*****FOLLOW THIS FOR ROOT, THANKS TO AYOTEDDY: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1100513
*****CREDITS GO TO SANFRANX415, SS2006, AND FROZ3N*****
The following process was originally made for the Samsung Galaxy S 4G, but works perfectly on the Sidekick 4G as well. I have tested and verified this working.
1. Install "010 Hex Editor" you can use the trial version found here: http://www.sweetscape.com/010editor/
2. Install "Terminal Emulator" from the Market. Go to your Sidekick 4G and open the emulator.
*****FOLLOW THESE STEPS VERY CARFULLY*****
After opening a terminal emulator, type the following:
cd /dev/block <enter>
su <enter> <at this point your phone will ask for superuser, click access ALLOW it, if you already havent done so>
dd if=/dev/block/bml3 of=/sdcard/bml3.bak <enter>
*****THE PREVIOUS STEPS WILL PLACE A FILE NAMED "BML3.BAK" ONTO THE ROOT OF YOUR SD CARD*****
Go find the file on your SD Card and transfer it to your computer desktop.
3. Open 010 Hex Editor
4. In 010 Hex Editor, go to "File", "Open File", and open the "bml3.bak" file.
5. Once the file is opened, go to "View", "Linefeeds", "Fixed Custom", and ensure the number is set to "32"
6. Using your keyboard, select CRTL+F to search for a hex string, when the search window pops up select "Hex Byte" in the type field and then search for the following string below:
"FFFFFFFFFF0100000000" ALL TOGETHER, then hit the FIND ALL button to the right, some of you will get 2 results and others up to 10 results on your screen.
7. If you look at your Hex editor there are 3 window panes on the selected line
e.g 4CCC60h <-- Offset
01 01 01 01 < -- Hex Keys
yyyyyyyyy <- ASCII text (your 8 digit unlock code will be here)
8. Go through each result from the above search and you will see on the 3rd window pane (yyyyyyyyy) after the hex keys there is an 8 DIGIT CODE (write this code down), this is your unlock code NCK for your phone.
Sidenote: THIS 8 DIGIT CODE SHOULD SHOW ON AT-LEAST ONE MORE RESULT CHECK ALL YOUR RESULTS FROM THE SEARCH ABOVE IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS (SOME OF YOU WILL HAVE YOUR CODE SHOWN AT-LEAST 2 TIMES AND SOME OF YOU WILL HAVE THE CODE SHOW MORE THAN 4 TIMES BUT YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE THAT MANY RESULTS)
***** TO INPUT THE UNLOCK NETWORK CODE DO THE FOLLOWING *****
9. Turn off your phone
10. Insert a foreign SIM card not attached to your current provider (e.g if you have T-Mobile, use an AT&T SIM CARD), and turn on your phone.
11. You will be prompted to enter a Network Unlock Control Key (use the code above that you wrote down and type it in your phone exactly)
12. After entering your NCK please hit "Unlock" or "GO" button and you should see a screen that says "Network Unlock Successful", and your phone should go in the main screen after your phone has been unlocked.