FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Root instructions...

625 posts
Thanks Meter: 126

By Haxcid, Senior Member on 2nd June 2011, 04:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Originally posted by Stetsonaw at androidforums...

Please be aware that I did not write these instructions. I only posted them. Stetsonaw wrote these instructions. While comfortable in ADB and have rooted my phone many times in testing as well as rolled back the versions etc... I have no more insight into how or why it is not working for you. If you followed the directions exactly on a version 4 phone, this should work no problem.

Haxcid

Links to the necessary files are listed at the bottom.

Remember, I am not at fault if you brick your phone, now, proceed.

Connect your phone in charge only mode to install the LG Bootstrapper and drivers, or grab the LG Universal Drivers.

Change your USB Mode to Internet Connection
Go into Settings/Applications/Development and ensure USB Debugging is turned on
If all goes according to plan, you should see the ADB Ladybug icon in your notification bar

I updated the Rootzwiki page with the same info found below.

Busybox actually comes installed by LG on the Revo, how awesome is that??

Download the rageagainstthecage binary
Download the SU binary
Move these files to the same directory your adb.exe is in.

Code:
The > and # characters below illustrate the prompt
you should have, if you have the $ when you go into adb shell,
exit out and type 'adb usb' then go back into adb shell and
you should see the #
Open Command prompt (either use the Windows Key+R and type cmd or start/run, then type cmd)
32-bit users: >cd c:\program files\android\android-sdk\platform-tools
64-bit users: >cd c:\program files (x86)\android\android-sdk\platform-tools
Or >cd (whatever directory adb is in)

>adb devices (verifies you are connected)
>adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
(if the above command fails due to read-only, type 'adb usb' then 'adb root' to validate root status, then 'adb devices' again to verify connection)
>adb push su /data/local/temp/su
>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/temp/rage
>adb shell ./data/local/temp/rage
>adb shell (If this gives you a $ prompt instead of a # prompt, type 'su', if that fails, 'exit', 'adb usb' like above.)
#mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
#busybox cp /data/local/temp/su /system/bin/su
#chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

Verify the file is in place w/correct permissions

#cd /system/bin
#ls -l *su

After the ls command you should see the following returned by the system:
-rwsr-sr-x root root 26248 2011-05-29 01:09 su

At this point, you may way to remove the files you put in /data/local/temp (optional):
#rm /data/local/temp/su
#rm /data/local/temp/rage

continue with commands
#reboot

Download and install SuperUser from the Market

Thanks Zennmaster, _mrbirdman_ for finding the linux routes and birdman for helping me out, and droidx8971 for helping me find all the information possible!

http://wikifilez.com/Root%20Files/re...ecage-arm5.bin

http://wikifilez.com/Root%20Files/revolution/su

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

http://www.lg.com/us/support/mc-supp...er_1.0_All.exe
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Haxcid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Haxcid Ad-Free

2nd June 2011, 04:37 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ventura

More
Just a note for some. The rageagainstthecage bin file may be detected as a virus/trojan. It is not. You may want to disable your antivirus before downloading the .bin file.

I run avira on my desktop and it caught the file as a virus everytime I downloaded it and then deleted it. Avast on my laptop however did not.

Root is simple if you follow the instructions. You need to make sure that adb recognizes your device. Takes 5 minutes to complete, took me longer to install adb again and update it.
2nd June 2011, 07:04 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Any reason to not use the one click method? Seems to be working
2nd June 2011, 07:36 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ventura

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhxeon

Any reason to not use the one click method? Seems to be working

No idea. I have not used the one click. Create a thread for it. I posted what I know which is adb.
2nd June 2011, 08:32 PM |#5  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Successfully Rooted
with RootzWiki instructions for Windows, needed the remount and busybox lines to overcome the permission denied when pushing su.
2nd June 2011, 11:07 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hey guys, either using S1C or ADB Commands, have we found out if it's possible to unroot this as long as you Nand Backup the stock rom then unroot from there yet? Just because I got this phone as a filler/4g unl. lock and got buyback on it from best buy so I could buy a dual/quad later on when they come out .
2nd June 2011, 11:10 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ventura

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXFrodo195

Hey guys, either using S1C or ADB Commands, have we found out if it's possible to unroot this as long as you Nand Backup the stock rom then unroot from there yet? Just because I got this phone as a filler/4g unl. lock and got buyback on it from best buy so I could buy a dual/quad later on when they come out .

Doing a factory reset I believe will unroot you. There is no nand back up at this time. We are waiting for a recovery mod.
2nd June 2011, 11:16 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxcid

Doing a factory reset I believe will unroot you. There is no nand back up at this time. We are waiting for a recovery mod.

Oh ya I know, I just always keep a stock one, on the Inc if you factory reset from an AOSP rom, you'd bootloop, so you had to make sure you were on a Sense 1.0 or stock rom(from my experience), so I was just making sure it was no big deal to go back.

Any idea when we will have cw on this?
2nd June 2011, 11:25 PM |#9  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxcid

I tried the factory reset. I am still rooted.
2nd June 2011, 11:36 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by navycow

I tried the factory reset. I am still rooted.

That's what i figured. Can anyone verify if you remove SU and Rage through adb will it unroot?

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA Premium App
3rd June 2011, 07:11 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ventura

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXFrodo195

That's what i figured. Can anyone verify if you remove SU and Rage through adb will it unroot?

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA Premium App

If you have to return your device, simply remove the superuser app, after you unfreeze anything you may have frozen then factory reset. They honestly will never know it was rooted. The only way now that you can really tell is the super user app from market.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)