to get original firmware would be welcome too. I took my phone to service but they still haven't received samsung repair box so they told me I just have to wait
2nd June 2011, 05:07 AM |#2  
Senior Moderator / Developer Committee Lead / Recognized Developer- Lord of Memes
Thanks Meter: 12,561

More
Smile
from what i know amss_phone has the phone's radio.So you will need the amss of your country/carrier.(I was wrong I guess ).
Can you achieve root in recovery mode ?
If yes I can flash Clockworkmod recovery .

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=831725&page=2
2nd June 2011, 04:03 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karandpr

from what i know amss_phone has the phone's radio.So you will need the amss of your country/carrier.(I was wrong I guess ).
Can you achieve root in recovery mode ?
If yes I can flash Clockworkmod recovery .

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=831725&page=2

radio seems promising since kernel doesn't unfortunately I don't have and haven't found anywhere Odin files for i5510L. But a fellow member of XDA kraka23 was smarter than me and has dumps of all the partitions on his phone. Do you have an idea which partition could be radio.img? If so, I could ask him for it.

On the recovery side, I have no clue... sorry. I don't even know how to check if I have root in recovery, but I'm willing to learn and help... if you are patient with me.
2nd June 2011, 05:18 PM |#4  
Senior Moderator / Developer Committee Lead / Recognized Developer- Lord of Memes

More
Smile
I wouldnt do that .
One wrong move and you could blow off your phone.
Yes flashing partition is dangerous cos there have been instances where people blew off the download/recovery mode.
The Following User Says Thank You to karandpr For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd June 2011, 01:27 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks for the heads up! That sucks then because Odin files for my original rom are nowhere to be found

Update: I restored as many apps that I could find that seemed related to GPS from my Ti backup but didn't work either... I'm starting to feel hopeless here. I just hope they get the samsung box soon in the service bc it's looking like my only hope... well that or gettin' insurance for it and then making it "sleep with the fishes" (won't actually do that of course)

NEW Perhaps replacing system.rfs from original rom into KD4 pda and then reflashing could shed some light whether it's app related or not... is it too dangerous for the phone to do this?
3rd June 2011, 03:53 AM |#6  

More
Talking
Well I dont think it will help.
If the radio is in amss file ,how will replacing system.rfs help ?
It wont be dangerous via odin.
Using dd to replace parts is risky and currently we have only 4-5 motivated people losing one will be 20 p.c. damage to the work force ..
Well the care centre in ur area.Be chummy with the dude who is inside .You might be able to wrestle the four files when they receive the "kit".
Edit 1 : I was reading disclaimers on samfirmware and they said that replacing cross continent firmwares may result in loss of 3G connections
3rd June 2011, 06:11 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Yes I knew there was a chance to mess up 3G but I thought it would be fixable... and it doesn't matter that much to me. But the GPS loss is really weird. I reflashed the firmware to rule out an odd flashing error but it still doesn't work...

I meant flashing a system.rfs to see if Apps were the problem. If I do get radio.img somehow and merge it with KD4 rom and flash with Odin, would that be safer?
3rd June 2011, 06:17 AM |#8  

More
I dont think so radio.img will help .You will require CM recovery and it doesnt work on samsung phones.
15th June 2011, 02:15 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Yeessssssssssssssssssssss!!!!! I Fixxx the GPSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Same problem that splattx_x1!. I lost the GPS after flash the KD4 rom...

Here the solution:

Download this file:
megaupload.com/?d=0BHWKAJ1

This is amss_phone from I5510TVJKD1 brasilian rom!!!!. I came to test with brasilian radio and Eureka!!!! the GPS is back!

I hope I can help if some Latin American countries. I'm from Argentina

Cheers!!!!!

EDIT: I forget the instructions!!

Flash this file with Odin. JUST ONLY THIS FILE (amss_phone)

In the PHONE buttom in Odin, select the "amss_phone_brasil.tar" file an flash it!. I repeat ... ONLY THIS FILE!!
15th June 2011, 03:22 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
This is awesome news for Latin american users of Galaxy 551, unfortunately I was not very patient and went to my provider and changed my phone. Now I have a galaxy mini... (my phone also kept freezing and shutting down).

But great great news!!! Congrats!!
18th July 2011, 03:50 AM |#11  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 22

Donate to Me
More
Did you have this entire package? I5510TVJKD1 ?
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
15510l, callisto, galaxy 551, gps, i5510
Previous Thread Next Thread