FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] external sd card general questions

248 posts
Thanks Meter: 23

By sensei22, Senior Member on 5th June 2011, 05:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
hi, i've just got my iconia and I am also new on the Android world. A couple of things I've noticed about the external SD card that maybe somebody could help me to understand.
1.- when I hook my tablet to my windows 7 laptop, I get to see the internal memory on the win explorer but not the external card, so is this normal or do I have to look for more updated drivers on my PC?
2.- with the external SD card on I get to see my files on an android file manager and I get to open any file individually by getting the "select app for opening this file", but this is time consuming so I am wondering if my stock lumiread, gallery, multimedia player have the current limitation of only reading the content from the internal memory. If so, what free alternatives do I have to replace stock apps?

6th June 2011, 12:58 AM |#2  
Flag Fayetteville NC
Thanks Meter: 8

More
A couple of answers
First, if you install File Manager HD, you won't need to tether your Iconia to your laptop any more. In the app, open the 'menu' and touch 'LAN Connections'. Your Windows PC will show up as an IP address. Make sure to change the IP Address to a computer name (long press, rename) so that next time File Manager won't have to search for it every time. You will be able to transfer anything on the tab to the 'Public' folder on the PC, and vice versa. Depending on what folders are shared on the PC, you will be able to access more on the PC.

I keep my music on my external SD card in a folder named 'My Music'. The stock music/multimedia players found them with no problem.

I haven't tried moving any books for Lumiread to the external SD card, so all I can suggest is to look at the file structure and duplicate it on the ext SD card, copy a book into it (a new one, or move an existing one) and see if it finds it. I don't see anything within the app to set search/storage directories, but maybe it will scan everything like the music apps do.

Have fun with you new Tab. The more you play with it the more you will understand Honeycomb and it won't seem so foreign to you. It does pretty much everything every other OS does, just a little different way.

Kp
The Following User Says Thank You to kwparker80 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kwparker80 Ad-Free
6th June 2011, 05:15 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Thanks Ken, I downloaded FMHD and will try it soon. I also though about reproducing the lumiread folder on the ext sd card but no luck, so probably a future update on the app will fix that. I tried this as well copying the pictures folder (and also renaming it as 'My Pictures') but the stock gallery just won't see the image files, is there any chance you could see if you get the same results? I have not tried yet on the music stock app. Again, thanks for your help, it is great to find nice people on the web with similar tech passions as I do
12th June 2011, 03:01 PM |#4  
San Diego
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Hello Ken, like that app. Wondering if it would be an easy way to tether to my HTC Evo? Thanks in advance for you thoughts.
Bob
12th June 2011, 11:34 PM |#5  
Flag Fayetteville NC

More
Cool Get Quickpic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei22

Thanks Ken, I downloaded FMHD and will try it soon. I also though about reproducing the lumiread folder on the ext sd card but no luck, so probably a future update on the app will fix that. I tried this as well copying the pictures folder (and also renaming it as 'My Pictures') but the stock gallery just won't see the image files, is there any chance you could see if you get the same results? I have not tried yet on the music stock app. Again, thanks for your help, it is great to find nice people on the web with similar tech passions as I do

I use Quickpic from the Market (free) since it lets you choose which drives/directories to scan.
Here is what you do.

1. Create the My Pics directory on the External SD card with File Manager HD, put a few pics in it.
2. After installing Quickpic, start the app. It will display everything it finds on the internal SD Card.
3. Touch the Menu button from the main screen.
4. Choose SETTINGS-INCLUDED FOLDERS-ADD
5. Tap the double dots at the top of the list, it will display all the memory devices attached.
6. Tap EXTERNAL_SD. All directories on the card will be displayed. Press OK.

Now press the 'back' button and you will see your pics that are anywhere on the External SD card.

All I did to get the A500 music player to find the music on the External SD card was run the NemoPlayer app and open the music. Once I did that the regular music app found them, too.

Have fun!
13th June 2011, 12:32 AM |#6  
Flag Fayetteville NC

More
Evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pov1

Hello Ken, like that app. Wondering if it would be an easy way to tether to my HTC Evo? Thanks in advance for you thoughts.
Bob

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think so. From what I have seen and heard so far it is only connecting to Windows shares. I don't have an Android phone to test with, so can't swear to it, but I know it doesn't see an iPhone, so likely won't see a Mac either.

Anyone else been able to connect to anything but a Windows share? Let us know if you have, and what app you used please.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)